Dryer vent cleaning: Stacked washer and dryer | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Dryer vent cleaning: Stacked washer and dryer

Cfergs

New Member
Jan 5, 2020
2
0
1
Real Name
Cole Ferguson
Hey guys, I need some help. Ive been getting calls like crazy from owners/renters at a local condominium complex that just got a letter from their HOA requiring that everyone gets their dryer vent cleaned out. Ive done about 6 at this complex so far and they've all been stackable washer and dryer units. Ive gotten lucky with a few of them being the old white GE brand units with duct access through the front panel, but the majority of them are the new LG/Samsung smart laundry machines that are incredibly heavy and just a royal pain to move around. Usually we are able to get these big units onto sliders, but the main problem we're running into is that all these washer/dryers are on these white trays that do not move. So this takes moving the unit with sliders out of the picture. Is there a way to remove just the dryer to access the duct? Has anybody else ran into this situation? Could really use some advice on this one. Thanks guys!

P.S. I have a couple more of these scheduled for today- Ill try to get photos for reference.
 

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
10,758
6,038
113
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
The pans should be plumbed in case machine overflows. So they are locked in. We use straps "forearm forklifts" to lift machines out.
 

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
7,655
4,080
113
Real Name
Mike
Acces the vent from outside? Remove cover and insert brush and vac?
 

Dream Clean

Active Member
Oct 3, 2018
294
152
43
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Acces the vent from outside? Remove cover and insert brush and vac?
That would be my first option. One of those cuffs that vacuums with the port on top to insert a brush. Even compressed air with a reverse jet so it shoots itself through the ductwork then blows everything back to your vac as you pull it out.
 

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
7,655
4,080
113
Real Name
Mike
That would be my first option. One of those cuffs that vacuums with the port on top to insert a brush. Even compressed air with a reverse jet so it shoots itself through the ductwork then blows everything back to your vac as you pull it out.
I have both setups
 

Cfergs

New Member
Jan 5, 2020
2
0
1
Real Name
Cole Ferguson
The pans should be plumbed in case machine overflows. So they are locked in. We use straps "forearm forklifts" to lift machines out.
I thought about this. I've seen these but never used them. Would I be able to do this even if the washer/dryer slides in to a really tight spot? I only have access to the front of the unit. There is only about 6 inches on each side from the machine to the walls.

Acces the vent from outside? Remove cover and insert brush and vac?
This is what we've been doing on some of them. 75% of these units exhaust up through the roof (second story laundry "room") and the other 25% go up about 7-8 feet to an elbow and take about a 20 foot run to the side of the condo (bottom floor laundry). Each one of them has been extremely packed and fills our 6.5 gallon vac tight. Some of them have even had damp lint so I'd want to use the brush and vac/blower method with access on both sides of the duct to play it safe. I just hate to run the brushes in towards the dryer- which makes me want to use reverse air ball method if it is to stay hooked up to the dryer during the cleaning. Tough part about that is these are huge 3 story condos and im not too sure about carrying an air compressor up the 32 foot ladder lol.
 

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
10,758
6,038
113
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I thought about this. I've seen these but never used them. Would I be able to do this even if the washer/dryer slides in to a really tight spot? I only have access to the front of the unit. There is only about 6 inches on each side from the machine to the walls.


This is what we've been doing on some of them. 75% of these units exhaust up through the roof (second story laundry "room") and the other 25% go up about 7-8 feet to an elbow and take about a 20 foot run to the side of the condo (bottom floor laundry). Each one of them has been extremely packed and fills our 6.5 gallon vac tight. Some of them have even had damp lint so I'd want to use the brush and vac/blower method with access on both sides of the duct to play it safe. I just hate to run the brushes in towards the dryer- which makes me want to use reverse air ball method if it is to stay hooked up to the dryer during the cleaning. Tough part about that is these are huge 3 story condos and im not too sure about carrying an air compressor up the 32 foot ladder lol.
Not easily no. Tight spaces they use dolly and postion both units stacked at same time in place. Using blocks of wood and other improvised methods to avoid crushing the pan. Btw there is or should be a or 2 tip brackets on these holding them down onto the washer making them one unit.
 

Dream Clean

Active Member
Oct 3, 2018
294
152
43
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
I thought about this. I've seen these but never used them. Would I be able to do this even if the washer/dryer slides in to a really tight spot? I only have access to the front of the unit. There is only about 6 inches on each side from the machine to the walls.


This is what we've been doing on some of them. 75% of these units exhaust up through the roof (second story laundry "room") and the other 25% go up about 7-8 feet to an elbow and take about a 20 foot run to the side of the condo (bottom floor laundry). Each one of them has been extremely packed and fills our 6.5 gallon vac tight. Some of them have even had damp lint so I'd want to use the brush and vac/blower method with access on both sides of the duct to play it safe. I just hate to run the brushes in towards the dryer- which makes me want to use reverse air ball method if it is to stay hooked up to the dryer during the cleaning. Tough part about that is these are huge 3 story condos and im not too sure about carrying an air compressor up the 32 foot ladder lol.
Could you just use a longer hose and leave the compressor on the ground?