does anyone recycle waste water for their yard ?

leofry

Feb 12, 2009
bardstown kentucky
Real Name
john rogers
is it possible ? anyone do it? next summer am building a garage and i am thinking of ideas to dispose of waste water.
could plumb it and put drain in middle of floor but i have obstacle that will make that difficult. so am thinking could pump it in a waste barrel and then use it to water yard ?

is this crazy ?

RAW Prespray

Preferred Vendor
Sep 29, 2011
La Porte, IN
www.evercleantn.com
Real Name
Brandon B
Business Location
United States
There is a certain brand of pre-spray out there where the rinse and pre-spray solutions combine to create recyclable wastewater after the cleaning. The wastewater can be applied directly to the lawn as a lawn surfactant which helps surface nutrients reach turf roots through better absorption.

Definitely do NOT dump wastewater that has phosphates in it in an open environment. Toledo Ohio's water supply was shut down a few years back due to eutrophication in Lake Erie. Eutrophication (algae bloom) depletes oxygen from water killing aquatic life and it's directly caused by phosphates in detergents and fertilizers. The phosphates deliver too much nutrients in waterways causing rapid algae growth.

RAW Prespray

Preferred Vendor
Sep 29, 2011
La Porte, IN
www.evercleantn.com
Real Name
Brandon B
Business Location
United States

RAW Prespray

Preferred Vendor
Sep 29, 2011
La Porte, IN
www.evercleantn.com
Real Name
Brandon B
Business Location
United States
Gray, laundry, mop bucket, detergents

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums
If your wastewater has phosphates or other certain environmentally unfriendly products in it, then yes, it should go down a septic drain. But if it doesn't, then it's just dirty water that the lawn may find beneficial.

RAW Prespray

Preferred Vendor
Sep 29, 2011
La Porte, IN
www.evercleantn.com
Real Name
Brandon B
Business Location
United States
Water that has been used and contains dissolved or suspended waste materials

Water that has constituents of human and/or animal metabolic wastes
Water that has the residuals from cooking, cleaning and/or bathing

You're describing septic wastewater that is actually drained in backyards.

My point: there certain cleaners out there that do not contain the environmentally unfriendly chemicals contained in the Safe Water Act, which would make them fine for draining in the yard, pending customer permission.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
If ANY of the following is in your presprays, do not use wastewater to water your lawn or dump it into any storm system!:

TSP (trisodium phosphate)
STPP (sodium tripolyphosphate)
2-butoxyethanol
ANY chemical with an oral lethal dose (LD50) of less than 2000mg/kg
ANY chemical with more than .5% total phosphorus
ANY chemical with a VOC limit of greater than 1%

Reactions: RAW Prespray

RAW Prespray

Preferred Vendor
Sep 29, 2011
La Porte, IN
www.evercleantn.com
Real Name
Brandon B
Business Location
United States
If ANY of the following is in your presprays, do not use wastewater to water your lawn or dump it into any storm system!:

TSP (trisodium phosphate)
STPP (sodium tripolyphosphate)
2-butoxyethanol
ANY chemical with an oral lethal dose (LD50) of less than 2000mg/kg
ANY chemical with more than .5% total phosphorus
ANY chemical with a VOC limit of greater than 1%

I'll add, there are tolerance limits per CFR 40, 180.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
There are indeed, but that's assuming that the products are being used as directed. Tell me every tech measures out the proper quantity every time and doesn't "housewife it" to make it stronger, and I'll send you a cookie, lol. :D

RAW Prespray

Preferred Vendor
Sep 29, 2011
La Porte, IN
www.evercleantn.com
Real Name
Brandon B
Business Location
United States
There are indeed, but that's assuming that the products are being used as directed. Tell me every tech measures out the proper quantity every time and doesn't "housewife it" to make it stronger, and I'll send you a cookie, lol. :D
A cookie, hmm...with phosphates? :)

Frank House

Feb 1, 2016
Real Name
Frank H
You're describing septic wastewater that is actually drained in backyards.

My point: there certain cleaners out there that do not contain the environmentally unfriendly chemicals contained in the Safe Water Act, which would make them fine for draining in the yard, pending customer permission.

Yes but what did the client use on the carpet?
What did the client spill on the carpet?
What did the previous cleaner use on the carpet?
To many variables for me to dump it into our environment.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
All other things aside I can't imagine it being a good idea to store waste water in a barrel to water your yard. I mean, that stuff can get pretty nasty! I had a little accident last Saturday after cleaning and extremely soiled and very nasty pet stained living room. I picked up my Devastator filter and the lid just fell off dumping that disgusting filth and freshly recovered water that was in it all over my leg and soaked my right shoe.:yuck:Talk about toxic waste! I was devastated. No way on earth I'd put that nasty stuff in a barrel to save it for the lawn. Fortunately I was only a few minutes from home and the SHOWER! :D