Direct Mail EDDM - EDDM vs Target | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Direct Mail EDDM EDDM vs Target

leanbiz

May 14, 2014
Real Name
Jimmy
Based on conversations I had in other threads, I wanted to started a new topic on direct mail. It seems like most of you guys use saturation (EDDM), instead of sending targeted mailings to your most likely prospect.

What are you using: target, saturation, both?
How many calls or jobs booked? 0.5%, 1%, or?

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Let's talk CASH, the only thing that matters.
Arbitrary numbers like that just goes round and round with people talking about different things.

How much did you spend in the last 12 months how much revenue did you collect?

You go first...

Reactions: steamer 1

leanbiz

May 14, 2014
Real Name
Jimmy
Let's talk CASH, the only thing that matters.
Arbitrary numbers like that just goes round and round with people talking about different things.

How much did you spend in the last 12 months how much revenue did you collect?

You go first...
OK... The best postcard campaign I've put together, at last count was worth about $110,000 in sales. Mind you, this was not for carpet cleaning.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Yeah, $110k sales but what was the cost?
Also what are the gross margins like in that industry?

Not for or against targeting, do both is what i say.
Your specific cost structure of tiny postcards for .50 cents was just too high.

If i target like that then i would do a unique, creative piece or a letter. Not a tiny postcard that will get lost.
Too expensive for what you are getting, the idea is fine.

leanbiz

May 14, 2014
Real Name
Jimmy
This was targeted campaign, expenses where just over $400 after printing and list rental. If I remember correctly the commission structure was 10% of sales. I'd say it was good.

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
Saturation is great IF you know your neighborhoods. If you do lets say - 3 rooms for $99 and you can find an area with all the houses were similar then saturation is great.
Target - list of pet owners with a nice big postcard is the way to go.

Reactions: StevenB.

Responder

Sep 16, 2012
Pikesville, MD
Real Name
Chaim Kessler
Business Location
United States
Is EDDM really saturation? TV, radio, valpak type ads are what comes to mind when I think of saturation marketing. I think of EDDM as a hybrid because you can target neighborhoods based on income.

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
Is EDDM really saturation? TV, radio, valpak type ads are what comes to mind when I think of saturation marketing. I think of EDDM as a hybrid because you can target neighborhoods based on income.
True - you can saturate an area and exclude carrier routes in a town that might have lots of rentals. Makes it better. I am getting ready to do a large co-op postcard and I am able to exclude a large development that is mostly rentals.

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
it's pretty tough to beat individual mail routes from EDDM when it comes to targeting a specific type or size of home.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
This was targeted campaign, expenses where just over $400 after printing and list rental. If I remember correctly the commission structure was 10% of sales. I'd say it was good.
If it wasn't for carpet cleaning, then what was it for, and is it worth comparing to our business?

If it it was, then where are you, so we can move over to your perfect heaven for carpet cleaners

Responder

Sep 16, 2012
Pikesville, MD
Real Name
Chaim Kessler
Business Location
United States
it's pretty tough to beat individual mail routes from EDDM when it comes to targeting a specific type or size of home.
I agree. That is why I don't really think it is fair to lump EDDM with saturation marketing.

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
I agree. That is why I don't really think it is fair to lump EDDM with saturation marketing.
How do you beat picking a mail route? Most of the routes I use are 250 homes to a little less than a 1000 homes. I'm sending out to probably 12 routes or so. 80% of my appointments come from 20 % of the routes more or less...

leanbiz

May 14, 2014
Real Name
Jimmy
How do you beat picking a mail route? Most of the routes I use are 250 homes to a little less than a 1000 homes. I'm sending out to probably 12 routes or so. 80% of my appointments come from 20 % of the routes more or less...
Beat picking a route for EDDM? You could try to profile your most likely customer (man/woman, age, home-owner, size of house, level of income, etc) and then rent a list. I've used InfoUSA and Melissa Data in the past and gotten results... but since they are compiled lists there will be some slop and nixies, but not too bad.

You can't run saturation (EDDM) this way, so the economics may or may not work. So be sure to do the math and test.

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
You can if you have defined areas. For instance - my parents live in a retirement community - all nice detached homes everyone over 55. They are all on one carrier route - a gold mine for sure! If a handyman hit that route he would bank. There are several developments in the area that are the same - all gated.
I have been doing some work in a golf course development - fixing grout. I can say that probably most of the homes in there are now having the same issues - guess who is getting an EDDM drop form me?