Dog urine removal & smell removal product | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Dog urine removal & smell removal product

jamesbond

Sep 6, 2017
Real Name
James
Thank you dear friends.

So if the dog urinates again do I just clean up with a cloth and then apply the

Urine Stain Remover with Hydrocide and Bio-Modifier Xtreme with Hydrocide

Also any recommendations for a good upholstery cleaner for my cars is appreciated?

Much appreciated,
James

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Thank you dear friends.

So if the dog urinates again do I just clean up with a cloth and then apply the

Urine Stain Remover with Hydrocide and Bio-Modifier Xtreme with Hydrocide

Also any recommendations for a good upholstery cleaner for my cars is appreciated?

Much appreciated,
James
If you are able to react to a new urine stain pretty quickly (an hour or two at most):
  • Blot up the liquid
  • Apply the Bio-Modifier with Hydrocide. Apply enough to reach everywhere the urine went.
  • Give it time to work. Depending upon the volume of urine, it could be 15 or 20 minutes or several hours.
  • Rinse with water. The process depends upon the volume of urine and how far the urine penetrated. Could be anything from a wet cotton towel to a stream of warm water and the Water Claw attached to a wet vac.
  • Only apply the Urine Stain Remover if there is a stain after the above steps and the carpet has dried.

Avenge Heavy Duty Upholstery Cleaner is a good product for your car upholstery if you have hot water extraction equipment. https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CU21GL

An alternate would be Encapuclean along with several towels. https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CC06GL
  • Vacuum thoroughly
  • Mix the Encapculean according to the label. Apply with a sprayer. Just get fabric damp on the surface, not wet.
  • Use towels or a soft brush to work into the upholstery.
  • Use towels to remove the solution and the soil. Continue wiping / blotting with towels as long as soils is being removed.

Reactions: jamesbond

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
When using Bio-Modifier or any bacteria / enzyme product is is helpful to understand that you are greatly speeding up the natural process of urine breaking down and decomposing. This process produces odor. So, temporarily, the odor may seem worse. Ventilation helps.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
If I may ask, what size dog is this? Small, medium, extra-large and drooly?

Reactions: jamesbond

jamesbond

Sep 6, 2017
Real Name
James
Hello the Dog is large, not drooly, and she only urinates once in a blue moon when there is a lot of thunder and rain. She is a rescue dog, an adult, so we can only train her slowly.

jamesbond

Sep 6, 2017
Real Name
James
Thank you. What does the Encapuclean do? Does it remove dirt etc. or is it a protective layer?

As I am ordering from Interlinksupply, might as well order some more goodies, do you all also have recommendations for any house cleaning products?

1) To clean toilet bowls
2) general cleaning like table tops etc
3) a good class cleaner like Wi##ex

Much appreciated,
James

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Thank you. What does the Encapuclean do? Does it remove dirt etc. or is it a protective layer?

As I am ordering from Interlinksupply, might as well order some more goodies, do you all also have recommendations for any house cleaning products?

1) To clean toilet bowls
2) general cleaning like table tops etc
3) a good class cleaner like Wi##ex

Much appreciated,
James
We do not manufacture a toilet bowl cleaner. But many of our distributors do carry professional bowl cleaners. If you call or stop by one of the 70 locations, you can ask about them. I am not sure if we have any for on-line ordering.

We have several neutral general purpose cleaners.
Omni Pro Vission includes a degreaser for moderate soil levels - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CR400GL

Vivid especially formulated for granite, marble or other stone counter tops, or tile floors but works well for light cleaning of any surface - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CST03GL

Viper 7 all purpose neutral cleaner - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CH45GL

We have a liquid and an aerosol glass cleaner: Omni Pro, especially good for smoke from cooking, cigarettes, etc.https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=1652-2649

Groom Solutions for general window and glass cleaning with no streaks - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CR517GL

Encapsulation cleaning includes detergents that separate the soils from the fibers. It also includes polymers that surround or encapsulate the soil particles so that they remove easily either being absorbed into a towel or removed by future vacuuming after the surface is dry. Not as deep a cleaning system as hot water extraction, but does not require specialized equipment.

jamesbond

Sep 6, 2017
Real Name
James
Hello @scottw

I am going to order a 3-4 products from interlink supply. Do you know if there is some promo code/discount code?

I am a first time customer.

Thank you

EdwardMorrison

Jun 18, 2018
Real Name
Edward Morrison
We used to buy Nature's Miracle for remove dog urine based on recommendations Get Cleaning Done but then ended up going with 50/50 vinegar/water in the end. This was for our dog's accidents. You also need to be pretty generous with the vinegar and let it do its thing. But yes, if the smell is really tough to get out I'd 100% recommend Nature's Miracle. I also suspect that cat pee is worse to clean than dog pee.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
We used to buy Nature's Miracle for remove dog urine based on recommendations Get Cleaning Done but then ended up going with 50/50 vinegar/water in the end. This was for our dog's accidents. You also need to be pretty generous with the vinegar and let it do its thing. But yes, if the smell is really tough to get out I'd 100% recommend Nature's Miracle. I also suspect that cat pee is worse to clean than dog pee.
Nature's Miracle was one of the first - and still one of the best, IMHO - enzyme products marketed toward the homeowner. I did a long stint at PetStuff/PetSmart and it was by far our most popular and effective product.

Today's professional carpet cleaners now have access to multiple types of enzyme products of varying strengths that all focus on the process that Nature's Miracle brought to light decades ago, and they are still some of the most effective, easy-to-use, least toxic options available.

Anyone who is going to become an expert in removing the 'liquid gold' needs to take the time to educate themselves on enzymes, and will find that the time spent in understanding them will pay off big-time in the long run!

And for those who may be interested, cat urine and feces are indeed far stinkier and more concentrated than dog urine and feces - for several very good reasons.

(warning, Fen's going into biology here - skip if you're not fascinated)

This comes from the fact that cats have a 'desert-friendly' metabolism which squeezes every possible bit of moisture out of what they consume before they eliminate. They are obligate carnivores, unlike dogs who can consume plant proteins, starches, and other non-meat foods without long-term harm. This means cat stools tend to be oily, highly concentrated, loaded with lipids and proteins, and very very dense. Cat urine also tends to be higher in protein, phosphorus, salts, nitrogen, and urea than that of dogs.

Cats also have scent glands both fore and aft which allow them to broadcast a "this is MY territory" signal for miles, alerting other cats to stay away or to advertise the presence of a fertile female. The front glands are behind the jawline, and gives developed toms the distinctive 'cheeky' face; the musk emitted here is waxy rather than free-flowing. Rear glands are parked on either side of the anus, and the liquid musk from these is sprayed when urine or feces are excreted.

This strong liquid musk is chemically related to skunk spray and mothballs, and contains thiols - AKA mercaptans - once it starts to break down. This means the smell often gets worse, not better, as urine sits around. Add in bacterial growth, and the smell becomes overwhelming.

Since cats are solitary creatures, not pack animals like dogs, this scent is designed to be long-lasting and potent; great for feral animals who need to mark territories that can be up to 700 acres in size, but not so great for pet owners.

Cats have an extraordinary organ called the Jacobsen's Organ that allows them to actually taste smells, resulting in that odd little cat-grimace called the flehmen (the pits of the organ are located directly behind the canines; the cat draws air through its open mouth across the palate and the pits 'taste' odors). Often cats give this flehmen grin when they smell something strong or unique for the first time (bleach, gasoline, even sweaty socks or shoes - some cats will stick their entire head into a shoe just to try to track down where that smell is coming from). So cats can quite literally taste the spray-marks or pug-marks of other cats and directly relate that specific smell to an individual animal, much like a fingerprint.

Cats will spray urine, musk, or a combination of both when they are stressed or sick, or if they have not been neutered before sexual development is complete. Sources of stress can be varied and subtle - moving, change of diet, loud noises or arguments in the home, changes in family dynamic, introduction of a new pet or object in the house, or the presence of other cats or dogs outside whose scent is being carried into the house.*

Cats may also spray as a gesture of affection, believe it or not - a way of letting the world know that this is their property; these are their clan, or clowder; and no one else is allowed to approach and possibly take them away. Nature designed the cat to be solitary and independent, but to also be able to communicate complex social messages via scent so that when individuals do meet, there is less of a chance of serious injury or death through conflict.

So - what does all of this mean for you, the cleaner? Maybe quite a bit, maybe not much at all.

Understanding the substance you're being asked to clean can be quite helpful, and knowing why and how it works can help you to find urine deposits your client didn't even know were there. Good chemists who develop products for urine removal don't just throw something in a bottle and hope it works; they spend years, if not decades, studying the chemistry and reactivity of urine so as to combat it in the most effective and user-friendly ways possible.

Pug-marks along walls can be invisible to the naked eye, but if you know they're there and are contributing to the overall cat smell in a home, then knowing how to get rid of them can make the difference between a call-back and being the hero. Cats can mark furniture, walls, doorways, many things in the home besides just what's on the floor. So often the source of odor isn't limited to the carpet - and if all you clean is the carpet, the customer's perception may be that you have failed.

To quote Sun Tzu: “If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Know your enemy, peeps.

*(Everyone's seen the "funny" videos of people scaring their cats with cucumbers or other objects - what these people don't realize is that they're nudging the poor cat toward a nervous breakdown and should expect a pug-mark or two for their efforts as that cat tries to re-establish some sort of sense of well-being. It's especially bad when they do it while the cat is eating - they're teaching the cat that eating is not safe because something frightening will happen while they're at the food dish. #Rantmodeover.)

Reactions: J20770 and Scott W