El Diablo Diesel Heater

King's C & R

Mar 14, 2015
Real Name
Stephen King
I recently bought a El Diablo with 500hrs. It's the first machine I've had besides a LP heated Judson. I'm pretty familiar with propane but no at all with diesel heaters. Machine has been working awesome until a couple days ago when I had a problem with pressure and heat. It seemed there was air in the system. The pressure and heat sky rocketed and diesel heater was pouring out smoke. We couldn't even pull the triggers on the wands. I cut the heater, pump, and machine off and put a cut solution hose we use to fill our jugs on the machine to let the pressure off. Immediately the hose was flailing around violently blowing hot steam. I figured maybe the hose from the recently de-winterized house had air in it so I switched to the fresh water tank to avoid any more problems. Everything seemed good but now today the diesel heater exhaust seems to be making much more white smoke and the heater is running between 150-180F with the thermostat on 220F. When the initial pressure and heat problem happened there was a smell of burnt rubber like something definitely overheated or was damaged. Looking for any advice on the issue and any advice period as what to keep maintained and look out for as a new Diablo owner. Calling Masterblend in the morning. Thanks everyone

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
I recently bought a El Diablo with 500hrs. It's the first machine I've had besides a LP heated Judson. I'm pretty familiar with propane but no at all with diesel heaters. Machine has been working awesome until a couple days ago when I had a problem with pressure and heat. It seemed there was air in the system. The pressure and heat sky rocketed and diesel heater was pouring out smoke. We couldn't even pull the triggers on the wands. I cut the heater, pump, and machine off and put a cut solution hose we use to fill our jugs on the machine to let the pressure off. Immediately the hose was flailing around violently blowing hot steam. I figured maybe the hose from the recently de-winterized house had air in it so I switched to the fresh water tank to avoid any more problems. Everything seemed good but now today the diesel heater exhaust seems to be making much more white smoke and the heater is running between 150-180F with the thermostat on 220F. When the initial pressure and heat problem happened there was a smell of burnt rubber like something definitely overheated or was damaged. Looking for any advice on the issue and any advice period as what to keep maintained and look out for as a new Diablo owner. Calling Masterblend in the morning. Thanks everyone
You could be experiencing heat run-on. And also at the same time possibly have a problem with the electrode spacing or improper airflow.
When the burner is blowing raw steam that is an indication that the fuel solenoid is not cutting off at the set temp. on your thermostat dial. I would try descaling the machine if you have not done so. The machine is an on-demand heater much like the propane unit you had. If the burner is firing when the trigger on the wand is closed, the heater will overheat and spew raw steam.
If your electrodes are not spaced properly, It could be burning fuel once the electrodes complete an arc. This will ignite all the fuel that was unburned inside the chamber.

Mastertek

Dec 13, 2013
My El Diablo burner has been operating well since its purchase . I like to have parts on hand for a minimum of down time . With the burner coming from Europe we have found that
parts are easily available in the UK .
If anyone has replaced the spray jet in the burner what size is required . This part is not available in Australia and help would safe me a deal of time

danbrown20

Sep 10, 2013
Shawnee, Kansas
Real Name
Dan Brown
I have also had to replace the circuit board on the heater for both of my diablos, one is at 600 hours, the other is 950. Unscrew the top of the burner and clean the electrodes of soot, if its not soot, its likely a circuit board issue.

danbrown20

Sep 10, 2013
Shawnee, Kansas
Real Name
Dan Brown
We do alot of tile and grout restoration. Its routinely ran at 1200 psi and 240 deg. We usually will float in between 220-240 deg depending on how bad we want to burn ourselves each day. On hot days, that hot metal hurts a little bit more.