Does anyone use a pressure washer for carpet cleaning? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Does anyone use a pressure washer for carpet cleaning?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
With the Judson setup and an auto fill water box the dilution ratio is higher only for long periods of bypass and only in the water box which starts to look like it's Lawrence Welk's truck mount in short order. If you are bypassing to the freshwater tank the dilution ratio is higher until the freshwater tank gets refilled. Too much math for me.

We did away with all of this by mixing the extraction formula in the freshwater tank itself, always the same ratio no matter what, everything gets the benefit of a surfactant as the water moves through the system, start to finish. We also found that mixing up the whole tank requires less chemical vs injection, I can't tell you why... but it works.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
With the Judson setup and an auto fill water box the dilution ratio is higher only for long periods of bypass and only in the water box which starts to look like it's Lawrence Welk's truck mount in short order. If you are bypassing to the freshwater tank the dilution ratio is higher until the freshwater tank gets refilled. Too much math for me.

We did away with all of this by mixing the extraction formula in the freshwater tank itself, always the same ratio no matter what, everything gets the benefit of a surfactant as the water moves through the system, start to finish. We also found that mixing up the whole tank requires less chemical vs injection, I can't tell you why... but it works.
I see what you are saying but my fresh tank is auto fill so it would screw up the dilution ratio if I mixed it in the tank then hooked up to water to do auto fill. Have you had any luck with a chemical injection on the fresh water tank fill?

What I do since my machine does bypass back to a 55 gallon fresh tank. It only bypasses when you let off the trigger of the wand which I'm on most of the time. I mix my chemical in the jug like recommended then I meter it at 1 to 1.5 gph instead of recommended 2 to 2.5 gph. This allows for some bypassing but still is not spot on. If carpet is dirty and first thing in the morning I will turn it up to 2 gph

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
@JD5150 in your case your going to be fine and never going to have too high of a dilution ratio if you're using under what you should be to start with.

The float valve can be troublesome when trying to inject. Reduced flow makes injection tough. With a 3/4 or 1 inch float valve it may be easier, I quickly gave up with a half inch valve I had on hand.

Reactions: JD5150

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
@JD5150 in your case your going to be fine and never going to have too high of a dilution ratio if you're using under what you should be to start with.

The float valve can be troublesome when trying to inject. Reduced flow makes injection tough. With a 3/4 or 1 inch float valve it may be easier, I quickly gave up with a half inch valve I had on hand.
This coming winter when I slow down I will try to do chemical injection on the auto fill an see what I can come up with. It would be way more accurate if I was to accomplish it.

My auto fill hose on a reel is only 3/8, 100 foot. Most likely going to cause it not to work. I also have a small water softener with a sediment filter on the inlet side which is probably going to cause a problem. All that slows the flow :) . Only thing I can think of is too add a second softener and run through both at the same time using a splitter and bigger hose and a big 1 inch auto fill float valve.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Pics of Dwyer setup?
I don't have one but can post one later today.
I just mounted it to the 15 gallon chemical jug using a piece of strap metal and two screws...strap metal is easy to bend. I drilled out the holes bigger on the strap metal so the 1/4 brass hose barbs would come through the strap metal. Then I drilled out two mounting holes on the strap metal that matched the mounting holes on the flow meter.
Bottom hose goes in the jug and top hose goes over to the injector. Chemical jug sits in between the seats of the van. I do need to make it more secure so it don't kill me in a wreck. That's coming soon. 15 gallons meter at 1 gph will last me 15 hours before needing refilled. My machine bypasses so I run lower gph. You can use any 5 gallon chemical jug. You don't need 15 gallons. I did it because I like to speed clean all day without being interrupted :D.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
You have some challenges to overcome. Splitting the flow with dual injectors terminating into the chem meter together with both pulling may be enough and be perfectly suitable. Divide and conquer.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas

agree

i dont have a chemical injection
i just pour it into the fresh water tank that is auto fill
works better with a larger tank 55+++gallon
i have 2-3 diferent sizes on diferent vans, 15 gallon, 30 gallon, 55 gallon
smaller tank deminishes soap after awhile

I dont measure exactly but pour a little extra for the job at hand
with acid rinse it wont matter.....

it will last about an hour on a large tank and then deminish
so I clean the dirtiest part first then with less acid on the last part
toward the end of the job you will be running low on rinse solution....

if it is really dirty and still need more rinse I will go back and pour it in the tank

if you go back and forth between acid and alcaline on the same job you will need 2 tanks

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
We don't fill the tank until needed, most jobs while breaking down it has plenty of time to top off. I run a mostly water rinse anyway, no need to rinse an emulsifier with an emulsifier if I prespray and scrubbed. I run a tiny bit of surfactant for lubricity of the system. Bombed out poly's, yeah we hammer those but otherwise why unless you are settling up for protection or natural fibers.

RotoRoy

Nov 28, 2019
Real Name
Roy Knaak Jr
Downstream injection option:

-this only makes sense if you happen to have these lying around-

but-
connect 2 hydroforce injection sprayers in “Parallel” After the pump.
I say 2, to remedy the flow restriction the inline sprayers-
That should feed a single wand system well?

yeah its a messy workaround, but—- would work? And free if you already have them?