Does anyone use a pressure washer for carpet cleaning? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Does anyone use a pressure washer for carpet cleaning?

dclinc

Aug 13, 2011
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Dominic DiAngelous
Business Location
United States
I am just getting started, and I was wondering if anyone uses a pressure washer with the chemical feed? I've seen a few that come with chem injection and adjustable psi, so what difference would it make if I used one of these instead of replacing the pump in my porty? If it could work, it would also give me the flexibility to start t&g without buying a new machine. My set up is a prochem cheyenne, air hog, and generator, so I'm looking at electric.

If you have, or currently use one, what brand/type/model? Thanks.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
The only problem I can see with using a pressure washer pump with a portable would be the fact that most portable pumps move about 1 gallon of water per minute (GPM) where as pressure washers move 3 to 4 GPM, so even if the pressure is set about the same you will still be using 3 to 4 times as much water and possibly end up overwetting the carpet and leaving it wet for days. Try it out on your living room and see what happens and let us know if there is a difference in dry time.

dclinc

Aug 13, 2011
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Dominic DiAngelous
Business Location
United States
One of the units I was looking at was a BE, up to 1100 psi/2gpm/1.5hp. It said chemical injection at reduced psi, so it wouldn't be putting that much down, right? Do you think that two 5.7 three stages would pick that up?

grimel

Apr 18, 2010
TN
Real Name
George Rimel
Business Location
United States
The pressure isn't related to flow. You have a 2gpm pump. If anything it would have more flow at lower PSI. Sometimes you can be penny wise and pound foolish. Use your carpet extractor to clean carpet. If you want to do hard surfaces, use the pressure washer for that. Don't complicate things more than they need to be.

Reactions: mrotto

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
One of the units I was looking at was a BE, up to 1100 psi/2gpm/1.5hp. It said chemical injection at reduced psi, so it wouldn't be putting that much down, right? Do you think that two 5.7 three stages would pick that up?
All you can do is try, that's why I was saying to try it on your house first, it may work ok, or you may find that it is putting out too much water. A high performance portable may be ok, but I don't want to say "do it" and have you end up with a bunch of unhappy customers with wet carpet for days. If you do try it I would limit the vacuum hose length to 25 to 50 feet maximum. Watch your machine too if you do not have an auto dump feature as the wast tank will fill up faster than normal.

Keep us posted with the results.

Chiquillo

Sep 6, 2008
South Baja / Mexico
Real Name
Osvaldo Trasvina
Business Location
Mexico
Í'm a portable user as well / and have to make sometimes tricky moves / more because I'm here in Mexico / Here I don't have a Supply store near me.

I do have a Hot Pressure washer, by Hotsy. Delivers I'll say enough hott watter, In some jobs were I do need that extra help from quick hott watter / I take my Hotsy / portable
I made a special Quick Connector to my In line Pre-sprayer, And use it with my Hotsy. It works more than Fine!!!

This tool I use it also for my Auto detail jobs!!! / from Regular Cold water, go better with the Hot Pressure washer if you can.

dclinc

Aug 13, 2011
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Dominic DiAngelous
Business Location
United States
Unless I see one made to do what I want, I'll just stick to what I know. Maybe when I start t&g I'll check it out.

itmc_bg

Dec 1, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
procleaningteam.com
Real Name
Michael Nicholas
Business Location
United States
Chem injector at low PSI, that is when you use a soap tip probably. Your psi will be no more than 80. On that way you better use garden hose will give you the same psi without using the pressure washer! The way to feed the chem on high pressure on regular pressure washer is to do up-stream chem feeding. It is connected to the incoming water and mix the chems before the pump. It also need a pressure regulator to reduce the 1100 psi to 500 psi so you can use it on carpets also, other than that 1100 is good for T&G cleaning. I have done that 5-6 years ago, the only think is that regular pressure washers are no good when you run the hot water, break up very fast, unless you put a hot water cap kit. cap kit running between $100-300 depending of the brand of your pressure washer you using.

Citrasolution

Sep 17, 2011
West Va
Real Name
Curt
Business Location
United States
Í'm a portable user as well / and have to make sometimes tricky moves / more because I'm here in Mexico / Here I don't have a Supply store near me.

I do have a Hot Pressure washer, by Hotsy. Delivers I'll say enough hott watter, In some jobs were I do need that extra help from quick hott watter / I take my Hotsy / portable
I made a special Quick Connector to my In line Pre-sprayer, And use it with my Hotsy. It works more than Fine!!!

This tool I use it also for my Auto detail jobs!!! / from Regular Cold water, go better with the Hot Pressure washer if you can.

Chiqo those Hotsy's are great units.

Chiquillo

Sep 6, 2008
South Baja / Mexico
Real Name
Osvaldo Trasvina
Business Location
Mexico
They Are!! I'm so satisfied with my Unit / Ofcourse did some modifications to my Inline Pre-sprayer, at the end came out pretty good.

Until next year, by Jun or maybe july, I'm going for my T.M / I think I'm going for masterblends, El Diablo
Until know, keep on using my Hotsy for those special jobs!!
See you!!!

Reactions: rob allen

nathan2152

Jul 4, 2018
Real Name
Jogesh284
Now a days you won't have to let your carpet wet for more days because carpet cleaning companies have machines through which they can soak all the water easily at the same day.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
They Are!! I'm so satisfied with my Unit / Ofcourse did some modifications to my Inline Pre-sprayer, at the end came out pretty good.

Until next year, by Jun or maybe july, I'm going for my T.M / I think I'm going for masterblends, El Diablo
Until know, keep on using my Hotsy for those special jobs!!
See you!!!
Got any pics or vids @Chiquillo ?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
The spammers are in force in this thread. Clean up time.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
You could use a sink or electric
I have used one for 3 years
It will last 300_500 hours

Has 2 adhjustmenuts
1.75gpm for tile
1.25 gpu for carpet

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Here is the biggest obstacle I've encountered, getting a chemical feed to work. Downstream? Upstream? Confusing and difficult to get to calibrate properly. Errr...

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
Here is the biggest obstacle I've encountered, getting a chemical feed to work. Downstream? Upstream? Confusing and difficult to get to calibrate properly. Errr...
The simplest chem injection is one where the pressure pump will self-prime using a Dwyer meter before the pump. Cat pumps are the best for this, but any pressure pump that self primes will work.

The pump pulls from the fresh tank and chem jug at the same time, and the adjustment is an inline valve which feeds the pump from the fresh tank, or water box. Once you get it set while keying the wand, then you can use the calibrated markings on the Dwyer to adjust chem feed - pretty much nothing to wear out and will always work great!

I have been using this setup for over 30 years with no problems.

Reactions: keep it clean

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
The simplest chem injection is one where the pressure pump will self-prime using a Dwyer meter before the pump. Cat pumps are the best for this, but any pressure pump that self primes will work.

The pump pulls from the fresh tank and chem jug at the same time, and the adjustment is an inline valve which feeds the pump from the fresh tank, or water box. Once you get it set while keying the wand, then you can use the calibrated markings on the Dwyer to adjust chem feed - pretty much nothing to wear out and will always work great!

I have been using this setup for over 30 years with no problems.
I switched my machine over to this last year and love it. Not one problem and the great thing is with no moving parts it never wears out or breaks.

Reactions: Bob Savage

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
I switched my machine over to this last year and love it. Not one problem and the great thing is with no moving parts it never wears out or breaks.
Same here, did it two months ago and it works like a charm. Made it out of a 1/2 inch brass tee with a quarter inch hose barb on top will last forever with no parts to break.