El Diablo Flow Swich, run away heater

Feb 14, 2009
Southwest Mo.
Real Name
Kevin Bates
3 and a half years that's awesome. I made it probably somewhere around the 900 hour mark. My arm and shoulder really started hurting me and I realized that my vacuum was starting to get really strong and I wasn't hearing the kunkle valve relieving like it normally would. Knew it was time to make a phone call and find out what might be going on.

Reactions: Certified Carpet
Jun 18, 2011
Florida
Real Name
Geoffrey Odermatt
Business Location
United States
Good thread here! I purchased my El Diablo 4 months ago. No problems until last week. Had a freak thing happen with bad fuel and the mechanic says that water was the cause of a rod being thrown. Luckily it was an easy fix and the rod did not even bend. I was up and running again within an hour. Would have only been 10min had we not have needed to follow Masterblends protocol for warranty. I agree to pay close attention to the the way the machine sounds. Stop what you're doing if you suspect anything strange and have it looked at.

Reactions: Certified Carpet

Steamin' Seaman

Jun 15, 2010
Maine
Real Name
Buddy
Business Location
United States
Good thread here! I purchased my El Diablo 4 months ago. No problems until last week. Had a freak thing happen with bad fuel and the mechanic says that water was the cause of a rod being thrown. Luckily it was an easy fix and the rod did not even bend. I was up and running again within an hour. Would have only been 10min had we not have needed to follow Masterblends protocol for warranty. I agree to pay close attention to the the way the machine sounds. Stop what you're doing if you suspect anything strange and have it looked at.

Threw a rod? What broke to cause this? Connecting rod is attached to the piston and crank shaft, so one end or the other let go?

Feb 14, 2009
Southwest Mo.
Real Name
Kevin Bates
My question is where on the vac. Gauge should the valve start bypassing and where should the vac. gauge stop. I put 75 feet hose on engine full speed put my hand on hose and eventually my gauge stopped at 14 which I believe is good but I believe it definitely started bypassing before a Nine or 10. Where is everybody got their kunkles beginning to bypass at especially those of you with a brand new machine ?

Steamin' Seaman

Jun 15, 2010
Maine
Real Name
Buddy
Business Location
United States
My question is where on the vac. Gauge should the valve start bypassing and where should the vac. gauge stop. I put 75 feet hose on engine full speed put my hand on hose and eventually my gauge stopped at 14 which I believe is good but I believe it definitely started bypassing before a Nine or 10. Where is everybody got their kunkles beginning to bypass at especially those of you with a brand new machine ?

I believe my ED is just before 14 hg's for the bypass and holding creeps to 14+.
I'll have to check it to make sure though.

Sounds weird that its bypassing at 9-10 hg then making its way to 14?

RoboShark

Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
My kero heater was runnuing away do to the flow switch sticking. It is located under the heater and has a wire coming out of it
The rep told me to take off the plug cap, remove spring, start it up at an idle and turn pump on for 5 seconds, this pushes the brass/ magnet plunger out plus any debris that may be causing it to stick. This did not work, heater was still comoing on without wand being triggered. So, reps had me take it back apart and remove spring this time and try it without spring. Works like a champ now. You have to make sure the valve/magnet goes in slotted side first.
My Diablo is brand new and they have changed this flow switch to top loading, I'm not sure if you can do this with a side loading switch because the top loading type is letting gravity do the job of the spring.

By top loading I mean that the valve/ magnet loads from the top where as the older ones may have been mounted sideways? thus, side loading.
They did offer to send me brand new switch but I figuered I let her roll like this. They have been doing this to the newer ones with sticking valves, they said it actually worked better?
This is just a heads up on a heater problem.
I m sorry i didn't read the whole thread but that flow switch will work without the spring as a temporary fix. You should still have a new one ready to put in. The last one I got actually had a plastic magnetic switch that held up better to corrosion and chemical.

Steamin' Seaman

Jun 15, 2010
Maine
Real Name
Buddy
Business Location
United States
Masterblend told me to try it without the spring seeing how the way the switch is mounted, and it worked great.
I have had no problems in almost 400 hours. It even fires at 50 psi which some ED's will not.

Feb 14, 2009
Southwest Mo.
Real Name
Kevin Bates
I'm not using a spring and it works fine. Horizontal we need a spring vertically does not need a spring. Also the little computer board is off of my El D. The first computer board malfunctioned so we replaced it under warranty had a few more problems and masterblend just had me remove it completely.

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
It all depends on Barometric pressure. It could be different everyday. The most important part you want to concern yourself with is the limit. And that should tested without hoses at the machine for proper specs.

Reactions: David Lopez