Business Location
United States
Can you tell why?

Overly Cleaning Service

Oct 22, 2014
Ocala,FL
Real Name
Travis Overly
Talking to the customer. A pre clean evaluation expressing areas of concern and pricing. Than a post clean conversation with the customer about the condition of the carpet along with an explanation of how you thought the cleaning went. For example, spots or traffic areas that may not have come completely, or areas you had great success with.
It is also my opinion that leaving cleaning triangles hides some of the spots and traffic areas that may not look perfect after the cleaning. Sometimes when I rake a room after cleaning notice things that need more attention that I didn’t notice with wand marks.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
You did a great job on the carpet no argument there, but I'm not sure what you mean about why you never get a callback. Are you referring the wand marks? I have only had one callback due to a customer who didn't like the wand marks and I had to go back and remove them since regular vacuuming wouldn't do it. Kind of made me rethink doing that on every single carpet, but I still do it most of the time. I have found that on some carpets the wand marks are not easily removed by vacuuming.

Reactions: rob allen

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
A small part looks like it was groomed, that is even or close in contrast, the rest has wand marks.

Last edited:

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I'm going to go with major overlaps with the wand, leaving the carpet exceptionally dry = no call backs.
Yeah, those marks are pretty tight. I'm not normally that close together with them except when I'm doing areas near transitions to hard floors. I work extra hard to get those areas as dry as I can.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
You did a great job on the carpet no argument there, but I'm not sure what you mean about why you never get a callback. Are you referring the wand marks? I have only had one callback due to a customer who didn't like the wand marks and I had to go back and remove them since regular vacuuming wouldn't do it. Kind of made me rethink doing that on every single carpet, but I still do it most of the time. I have found that on some carpets the wand marks are not easily removed by vacuuming.
Yes. Several cleaning strokes with tons tight dry strokes leads to max detergent/soil removal and has carpets dry to touch before I leave.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I'm going to go with major overlaps with the wand, leaving the carpet exceptionally dry = no call backs.
Yep. I always liked see what it would look like the next day and getting it dry does just that

Reactions: Jim Davisson

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Actually had this happen recently where I was asked to reclean carpets because another company used a Rotovac and left all the swirl marks.

Customer thought previous company did a terrible job. So I recleaned it with a rotovac and she started getting irate saying I was doing the same poor job. I told her to come back in an hour.

I stopped and took my rake, groomed the carpet and didn't even reclean the other room, just raked it.

She was "amazed" at how "clean" it now looked.

So simply put, she prefers a carpet that is raked.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Randy about few years ago I had one call back to leave the carpet with the swirly marks using my 360i and I had to go back and fix it, I left the wand zig zac marks and they were satisfied.

Reactions: wandwizard

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
In general anyone doesn't misses their dry passes will get almost no calls period. There are tons of guys out there that I watch on you tube that they don't do dry passes, this particular guy who have upgraded to a higher end tm and I asked him if he does dry passes and his response was 'what is that'. This tells me how he cleans and what he leaves behind.

Reactions: J20770

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Actually had this happen recently where I was asked to reclean carpets because another company used a Rotovac and left all the swirl marks.

Customer thought previous company did a terrible job. So I recleaned it with a rotovac and she started getting irate saying I was doing the same poor job. I told her to come back in an hour.

I stopped and took my rake, groomed the carpet and didn't even reclean the other room, just raked it.

She was "amazed" at how "clean" it now looked.

So simply put, she prefers a carpet that is raked.
I never have felt that leaving swirl marks from any machine was satisfactory. It has never sat right with me so I suspect it will not sit right with at least some customers. I never have and never will leave them behind. I either rake the swirls out or most often wand them out. I generally use the wand to hit the details of the room the machine can't get to and then just wand my way out. Takes a few extra minutes per room. I know some routinely leave them, but honestly, I don't know how they get by with it. I am 100 % certain I'd be getting callbacks if I did it.

J20770

Premium VIP
Jan 14, 2019
Real Name
Jason Dumont
In general anyone doesn't misses their dry passes will get almost no calls period. There are tons of guys out there that I watch on you tube that they don't do dry passes, this particular guy who have upgraded to a higher end tm and I asked him if he does dry passes and his response was 'what is that'. This tells me how he cleans and what he leaves behind.
I don't understand the reasoning behind no dry strokes, wand keyed all the time and the swamp line at the end of the stroke. I can't bring myself to do any of that so I really shouldn't comment, maybe it does work, I see a lot of people doing it.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
It is also my opinion that leaving cleaning triangles hides some of the spots and traffic areas that may not look perfect after the cleaning.
Wow, and I thought I was the only one who thought that way.

Grooming done properly also lifts the fibers vertically so that it drys faster.

I prefer to groom the carpet so it has that *just installed* appearance. I do think that cleaners use the triangles (what I call Christmas Trees) to hide what they cant get out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe cool

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I have had one callback this past year and it was a good learning experience. It was a set of white steps that I cleaned. On the bottom three steps, there was an off white discoloration on the bullnose. Ive cleaned this house many times and it never happened.

These particular steps had carpet in the middle and hardwood on each side. What occured was that after the cleaning, I vacuum the bullnose with the hose cuff. Since the bottom steps were unusually soiled, I did have some overspray on the wood and I vacuumed the wood first thereby introducing soil in the cuff. Then I proceeded to vacuum the bullnose. And then up one step and do the same.

So now when I have overspray, I vacuum the bullnose first to the top of the steps and then the wood going back down.

Reactions: Bob Savage

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I have had one callback this past year and it was a good learning experience. It was a set of white steps that I cleaned. On the bottom three steps, there was an off white discoloration on the bullnose. Ive cleaned this house many times and it never happened.

These particular steps had carpet in the middle and hardwood on each side. What occured was that after the cleaning, I vacuum the bullnose with the hose cuff. Since the bottom steps were unusually soiled, I did have some overspray on the wood and I vacuumed the wood first thereby introducing soil in the cuff. Then I proceeded to vacuum the bullnose. And then up one step and do the same.

So now when I have overspray, I vacuum the bullnose first to the top of the steps and then the wood going back down.
How long have you been in the game? You sound like a 20+ year vet and I always like how you convey your message across to the rest of us so we can easily understand.