SJB

Nov 28, 2010
Idaho
Real Name
Sean J Bauman
Business Location
United States
Hello all,

I need some advice. We have been doing both HWE and VLM cleaning for several years now for exclusively commercial clients (mostly offices) with CGD carpets. Typically, our approach utilizes both HWE and VLM. For the most soiled areas in a building, we prescrub the prespray with our Orbot and follow it up with HWE. And most often, we VLM offices and cubicles, while using HWE for the traffic lanes and common spaces.

Due to the nature of our client base, we do all cleaning after hours on weekdays and until now, we have managed to avoid cleaning over the weekends. Currently, I have a client with a 12,000 sqft office. We were initially planning to use the method described above; however, this client is insisting that we clean over the weekend so that their carpets are dry enough for us to replace items that have been moved like plastic carpet protectors and walk-off mats before they're staff returns. The problem is, working over the weekend is not an option for us.

As an alternative, we may be able to VLM the entire building which would yield dry carpets by the time the office staff return in the A.M. which leads to my question. Using a HOS Orbot, how long must we wait between the VLM cleaning and returning plastic carpet protectors and walk-off mats to the floors? Normally, we would just leave the protectors propped up overnight and let the customers replace them later to allow sufficient dry time but this customer won't go for that and I don't want an issue with mold. Would it be safe to replace mats after 6 hours? Or is more time needed?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Put some fans out and the carpets should be dry within an hour assuming you didn't use too much water and/or the equipment you use has good vacuum. Going over everything with cotton bonnets will help dry it faster too. With fans going, post bonnet, and using a porty with single 3 stage vac our CGD carpets are typically dry within an hour.

Reactions: rob allen

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Air flow, temperature and humidity will all influence dry times.

We do a VLM system with the Vibe. I think dry times would be similar to the Orbot.
No air movers, but we do have a rather dry climate. Most of the carpet is dry in under 1 hour. Traffic lanes or heavily soiled areas that get multiple passes or dry in 2 to 3 hours. This could be reduced with better air flow from a few air movers.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Find the thermostat and if it has the option set it to "fan on" instead of "auto". Most the time commercial is costantly on especially the climate controlled buildings. But just take a look before leaving and if possible set it to on. It will continuously circulate. I hate it when it shuts down and office doors close sealing in the moisture.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Use air movers that provide a laminar flow across the carpet not up at desk height. Reduce speed if necessary. Should not be a problem.

In many offices, HVAC is turned off in evenings and weekends. So, air movement is needed. At other locations it depends upon temperature and humidity. Some places need the air movement some don't.

Reactions: Rick J

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Bring a Hydrosenser to check dry times. I like the cotton bonnet follow up. I personally find CGD drys very fast using either method. Let us know how it works out for you.

872dda2dea065da3c466ec3cb7c05dc7.jpg