El D Ignition Transformer Replacement

Paul Selby

Apr 26, 2013
South Central........Tennessee
Real Name
Paul Selby
Business Location
United States
Thanks @Paul Selby I'll try this in the AM, the thermostat is clicking, Theres no fuel from the pump @ the copper line at the pump or at the top by the electros. I'll pull it tomorrow, and recheck the flow switch, not sure I have a good jumper on it for bypassing.

If there is no flow returning to the tank, it has to be the pump itself. It is completely mechanical in that respect. The solenoid that is on the pump is what sends it to the jet. If you want to call me in the morning, feel free 931-624-0425

Certified Carpet

Oct 7, 2008
Colorado
www.certified-carpet.com
Real Name
Michael
Business Location
United States
If there is no flow returning to the tank, it has to be the pump itself. It is completely mechanical in that respect. The solenoid that is on the pump is what sends it to the jet. If you want to call me in the morning, feel free 931-624-0425

Yeah theres nothing coming back to the tank at all. Guess I check those few things you mentioned then off to Denver for the parts. Thanks for the call offer to, may need to we'll see.

Certified Carpet

Oct 7, 2008
Colorado
www.certified-carpet.com
Real Name
Michael
Business Location
United States
@Paul Selby left a message, that black coupler is stripped of its ears that line up in the assembly so I order a couple of those (one spare) so hoping its that and not the pump. Plastic and metal just don't get along they should've come with a better coupler than plastic. But it is what it is. :) And I do have over 2200hrs on it, stuff breaks.

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Glad to hear you most likely found the culprit. Nice work Gtech! This is an example of how a simple inspection of the system and moving parts can solve the problem. It's good you're getting spare couplers Certified. Those things do wear out over time. Just make sure it is Black because the White ones are crap.
Also, in the future FYI... Two pipe systems (return line)do not need to be bled of air. So if you suspect an air leak it is unlikely. Blockage in the line would be a better possible diagnosis. And finally if you ever suspect your pump is not creating pressure one trick is to put the shaft on a power drill and spin it to see if it is in fact pumping. thats also a method used if the pump is stuck from sitting too long.

Certified Carpet

Oct 7, 2008
Colorado
www.certified-carpet.com
Real Name
Michael
Business Location
United States
Glad to hear you most likely found the culprit. Nice work Gtech! This is an example of how a simple inspection of the system and moving parts can solve the problem. It's good you're getting spare couplers Certified. Those things do wear out over time. Just make sure it is Black because the White ones are crap.
Also, in the future FYI... Two pipe systems (return line)do not need to be bled of air. So if you suspect an air leak it is unlikely. Blockage in the line would be a better possible diagnosis. And finally if you ever suspect your pump is not creating pressure one trick is to put the shaft on a power drill and spin it to see if it is in fact pumping. thats also a method used if the pump is stuck from sitting too long.

Well it all started with the ignition transformer it did go bad, (my fault-watering it) then the panel rocker switch, (its been getting soft) and now the pump coupling. (its plastic I'm surprised I got 2200 hrs out of it) But hey its a hard work piece of equipment that we rarely have issues with. Their sending the black ones. As always thanks for your input as well @Ara Klujian appreciate it.

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
One hand washes the other in these kero systems. Meaning the transformer heating up and cracking could have very easily caused the motor to heat up and melt that coupler. Or vice versa.
What happened to your system happens more often in the Summer heat LOL. So its probably good you change that switch like you said.