Education

LightningCarpetCare

May 2, 2016
Real Name
Eli Rodriguez
I have been cleaning carpet for about 13 years and I'm 32 years old now I run my own company and I can actually say that since I've been on TMF. I've learned quite a few things. But I feel like I still slack on a lot of education because there's so many different ways of cleaning rugs and carpets. My question would be what would be the best way to get more educated would it be DVDs, IICRC, or what? Can someone lead me in a way to find out and educate myself more on carpet cleaning and marketing my business.

Lightning Carpet Care LLC

Reactions: admin

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Lol, disagree wars... gotta love it...

I am a big fan of IICRC classes, they not only give you specific technical information but they also help you educate the customer as to why you do things the way you do. And my guys who carry certs typically charge a good bit more per job than guys that don't.

With that in mind, any education is better than none, and there are multiple options out there. I'm not afraid to admit my bias toward IICRC, but as long as you're furthering your knowledge and getting good solid info, there's really no wrong way to go. Just make sure it's an accredited school of some sort, affiliated with IICRC, RSA, CRI, or some other industry standard program.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
IICRC classes are decent enough but it's not like info you can't learn from just reading and re reading the info packet from the training course.
Nothing better IMO, than riding for a couple 2-3 days with someone who's been at it for 25 years.
90% of the valuable intel, you can't get from reading a book.
Forums are more valuable than the basic IICRC class by far

LightningCarpetCare

May 2, 2016
Real Name
Eli Rodriguez
2bf228471857bf69559d978dd700f444.jpg

This beautiful thing??? Nah get outta here!!!

LightningCarpetCare

May 2, 2016
Real Name
Eli Rodriguez
IICRC classes are decent enough but it's not like info you can't learn from just reading and re reading the info packet from the training course.
Nothing better IMO, than riding for a couple 2-3 days with someone who's been at it for 25 years.
90% of the valuable intel, you can't get from reading a book.
Forums are more valuable than the basic IICRC class by far

Some have flaws on IICRC For not receiving their certifications card. But I really want to further my progress from what I already know. Would love to take Rob Allens course I know I will in the near future but I will like to do it local here in Florida. Would be awesome if Rob did a tour in some states to show his course

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I agree that this forum is a great source for information. However, when it comes to customer perception, which sounds better:

"Yes, ma'am, I carry full certifications from the Carpet and Rug Institute/IICRC/Restoration Sciences Academy/etc and I'm qualified to handle this for you."

or

"Yes, ma'am, I'm very popular on the cleaning forums online."

Reactions: LightningCarpetCare

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
I agree that this forum is a great source for information. However, when it comes to customer perception, which sounds better:

"Yes, ma'am, I carry full certifications from the Carpet and Rug Institute/IICRC/Restoration Sciences Academy/etc and I'm qualified to handle this for you."

or

"Yes, ma'am, I'm very popular on the cleaning forums online."
Neither are impressive to prospects...:rolleyes:

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Ahhh, Mike, in this case I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. It may just be our area, since we have such a hard time meeting even bare-minimum pricing in this neck of the woods, but virtually all of my guys who sell their services at above-average pricing carry certifications.

Now I cannot, of course, speak to the order of causality (which came first, the price or the cert), but I can tell you that of a cross-section of any 100 cleaners in this area, the vast majority of guys charging in the top 10% of the group are certified from somewhere at least.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Ahhh, Mike, in this case I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. It may just be our area, since we have such a hard time meeting even bare-minimum pricing in this neck of the woods, but virtually all of my guys who sell their services at above-average pricing carry certifications.

Now I cannot, of course, speak to the order of causality (which came first, the price or the cert), but I can tell you that of a cross-section of any 100 cleaners in this area, the vast majority of guys charging in the top 10% of the group are certified from somewhere at least.
Been at this 25 years and certification has never come up once with a client in all these years... I like that I'm certified but it means nothing in the real world

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
You both have good points. But for myself I would feel much better being able to have it and if it came up at anytime I would be able to respond and say I do have one.

Just sayin... From an educational aspect, it has value... If yer doing it to have more marketability to prospects...don't waste yourself