Does putting a 1/4 QD on the inlet port of a pump reduce flow? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Does putting a 1/4 QD on the inlet port of a pump reduce flow?

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
www.instantsteamclean.com
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
Recently I ordered a low amp pumptec pump to replace my water hog in my HTM to reduce the load on the generator to allow more powerful vac motors. Ray at Cobb carpet added QD's to the pump including the inlet port - I plan to pressure feed it with a transfer pump (the same setup I had with the water hog) out of a water tank - pressure feeding is good for the pump and improves performance. If the transfer pump goes out or it's battery dies then the pumptec can suck water. Questions on this:

- Will the QD on the inlet port reduce flow?
- Will it still allow the pumptec to suck water if the transfer pump fails?

Paul Selby

Apr 26, 2013
South Central........Tennessee
Real Name
Paul Selby
Business Location
United States
Recently I ordered a low amp pumptec pump to replace my water hog in my HTM to reduce the load on the generator to allow more powerful vac motors. Ray at Cobb carpet added QD's to the pump including the inlet port - I plan to pressure feed it with a transfer pump (the same setup I had with the water hog) out of a water tank - pressure feeding is good for the pump and improves performance. If the transfer pump goes out or it's battery dies then the pumptec can suck water. Questions on this:

- Will the QD on the inlet port reduce flow?
- Will it still allow the pumptec to suck water if the transfer pump fails?
1) it all depends on the pump. I would switch the inlet to a 3/8" QD
2) again depends on the transfer pump. Open the line on the " out" side of the transfer pump. If water free flows, then you are golden. If not, hope your transfer pump doesn't go out. You can generally suck water through a transfer pump but it is terrible for the seals and put a huge strain on your pressure pump.

Sent from my mind, through my fingers, to your screen using millions of pixels