Earnings capacity of a Truck Mount

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I'm probably the last person that should be posting this, but I have the records going all the way back to when I purchased my Boxxer 421 which was back in 2002. I don't pretend to be a big shot and I'm actually probably one of the lower earners on this forum. My only claim to fame is I do good work and get unsolicited referrals from time to time. I'm a terrible marketer with a great big ole capital T!!! Still, my equipment has paid for itself over and over and over again and again. Btw, for the bulk of my career I've done nothing but carpet and upholstery and the occasional auto.

I remember one job that nearly paid the entire price of my Boxxer one summer. Took me 4 days I think to do it, but made over 11 grand off that one job. That is my record job to this day. I'm sure some of you have beaten that by a large margin, but for a sole operator it wasn't too shabby for little ole me. Just wondering how many have made over 1 million dollars with the same machine? Bound to be some on here I'm sure have done that several times over.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I know a guy that has an old prochem unit think it was the machine that became the performer... bear something or bruin?, his hour meter stopped working at like 28,000 hours like 10 years ago he still uses the machine every single day still runs like a champ. Last time i talked to him he was picking up a waste tank he had fabricated it was his 3rd one hes had made over the years.
My largest carpet cleaning job was 20 something thousand dollars in 8 hours had several trucks on it all running duel wands cluster fudge of hoses but it got the job done in the time alotted

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I know a guy that has an old prochem unit think it was the machine that became the performer... bear something or bruin?, his hour meter stopped working at like 28,000 hours like 10 years ago he still uses the machine every single day still runs like a champ. Last time i talked to him he was picking up a waste tank he had fabricated it was his 3rd one hes had made over the years.
My largest carpet cleaning job was 20 something thousand dollars in 8 hours had several trucks on it all running duel wands cluster fudge of hoses but it got the job done in the time alotted
My Boxxer's hour meter stopped working I think somewhere between 2 and 3 thousand. I figured out it's doing somewhere between 2 to 3 hours each time it turns over. I use my tach meter for my hours since then. My Boxxer is getting really old, but looks better than some I've seen that are only 1/4 it's age. I'm seriously thinking of replacing this year, but not sure yet. Seems problems are more frequent and I have less patience to deal with them!:(

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I did $500,000 with a 14hp Chemtex that I bought new in January 2008 until I bought a new TM in 2015.

I do not have any jobs that come to mind as being huge, the biggest one I can recall was around $5,000 for cleaning movie theater chairs but that was spread out over a month period.

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
I'm probably the last person that should be posting this, but I have the records going all the way back to when I purchased my Boxxer 421 which was back in 2002. I don't pretend to be a big shot and I'm actually probably one of the lower earners on this forum. My only claim to fame is I do good work and get unsolicited referrals from time to time. I'm a terrible marketer with a great big ole capital T!!! Still, my equipment has paid for itself over and over and over again and again. Btw, for the bulk of my career I've done nothing but carpet and upholstery and the occasional auto.

I remember one job that nearly paid the entire price of my Boxxer one summer. Took me 4 days I think to do it, but made over 11 grand off that one job. That is my record job to this day. I'm sure some of you have beaten that by a large margin, but for a sole operator it wasn't too shabby for little ole me. Just wondering how many have made over 1 million dollars with the same machine? Bound to be some on here I'm sure have done that several times over.

I feel you about not being a baller...I am happy with clearing $1500 per week...my goal is 10K per month gross...working the least amount of hours...Not all of us want to dethrone stinky stemah. That may seem like not enough money to live on. Some of us are only doing this as a means to an end.

All of my profit goes to creating a passive income stream large enough to live comfortably on. For me that will be 12-15K per month. I am about half way now and it looks like 5 more years and i am out of CC...I'll be 54.

Young bucks...listen...you can live the high life now and scrub carpet till your balls fall off or you can live below your means and invest and get out of this game while you are still young.

Two words...vacation rentals.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
1 owner operater 80k per year ......
If you have 2 man on 1 truck it would be 100-120 k..
Depending on the market of your community....

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
My 98 CDS is north of 1.3M in total sales over it's lifespan on its own so far, it was built on a Wednesday for sure!!! It qualifies for a classic tag this year in NC. It is going to be side lined this spring and get a full in house make over, paint, minor body repairs and upgrades for the business end. It won't be my everyday rig anymore this summer, but be on standby for the big commercial jobs. I feel sure I will suffer withdrawals initially, it's been a wonderful piece of equipment to own. Initial purchase price was 18k with 3 heat exchangers, 360ci B2500 was 23k and gas was $1.00 a gallon back then, 360's are thirsty! It was the first CDS installed at Mama Fens place of work. Because of belt routing for the PTO the water pump has spun backwards it's entire lifespan. It currently has 314k on the chassis and some parts up front with machine hours have crested 600k and it still runs like a scalded dog. I have replaced 3k in parts on the TM over the years, but I've wore the van out around it twice. I did by a running 03 360 B2500 to take parts from as needed, no waiting or down time for anything.

Everyday payload
20180111_180047.jpg

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I feel you about not being a baller...I am happy with clearing $1500 per week...my goal is 10K per month gross...working the least amount of hours...Not all of us want to dethrone stinky stemah. That may seem like not enough money to live on. Some of us are only doing this as a means to an end.

All of my profit goes to creating a passive income stream large enough to live comfortably on. For me that will be 12-15K per month. I am about half way now and it looks like 5 more years and i am out of CC...I'll be 54.

Young bucks...listen...you can live the high life now and scrub carpet till your balls fall off or you can live below your means and invest and get out of this game while you are still young.

tweek your pricing and you can gain a lot of extra income...

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States

tweek your pricing and you can gain a lot of extra income...
You have the right idea. Working the courage up to ask for double for scrubbing.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
You know, come to think of it, I'm not sure if the hour meter ever worked on my Boxxer from day one! If I hadn't decided to put a digital tach on I might not have ever noticed. :) .

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
My 98 CDS is north of 1.3M in total sales over it's lifespan on its own so far, it was built on a Wednesday for sure!!! It qualifies for a classic tag this year in NC. It is going to be side lined this spring and get a full in house make over, paint, minor body repairs and upgrades for the business end. It won't be my everyday rig anymore this summer, but be on standby for the big commercial jobs. I feel sure I will suffer withdrawals initially, it's been a wonderful piece of equipment to own. Initial purchase price was 18k with 3 heat exchangers, 360ci B2500 was 23k and gas was $1.00 a gallon back then, 360's are thirsty! It was the first CDS installed at Mama Fens place of work. Because of belt routing for the PTO the water pump has spun backwards it's entire lifespan. It currently has 314k on the chassis and some parts up front with machine hours have crested 600k and it still runs like a scalded dog. I have replaced 3k in parts on the TM over the years, but I've wore the van out around it twice. I did by a running 03 360 B2500 to take parts from as needed, no waiting or down time for anything.

Everyday payload
View attachment 74879
That's exactly the kind of response I was after. Thanks for sharing!(y)

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
That's exactly the kind of response I was after. Thanks for sharing!(y)
There's a local 42 year old company that had stickers at eye level on every TM (I think the stickers came from Steamway???) that said "Take care of this equipment, it pays your paycheck". That hit home to me as a young owner operator way back when... because you can't do business from an empty wagon.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I did $500,000 with a 14hp Chemtex that I bought new in January 2008 until I bought a new TM in 2015.

I do not have any jobs that come to mind as being huge, the biggest one I can recall was around $5,000 for cleaning movie theater chairs but that was spread out over a month period.
Half a million off one of the cheaper TM's in the industry ain't shabby at all. My biggest paychecks have come from two sources. Churches and schools have given me my best incomes. Sadly, the schools are a thing of the past. I will not likely ever get anymore work from them since they're doing all of it in house for a number of years now. One summer I cleaned all carpet in every single school in my area all by my little ole self. I fibbed above on it taking me 4 days. I have a terrible memory. That was just for the largest job which was a very large kindergarten with lots of huge class rooms. I did the carpet in several other schools including one in a another town. Don't think I could do that again at my age unless somebody makes a wand you can ride on. I did all that with just a basic 2 jet wand. Pretty sure it was 2006.

May 11, 2009
NC
precisionsteamcleaning.com
Real Name
Jim Williams
Business Location
United States
I am at around $800,000 with my White Magic Commander. Had to replace the engine at around 10,000 hours and the blower shortly after that. Original Cat pump, never rebuilt.

I just replaced ole reliable 2 weeks ago with a TCS Warrior. Hoping to do over a million with it. I plan on completely rebuilding the White Magic as a backup. The frame and water tanks will last forever on those things.

manbearpig

Mar 17, 2017
Real Name
Mike Pollock

Well over $2,000,000 over the years with my old Big Red that I got rid of last year.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

When I worked for Coit I had the same machine for the fist 12 years I worked for them. I was doing well over 100,000 per year (for the company) so I did well over a million with that machine. That machine was the first machine my boss bought back in 1976 so it had been working for 18 years prior to my using it. That machine is still used daily even to this day. I’m guessing it’s made close to a half a billion dollars.

I wish I had a picture of my old truck, here’s a machine I found on google that looks just like it.

4F9AB04E-178F-48E0-BAC9-6418B3DC8DC7.jpeg

May 11, 2009
NC
precisionsteamcleaning.com
Real Name
Jim Williams
Business Location
United States
Looks like a van and truckmount are a pretty good investment. Both of my rigs cost around $30,000. Used van and new truckmount both times. Not a bad return. You got to spend a little bit to make a lot.