Dryer vent cleaning | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Dryer vent cleaning

Cotykuhns

Nov 17, 2018
Real Name
Coty Kuhns
Business Location
United States
One of our apartment complex’s has asked us to clean out their dryer vents during every clean. They asked if we were interested and to name a price.

I have a few ideas of a quick, thorough way to accomplish this, but was wondering if anyone has done this or has a good idea of getting the job done?

Andreas 1

May 15, 2011
Nantucket, MA
We started with a Lint-eater kit and a cordless drill back ten year back. They're the most basic tool for the work but they are a bit flawed. If you're not 100% paying attention it is too easy to have the rods unthread themselves somewhere inside the ducting. It'll feel like the worst day ever when it happens. If you're going to be in the business awhile I would consider to a more professional setup with flex rods with button locks on the flex shaft ends like from Nikro or some other duct cleaning supplier. We're currently looking into an augur type setup from Air-care and I wonder if anyone on here has experience using one. Would love to hear from someone who has used one.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
We use the Lint Eater along with air compressor with the reverse ball. We did all the dryer vents at a large apartment complex a few years back and we just had the poles set up and duct taped them so they wouldn't unthread. It was a 4 day job in July with temperatures over 100 but we charged $59 per vent and did all 80 of them.

Andreas 1

May 15, 2011
Nantucket, MA
Yeah we could never bring ourselves to tape each one thus our upgrade to the button lock version. Increased efficiency. I love the idea of the reverse skipper ball but don't have the space or budget for a compressor that could push one (10cfm+). I've often wondered if a reverse skipper ball would be enough on its own to clean a duct.

Cotykuhns

Nov 17, 2018
Real Name
Coty Kuhns
Business Location
United States
We planned on running the lint eater through and then blowing out with an electric blower. I’ve seen attachments you can hook up vac line to

Andreas 1

May 15, 2011
Nantucket, MA
We have an Milwaukee electric blower as well. Ideally we'll use it to clear the duct out but sometimes their dryer is installed in the most cramped areas like custom cabinetry.

Mike J.

Sep 25, 2019
Real Name
Mike Joannides
I had the compressor and reverse air method, (along with the top Abatement Tech. system for ducts). The reverse air is the best, easy, and less likely to break vent. I didnt feel like the job was complete unless moving the dryer and cleaning that, then I realized you really should take the dryer apart as well and do it right. Perfect. Problem is for the $69.00-$100 price expectancy, it just wasnt worth it. Whole new set of tools and equipment, cost me about $10,000 loss after selling it for dirt cheap after I realized it had nothing to do with carpet cleaning.
Compared to air duct cleaning, dryer vent cleaning was rewarding. I can see if there is no other game in town and you wanted to do a couple jobs to make some extra money, maybe.
This is a referral service for me now, to a well known and run business that is 100% focused on duct cleaning. Funny, the HVAC guys that advertise around me dont even do it themselves, they sub it also. Found that out when selling off equipment. This was definitely not the way it was laid out in the brochure. I didnt even mention crawl spaces yet, a lot of action there in duct cleaning. Made me realize how clean of job carpet cleaning (usually) is.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
We are duct cleaners, and dryer vent cleaners first.
Carpets is about 20% of our business.

Our current Dryer vent cleaning rates.

1st floor Dryer vent and outlet- $169
2nd floor Dryer vent and outlet-$199
2nd floor Dryer vent and Roof outlet $249

And we are low. A franchise called Dryer vent wizard is about double our rates.

Add a dryer vent cleaning while we are in home doing Carpet or Air Ducts.

Save $50 off above prices.

You MUST always clean from the inside and out. Dryer MUST always be pulled out and the flexible line should be replaced every few years (add $29 to bill for replacement)
whips and reverse/forward spinning ball driven by a 120+ PSI compressor in combination with your TM with a dust downer are the best tools for doing most dryer vents.

For the love of go do not use a leaf blower or other such methods. You look silly and are NOT getting the line clean. YOU MUST HAVE AGITATION.

Even just a revers ball alone is NOT enough. YOU must use a air whip or less desirable is a rotating brush.

Remember you need to clean a DV correctly as you can either prevent or cause a house fire if you do it wrong. This is huge compared to the worse you can do with carpet is ruin a carpet. You cause a house fire and you could kill someone.

And this is why you need to charge accordingly and do it correctly.

There is a lot of money in DV's. we will do 6 figures worth this year.

Reactions: Rick J

Mike J.

Sep 25, 2019
Real Name
Mike Joannides
That sounds awesome and I have a lot of respect for an operation like that. It was a tough add on for me and would have to be my main focus to succeed. Roger that on the whips.

Andreas 1

May 15, 2011
Nantucket, MA
$169! Wow

I do see the majority of duct cleaning suppliers pushing the reverse skip as the only tool necessary but as we’ve never had the beefy compressor with the CFM to run one I was never able to compare results. Would love to see your setup to have both in the van. We’ve used Abatements brushes for awhile now but flex rods do require a bit of finesse to use properly. And I’ve noticed some QC issues on replacement rods in recent years and we’re considering moving to an Air-care augur, or similar tool. As for a whip, I haven’t come across a supplier that sold one as a dryer duct tool. Throw us some links! As for the leaf blower I don’t think anyone uses it for cleaning just debris removal post agitation.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
$169! Wow

I do see the majority of duct cleaning suppliers pushing the reverse skip as the only tool necessary but as we’ve never had the beefy compressor with the CFM to run one I was never able to compare results. Would love to see your setup to have both in the van. We’ve used Abatements brushes for awhile now but flex rods do require a bit of finesse to use properly. And I’ve noticed some QC issues on replacement rods in recent years and we’re considering moving to an Air-care augur, or similar tool. As for a whip, I haven’t come across a supplier that sold one as a dryer duct tool. Throw us some links! As for the leaf blower I don’t think anyone uses it for cleaning just debris removal post agitation.
I prefer Nikro air duct cleaning tools. Seem to last longer.

We use a 6 whip that we have cut down so that the fingers are only 8 inches. This gives them enough room to get moving and agitate.

If I remember in the morning before the guys take off Ill snap a shot of the van for you.

Andreas 1

May 15, 2011
Nantucket, MA
I prefer Nikro air duct cleaning tools. Seem to last longer.

We use a 6 whip that we have cut down so that the fingers are only 8 inches. This gives them enough room to get moving and agitate.

If I remember in the morning before the guys take off Ill snap a shot of the van for you.
That would be awesome. We’re always looking to learn and up our service level.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I have aircare set up with tons of Bristles for replacement and reverse skip ball.

All works I just don’t offer the service. We were setup too do it then completely changed our minds.

Andreas 1

May 15, 2011
Nantucket, MA
Is it the dryer vent stuff and do you want to part with it? If so we're interested. I'd also like to hear from someone about how it is to use the augur type setup when cleaning out a dryer vent. I was looking at buying the 35ft one from Aircare but wondered what it was like to put torque on something that long. If there's too much friction in these dryer vent runs (some of our clients have 30'+ vents) the flex rods style start to contort instead of drive the brush. Hoping for something different with the covered cable style.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Is it the dryer vent stuff and do you want to part with it? If so we're interested. I'd also like to hear from someone about how it is to use the augur type setup when cleaning out a dryer vent. I was looking at buying the 35ft one from Aircare but wondered what it was like to put torque on something that long. If there's too much friction in these dryer vent runs (some of our clients have 30'+ vents) the flex rods style start to contort instead of drive the brush. Hoping for something different with the covered cable style.
Believe it comes with different size bristles and a different brush all together. There’s also a camera he made for it. Camera only works with a droid or laptop though