Doing an Encap Treatment on stairs after HWE | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Doing an Encap Treatment on stairs after HWE

Jan 20, 2020
Real Name
Benji Zimmerman
So many moons ago (about a decade), I worked with a company that did mostly commercial work and some VLM bonnet cleaning, in addition to portable traditional carpet cleaning.

I'm finding stairs are the bain of my existence now as a residential owner/operator using a truckmount and hot water extraction. I'm finding I'm getting sticky steps and longer dry times than my other areas (where my results and dry times are something customers are impressed with).

I'm thinking of adding an oreck orbitor and bonnets, plus an encap soulution sprayer and going over the steps with this system after my HWE phase is complete and the steps are mostly dry. Just to add another layer of cleaning. I'd also raise my prices and sell the extra value here. I want to continue to differentiate myself over the 99/house hit it and get it guys. I'd rather do 2 or 3 great jobs in a day then 6 crappy ones.

What should I look out for? I'm thinking of using E-steams Encap Pro as this is readily available.

Cheers!

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
So many moons ago (about a decade), I worked with a company that did mostly commercial work and some VLM bonnet cleaning, in addition to portable traditional carpet cleaning.

I'm finding stairs are the bain of my existence now as a residential owner/operator using a truckmount and hot water extraction. I'm finding I'm getting sticky steps and longer dry times than my other areas (where my results and dry times are something customers are impressed with).

I'm thinking of adding an oreck orbitor and bonnets, plus an encap soulution sprayer and going over the steps with this system after my HWE phase is complete and the steps are mostly dry. Just to add another layer of cleaning. I'd also raise my prices and sell the extra value here. I want to continue to differentiate myself over the 99/house hit it and get it guys. I'd rather do 2 or 3 great jobs in a day then 6 crappy ones.

What should I look out for? I'm thinking of using E-steams Encap Pro as this is readily available.

Cheers!
What are you doing different from other area to stairs? Please explain "sticky steps"?

Jan 20, 2020
Real Name
Benji Zimmerman
What are you doing different from other area to stairs? Please explain "sticky steps"?
I find my current stair tool does a poor job of rinsing out my prespray - thus leaving the stairs not as clean as they could be. I've tried using my regular wand to apply rinse, and then using the stair tool and vac hose to detail after the fact. Still not the kind of results I'm hoping for. Was thinking post bonnet with encap and then post vac before I leave would do the trick - as well I can start charging alot more for steps when I get this process perfect.

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
You shouldn’t even have to do both on steps to get them clean.....it’s one or the other.....light to moderately soiled encap. Anything worse HWE.... I could watch what you are doing and straighten you out on one job. If I had to guess your agitation and wand game must not be right.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
I find my current stair tool does a poor job of rinsing out my prespray - thus leaving the stairs not as clean as they could be. I've tried using my regular wand to apply rinse, and then using the stair tool and vac hose to detail after the fact. Still not the kind of results I'm hoping for. Was thinking post bonnet with encap and then post vac before I leave would do the trick - as well I can start charging alot more for steps when I get this process perfect.
Your stair tool is only a smaller version of your wand. Extraction results should be equal in results. If you are spraying the stairs with your wand that might be the problem. What are you using to apply pre spray to the other carpets? Why does you stair tool lack the ability of rinsing out the pre spray?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I've been using bonnetpro radical rinse through the TM and following up on my rentals that I have a vendor key for and I am not disappointed. It's expensive to buy and super economical to use. Still tweaking how much to add to my 100g freshwater tank, but I like the solution to barely be slickery coming from the jets on the hand and not a dark swamp line at the end of the stroke, but no where near foamy or white. That's too much IMO. Just down the middle is my sweet spot. More to come with this as I learn.

Jan 20, 2020
Real Name
Benji Zimmerman
Your stair tool is only a smaller version of your wand. Extraction results should be equal in results. If you are spraying the stairs with your wand that might be the problem. What are you using to apply pre spray to the other carpets? Why does you stair tool lack the ability of rinsing out the pre spray?
I use e-steam attack or Suspend free as my prespray. Prochem All-fibre Rinse is my goto at 2 GPH or there abouts. I just today bought a new stair tool as mine was malfunctioning and very loud. Got a 2 jet Cleanco stair wand brand new. Got a call back tomorrow (as the stair tool was malfunctioning and getting rid of crayon or marker stairs from kids wasn't 100%). I'll give it a go - but having a small buffer to bonnet and encap (Procyon or Encap Pro from E-steam) would be a help on stuff that's going to wick. Not super busy right now, and I can usually stick around a bit while my air movers speed dry. I can see lots uses for the Oreck to post bonnet trouble spots or stairs.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
I use e-steam attack or Suspend free as my prespray. Prochem All-fibre Rinse is my goto at 2 GPH or there abouts. I just today bought a new stair tool as mine was malfunctioning and very loud. Got a 2 jet Cleanco stair wand brand new. Got a call back tomorrow (as the stair tool was malfunctioning and getting rid of crayon or marker stairs from kids wasn't 100%). I'll give it a go - but having a small buffer to bonnet and encap (Procyon or Encap Pro from E-steam) would be a help on stuff that's going to wick. Not super busy right now, and I can usually stick around a bit while my air movers speed dry. I can see lots uses for the Oreck to post bonnet trouble spots or stairs.
Your new stair tool should perform well for you. A stair tool will leave the carpet dryer than a regular wand. More air being forced through a smaller opening. Oreck is a good machine to have, easy to use on stairs.

Jan 20, 2020
Real Name
Benji Zimmerman
Your new stair tool should perform well for you. A stair tool will leave the carpet dryer than a regular wand. More air being forced through a smaller opening. Oreck is a good machine to have, easy to use on stairs.
Just did a dog urine job today. Didn't break out the water claw and most of the job came up with pretreatment, dwell, agitation and more dwell. Finished it by using Procyon as a wicking treatment and doing the nike shuffle with white towels and a bit of hand buffing. Let it dry and then did a post vac to get rid of shoe prints. Customer was very happy but I think a post bonnet on the wick with the Oreck would do better.

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
People call me inefficient but the cleanest stairs I've ever gotten has been with a jetted upholstery tool. Takes a little longer to do stairs but that's why I charge the same for stairs as I do for a room. Wands/stair tools are usually 2 handed and leave me with a lot of pull coming from the hoses where the upholstery tool is one hand cleaning freely and one holding up the hose with no pressure on my wrist. Better clean, less strain on me, and happy customers.

Jan 20, 2020
Real Name
Benji Zimmerman
People call me inefficient but the cleanest stairs I've ever gotten has been with a jetted upholstery tool. Takes a little longer to do stairs but that's why I charge the same for stairs as I do for a room. Wands/stair tools are usually 2 handed and leave me with a lot of pull coming from the hoses where the upholstery tool is one hand cleaning freely and one holding up the hose with no pressure on my wrist. Better clean, less strain on me, and happy customers.
I've been meaning to replace my upolstery tool. Going to try this re-do with the new tool and if I think I could do better - I'll get a better upolstery tool. For now I post detail dry with the hose to get the edges and bullnose.