Drug testing and background checks. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Drug testing and background checks.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
Any of you do these before you hire? I seem to remember talking about this awhile back.

I had a lady come in a few weeks ago to put in an application for our building maintenance company. She seemed real eager and kept saying how good of a job she would do. I appreciated her eagerness but at the same time it made me a little uneasy. I asked her if she would be willing to do a drug test. She said absolutely; so I handed her some papers to go have a drug screen. Never heard from her again.

We've been taking more applications lately and I never realized how many people out there are having or had problems with drugs or child support or jail related stuff. What have you run into with people that apply?

envy

Mar 12, 2015
Real Name
Aaron R
I do them before I hire. I also do them periodically after the hire. I didn't know drugs were as huge of a problem. I live in a small area of about 200,000. About a month back I was cleaning some apartments for our local addiction recovery program.

I was talking to the guy that called me and he said they house 26,000. After thinking about it more I wondered if he meant 2,600. But he said thousand for sure. That's just the ones that know they need help and we are paying for. I'm sure many more refuse help or don't believe they need it.

There's a whole different world out there. I was aware of it but not how big it is.

Reactions: admin

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
I do them before I hire. I also do them periodically after the hire. I didn't know drugs were as huge of a problem. I live in a small area of about 200,000. About a month back I was cleaning some apartments for our local addiction recovery program.

I was talking to the guy that called me and he said they house 26,000. After thinking about it more I wondered if he meant 2,600. But he said thousand for sure. That's just the ones that know they need help and we are paying for. I'm sure many more refuse help or don't believe they need it.

There's a whole different world out there. I was aware of it but not how big it is.
Define 'DRUGS'? Cannabis is NOT a Dangerous Drug nor A Gateway..All others..Oh Hell Yes they are dangerous and lead to destruction for Sure.

Reactions: Superior contract

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Any of you do these before you hire? I seem to remember talking about this awhile back.

I had a lady come in a few weeks ago to put in an application for our building maintenance company. She seemed real eager and kept saying how good of a job she would do. I appreciated her eagerness but at the same time it made me a little uneasy. I asked her if she would be willing to do a drug test. She said absolutely; so I handed her some papers to go have a drug screen. Never heard from her again.

We've been taking more applications lately and I never realized how many people out there are having or had problems with drugs or child support or jail related stuff. What have you run into with people that apply?
Marlan..Tell them that cannabis will Not be a part of the screen and you will have better success.Sorta like an application that sez..."Have you ever been arrested" That's Bull Puckey Millions have been but Never convicted or even prosecuted..Yet it remains on their record..Many states are reviewing that now and taking measures to remove Arrests with no prosecution or convictions from their records Otherwise..it stays on your record FOREVER!..

Reactions: StevenB.

Kingdomcome84

Jul 28, 2013
Real Name
Kenechi Enezuagu
Even if the person had a clean background check. Drug test cost about $80+ out of pocket. If your not the one paying for the drug screening then people will still walk away. For them they are thinking why pay $80 if im not guaranteed employment

you solve this by giving them random drug test once they get hired after a couple weeks or require them do it when the pay period is over before the week of their first paycheck

Reactions: chubby

dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
Were you paying for the drug test? I assume you were.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
Yes I was paying for the drug tests. I have an account with the drug testing facility and they send us the applications to fill out. On our applications it says that drug testing and background checking will be done.
Again; I'm just surprised at how many people have problems.

A friend of mine went to get a job driving a truck. Tons of people applied for the jobs and they took 43 to the next step in the hiring process which involved a drug test. 2 passed. The headhunter that he hired to find him the job said "you find me 5 people that can pass and I'll give you 5 grand." Crazy.

Andrew C

May 24, 2014
Richmond, VA
www.TrueSteamLLC.com
Real Name
Andrew Carr

Yes I think drug tests are a great idea for employers.

It will show you who the serious candidates are. Like Aloha said, I wouldn't dismiss someone for weed, unless they smell and look like that is all they do.

But I think taking a drug test for an employer is a commitment that takes up the candidates time and shows that they are willing to do stuff that sucks to better themselves. And it also shows you if they are a crack head.

envy

Mar 12, 2015
Real Name
Aaron R
Define 'DRUGS'? Cannabis is NOT a Dangerous Drug nor A Gateway..All others..Oh Hell Yes they are dangerous and lead to destruction for Sure.

That's legal in our state. However, before it was legal i fired someone for smoking in a clients building. I would still do that again.

Tater

Jan 14, 2014
Real Name
Richard Whithers
I worked with a ceiling installer one day years ago. Drug testing came up and he said his boss tested him but did not ever see or care about the results. He just tested once a year so he could tell his clients he drug tested.

SantiagoT

Apr 1, 2020
Real Name
Arnold
Maybe you will call me insane, but I have people in my office who had a problem with drugs in the past, and some of them are smoking weed and eating mushrooms after hours. They don't hide it from me, because I don't give a s**t as long as they do their job well. But once I had problems with one of my sales managers, Carl. He was overdosed with mushrooms and it almost killed him. What did I do? Called the cops? Fired him? No. I sent him this https://www.dosedispensary.ca/guide-to-microdosing/ guide so it won't happen to him again. Because Carl is a damn good sales manager.

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
@admin
IMG_4224.JPG