Does smoking weed help or hurt a business? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Does smoking weed help or hurt a business?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Now that is becoming more and more legal, do you think it harms or helps small business's? And down the whole line, from business owners to employee's. What do you think?

Reactions: Dizzle Dazzle

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Not a weed guy. No place for it at work imo. Working with me if you're on memory medicine you would last 2 hours tops and you gone. I need someone on point, 2 steps ahead of my actions and prepared for what's coming next without talking about it. When I am at work, I am all about work... I'm old school I guess.

Dizzle Dazzle

Sep 24, 2019
Real Name
Konrad Bilinski
Business Location
Canada
I use CBD oil when my wrist pain flares up. It’s a non psychoactive (doesn’t get you high) compound often associated with cannabis which is the actual medicine which helps with pain, nausea and anxiety.

Rob, your question is pretty broad and can be interpreted as trolling. Do you mean does smoking weed help you while you work, does it help you relax afterwork? There are lots of ways to interepet this question, can you elaborate a bit more?

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Not a weed guy. No place for it at work imo. Working with me if you're on memory medicine you would last 2 hours tops and you gone. I need someone on point, 2 steps ahead of my actions and prepared for what's coming next without talking about it. When I am at work, I am all about work... I'm old school I guess.
I work with too many tools to have a guy loaded working with me. His own time is his own business, soon as you clock in you’re on my time and our guys know it. No cell phones, no drinking, thankfully they don’t smoke or have ever come to work stoned. And no photographing my job sites.

Owners or workers can probably function but I’m sure there’s no way they’re at peak performance and I would say they’d be limiting themselves

Dizzle Dazzle

Sep 24, 2019
Real Name
Konrad Bilinski
Business Location
Canada
I work with too many tools to have a guy loaded working with me. His own time is his own business, soon as you clock in you’re on my time and our guys know it. No cell phones, no drinking, thankfully they don’t smoke or have ever come to work stoned. And no photographing my job sites.

Owners or workers can probably function but I’m sure there’s no way they’re at peak performance and I would say they’d be limiting themselves
I know enough functioning stoners who smoke 3-4 joints a day for 15 years + daily that are some of the most successful self made people I know. Can’t say the same for alcohol, pain killers, anti depressant or pretty much any other mind altering drugs. Weed is in a different league and I’m glad the US is waking up. Canada is a head you guys here.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Just the smell makes me sick. I've lived near Humboldt county all my life and seen the effects of the marijauna market for 30yrs. I wouldn't hire anyone who regularly smokes it, let alone work or drive under the influence with my business reputation on the line.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States

Big difference between going through the motions and evaluating the situation, doing what is exactly necessary on the job, killing it time wise and being profitable. That's why I'm chief, cook and bottle washer. I can't deal with dopey help that slows me down.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I smoked weed for years. It got boring then some friends introduced me to shrooms, microdots and acid. That was fun but short lived as its not readilly available (Thankfully). Wet showed up and that was nuts. Makes you nuts too. Its why i pack magnums. Someone on that sht aint going to go down. Then there was coke. That showed up and was alot of fun. Party type of fun. Thats the social drug. And was so much fun i burned through my paycheck just a few hours after cashing it. Thankfully im able to quit sht unlike many of my friends who are dead now, felons or just getting by day to day. I remember getting on 76E to philly during a snow storm. Over a foot of snow on the highway heading down in 4 high in a monster truck at 4am to get more. We found his dealer then headed back. At some points i was in 4 low on the highway busting snow as we headed back. Took over 2 hours and cost me 300 bucks. I looked at my buddy and said i quit. Never touched it again.
My time line with drugs all leads back to where it started. That innocent weed plant. For many its the same song. Just with different endings.
So i dont have tolerance for the slow mo stoner working next to me. Gotta be 110% at work. Plus you need to be able to carry a hell of a lot of weight up steps. 50lb max lift aint gonna cut it. This isnt UPS.
After work fire up if you want. But come in sober and ready to go in the morning.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
I don't think weed makes you stupid.
Stupid people who smoke weed are just more in your face.

There are tremendous amounts of people who use marijuana that has no side effects instead of drugs prescribed by Drs for ADD Anxiety pain etc that have horrible side effects. There also a great many successful people who do enjoy marijuana instead of beer..... Its just these folks are successful so many just assume they do not smoke and most successful people who do smoke are hesitant to say as much in public due to remaining stigmas.

I would much rather have an employee who smokes a few doobies or bongs after work than a guy who goes and drinks 4-8 beers every night. Hands down. No question about it. And no not the stereotypical burned out stoner. That guy only represents 5% at most of people who consume marijuana on a weekly basis. Most are successful productive members of society with families.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Big difference between going through the motions and evaluating the situation, doing what is exactly necessary on the job, killing it time wise and being profitable. That's why I'm chief, cook and bottle washer. I can't deal with dopey help that slows me down.
guaranteed you currently have or have had a great employee that smoked............And hell no they would never tell you with your attitude of "pot mania"

You think "The Pot" makes those good white girls sleep with them black fellas too Jim????

:ROFLMAO:

Just pokin at ya'

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
guaranteed you currently have or have had a great employee that smoked............And hell no they would never tell you with your attitude of "pot mania"

You think "The Pot" makes those good white girls sleep with them black fellas too Jim????

:ROFLMAO:

Just pokin at ya'
It's all good! We all have are thing. My thing used to be speed and danger, I still RIP a mean fast sit down coaster wheelie on my 24" cruiser, but no more power wheelies shifting from 5th to 6th at 80+ mph on the dirt. Hell, I can remember when racin' was dangerous and sex was fun.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
It's all good! We all have are thing. My thing used to be speed and danger, I still RIP a mean fast sit down coaster wheelie on my 24" cruiser, but no more power wheelies shifting from 5th to 6th at 80+ mph on the dirt. Hell, I can remember when racin' was dangerous and sex was fun.
dont grow up too much and get too old or too serious about life......

If you lose all of your inner child a bit of you dies with that little boy. You loose that curiosity about the world around you, the ability to question what is "known" to grown ups, You loose that innocence that a stranger of any color, religion or nationality or shape and size is simply a friend you have not met yet attitude that is so awesome in children.

Life is just plain too short to be too serious about stuff that really doesn't matter in the end.

life is about the journey and the people in that story. Too many lose themselves to work, money, success, the stuff that only marginally matters. They forget to enjoy the journey lost in "growing up."

My wife calls me a 42 year old child every day. And I would not have it any other way...;...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:cool:

Last edited:

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey Bayliss
It just depends on the person
Some people can drive and function and you wouldn’t even know.

Some just can’t...

Would I hire someone I didn’t know who smoked weed NO

I have a few mates that I would employ who smoke a decent amount and they have no problem working, keeping up/being on the ball and still thinking a step ahead....

There’s a fair amount of straight people who struggle being on the ball and can’t think a step ahead to save their life...

Almost think alcohol is a bigger problem in society. If people just smoked weed there would be a lot less violence on the streets and a lot more more focus on munchies

Last edited:

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
It just depends on the person
Some people can drive and function and you wouldn’t even know.

Some just can’t...

Would I hire someone I didn’t know who smoked weed NO

I have a few mates that I would employ who smoke a decent amount and they have no problem working, keeping up/being on the ball and still thinking a step ahead....

There’s a fair amount of straight people who struggle being on the ball and can’t think a step ahead to save their life...

Almost think alcohol is a bigger problem in society. If people just smoked weed there would be a lot less violence on the streets and a lot more more focus on munchies
Lol everyone would forget what they were pissed about if they all were baked :D

Truthfully im not angry drunk. Alcohol makes me happy. Im More of a comical drunk. Possible emergency room run comical drunk. Not from alchohol poisoning or nothin like that. But lets just say i have a lot of them "hold my beer and watch this" moments :D

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I know enough functioning stoners who smoke 3-4 joints a day for 15 years + daily that are some of the most successful self made people I know. Can’t say the same for alcohol, pain killers, anti depressant or pretty much any other mind altering drugs. Weed is in a different league and I’m glad the US is waking up. Canada is a head you guys here.
I don’t care what people do off clock. I would never allow an employee to be under the influence of any drug or alcoholic beverage while on the clock knowingly.

There’s a good reason why they call it “under the influence”. I don’t want them putting me, my clients or themselves in jeopardy.

We use to many sharp and powerful tools to have an individual “under the influence” Working beside us.

We’ve seen very few well functioning potheads on the job. The pay scale and type of work we’re speaking about most likely won’t draw the type of high earners that toke

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Ive found from experience potheads just have no motivation whatsoever, im not talking about your casual user im talking about say 4 plus times a week. Ive always found they just have no motivation, no sense of urgency, no time management skills, and sure as hell cant multitask. My oldest son will argue with me till he's blue in the face but thats my experience with the guys that do it

Dizzle Dazzle

Sep 24, 2019
Real Name
Konrad Bilinski
Business Location
Canada
I don’t care what people do off clock. I would never allow an employee to be under the influence of any drug or alcoholic beverage while on the clock knowingly.

There’s a good reason why they call it “under the influence”. I don’t want them putting me, my clients or themselves in jeopardy.

We use to many sharp and powerful tools to have an individual “under the influence” Working beside us.

We’ve seen very few well functioning potheads on the job. The pay scale and type of work we’re speaking about most likely won’t draw the type of high earners that toke
I get what you’re saying and in an ideal world no one would use weed. But study after study has shown that it doesn’t effect your alertness anymore than being on painkillers, being hung over or tired or being over stressed. And you have no control over your employees being under the influence of those.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
People respond differently to drugs as much as they do to food. Weed makes me sleepy and lazy as a big mac makes me fat and sluggish. My cousin on the other hand can focus and is on point, can eat a burger, stay trim and keep moving when high.

I remember 10 years ago when I got my ASD training and some ServePro guys were shocked because I didn't smoke weed. They thought all carpet cleaners smoked weed. That wasn't the first I had heard that either.