Does anyone use a pressure washer for carpet cleaning? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Does anyone use a pressure washer for carpet cleaning?

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
The simplest chem injection is one where the pressure pump will self-prime using a Dwyer meter before the pump. Cat pumps are the best for this, but any pressure pump that self primes will work.

The pump pulls from the fresh tank and chem jug at the same time, and the adjustment is an inline valve which feeds the pump from the fresh tank, or water box. Once you get it set while keying the wand, then you can use the calibrated markings on the Dwyer to adjust chem feed - pretty much nothing to wear out and will always work great!

I have been using this setup for over 30 years with no problems.
do you have a pic of the swyer meter

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
The simplest chem injection is one where the pressure pump will self-prime using a Dwyer meter before the pump. Cat pumps are the best for this, but any pressure pump that self primes will work.

The pump pulls from the fresh tank and chem jug at the same time, and the adjustment is an inline valve which feeds the pump from the fresh tank, or water box. Once you get it set while keying the wand, then you can use the calibrated markings on the Dwyer to adjust chem feed - pretty much nothing to wear out and will always work great!

I have been using this setup for over 30 years with no problems.
I switched my machine over to this last year and love it. Not one problem and the great thing is with no moving parts it never wears out or breaks.
Same here, did it two months ago and it works like a charm. Made it out of a 1/2 inch brass tee with a quarter inch hose barb on top will last forever with no parts to break.
Can y'all explain this better or do a simple video? I just cant seem too get it.

@Todd the Cleaner
@Bob Savage
@JD5150

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
this is an upstream chemical injection....before the pump ...all chemical goes through the pump

last step chemical injection(downstream) is pricey and hard to find.....
they have to be custom made or special ordered......

only the big 3 have these downstream(last step)
also i noticed El diablo has downstream

advantage of downtream is chemical doesnt go through pump
some manufacturers say the chemicals are not good for pump?????especially acid....

most guys I talk to have no problem with thier pumps with upstream injection???
however you have to run a line from the unloader off the pump....so it wont oerheat
most run it into the fresh water tank.......
then you will have to have 2 fresh water tanks or you will have chemical mixed in them

i use both acid and alcaline rinse so this problem
can only be solved with downstream...

or 2 tanks with upstream

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Can y'all explain this better or do a simple video? I just cant seem too get it.

@Todd the Cleaner
@Bob Savage
@JD5150
This where I got my info from to build it but I didn't restrict my inlet pump flow to get it to pull. It pulls fine from 55 gallon fresh tank using 3/4 inch hose and 3/4 inch hose barbs. 1/2 inch female brass tee/3 way homemade chemical injector. Reduced down on the top to 1/4 inch male threaded hose barb. It will pull from my 15 gallon chemical jug and 55 gallon fresh tank all at the same time without restricting the pump inlet flow. I do have a bypass so it is always pulling chemical back to the fresh tank when wand trigger isn't pulled. I can pull from 1/2 gph to 6 gph with my flow meter. The trick is to have absolutely no air leaks or it will fail.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
I did not want to restrict my inlet pump flow since I'm a flow junky so I set out to build it without losing my super high flow and it worked. Couldn't be more pleased with my homemade chemical injector.
IMG_5887.JPG

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
This where I got my info from to build it but I didn't restrict my inlet pump flow to get it to pull. It pulls fine from 55 gallon fresh tank using 3/4 inch hose and 3/4 inch hose barbs. 1/2 inch female brass tee/3 way homemade chemical injector. Reduced down on the top to 1/4 inch male threaded hose barb. It will pull from my 15 gallon chemical jug and 55 gallon fresh tank all at the same time without restricting the pump inlet flow. I do have a bypass so it is always pulling chemical back to the fresh tank when wand trigger isn't pulled. I can pull from 1/2 gph to 6 gph with my flow meter. The trick is to have absolutely no air leaks or it will fail.
Can’t say I’m less confused. Maybe a bit more.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I did not want to restrict my inlet pump flow since I'm a flow junky so I set out to build it without losing my super high flow and it worked. Couldn't be more pleased with my homemade chemical injector. View attachment 78554
Mine is 8 gallons per minute. Don’t want to lose flow either. How do I calibrate to 8gpm?

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Mine is 8 gallons per minute. Don’t want to lose flow either. How do I calibrate to 8gpm?
Keep all the plumbing bigger than what is needed or just one size up from what you have now and try it to see if it works. You will not lose any flow as long as you don't restrict it. Set out to keep the injector the next size bigger than what your plumbing is now. When the water is being pulled from the fresh tank and passes by the 1/4 inch top port it will pull chemical from the chemical tank and through the flow meter

Last edited:

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
I almost guarantee your pump will pull from a chemical jug without restricting the flow.
8 gpm your pump is water hungry so it will want to pull from wherever it can get it. What size is your female inlet pump threads and what size of hose and hose barbs on the inlet side? I might be able to build you an injector but will have to see if there is big enough brass parts around here :D.

Last edited:

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Even using the restrictor valve I have not noticed any reduction in flow. Basically you are restricting the flow from fresh water so it pulls more from the chem jug. It’s still pulling the same amount of water, just from a different place.

Reactions: Bob Savage

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Even using the restrictor valve I have not noticed any reduction in flow. Basically you are restricting the flow from fresh water so it pulls more from the chem jug. It’s still pulling the same amount of water, just from a different place.
I don't like restricting the flow to my pump, afraid it will starve it too much. I want full flow if it is possible.

You should try an open your restrictor after you get it primed and see if it still pulls without restriction.

I did have a different plastic piece of junk injector at first that had the restrictor but noticed I didn't need it. It would pull regardless if I restricted it or not.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
this is an upstream chemical injection....before the pump ...all chemical goes through the pump

last step chemical injection(downstream) is pricey and hard to find.....
they have to be custom made or special ordered......

only the big 3 have these downstream(last step)
also i noticed El diablo has downstream

advantage of downtream is chemical doesnt go through pump
some manufacturers say the chemicals are not good for pump?????especially acid....

most guys I talk to have no problem with thier pumps with upstream injection???
however you have to run a line from the unloader off the pump....so it wont oerheat
most run it into the fresh water tank.......
then you will have to have 2 fresh water tanks or you will have chemical mixed in them

i use both acid and alcaline rinse so this problem
can only be solved with downstream...

or 2 tanks with upstream
In over 30 years of using the "chem thru the pump" injection system (alkaline and acid both), I am still using the original Cat 290 pump that came with this truckmount in 1984. The Cat does 3.5 GPM at 1200 PSI, which is more than I really need, even running dual wands.

Sure, I've rebuilt it a few times over the years, but that is quite simple and inexpensive to do. I always keep common Cat parts on hand, just in case.

Last edited:
Reactions: rob allen

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
In over 30 years of using the "chem thru the pump" injection system (alkaline and acid both), I am still using the original Cat 290 pump that came with this truckmount in 1984. The Cat does 3.5 GPM at 1200 PSI, which is more than I really need, even running dual wands.

Sure, I've rebuilt it a few times over the years, but that is quite simple and inexpensive to do. I always keep common Cat parts on hand, just in case.
Good point.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Judson agrees with the manufacurers.....he says on the video

DO NOT RUN ACID THROUGH THE PUMP EVER...he is using a water softener

i just called CAT home affice a few months ago
they told me the same thing
DO NOT RUN ACID THROUGH THE PUMP

Last edited:

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas

even if acid doesnt hurt the pump?????

i am gonna say the manufacturers are marginally correct and it will shorten the life of the pump!
how much it shortens is a question?????

however you still havent solved the problem bypassing your unloader.....
you will have to have 2 fresh water tanks or it will mix your chemicals together
which is fine but you have to get into your van and switch
both the chemical jug
and the 2 fresh water tanks with the unloader bypass outlet hose

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
even if acid doesnt hurt the pump?????

i am gonna say the manufacturers are marginally correct and it will shorten the life of the pump!
how much it shortens is a question?????

however you still havent solved the problem bypassing your unloader.....
you will have to have 2 fresh water tanks or it will mix your chemicals together
which is fine but you have to get into your van and switch
both the chemical jug
and the 2 fresh water tanks with the unloader bypass outlet hose
Both my truckmounts have the unloader bypass going straight back to the water box. Only one tank.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Judson agrees with the manufacurers.....he says on the video

DO NOT RUN ACID THROUGH THE PUMP...he is using a water softener

i just called CAT home affice a few months ago
they told me the same thing
DO NOT RUN ACID THROUGH THE PUMP
Yeah I don't run an acid through mine. I run a detergent or rinse agent but not on the acid side. I use soft water so I don't think I need n acid rinse

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Can’t say I’m less confused. Maybe a bit more.
agree

the chemical injection is more confusing than the pump sometimes

my conclusion...you have to get a downstream injection

this downstream(last step) is something
the big 3 think they they have a corner on the market

same with good effective HX units
they think they have a corner on the market for these also

and I am sure they have many patents

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas