Does anyone have experience with ESD stripping and waxing?

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
One of my bigger facilities asked me if I'd like to bid on waxing two computer labs with ESD finishes. I've been reading up on the process, but have no idea what the going rate is for stripping and recoating with electrostatic discharge finish. I do know the products cost about 40% more than regular acrylic finishes and require about two hours minimum between coats....anyone do these?

Reactions: Joseph Rogers

Reflections138

Nov 21, 2014
East Texas
Real Name
Jacob Simpson
Business Location
United States
I know the spartan esd requires only 45 minutes minimum but I can't recall the price of it. It's called nc no charge. Also, you can't autoscrub or buff this finish, but back to the point. Take the difference between the price of what you usually pay for finish and the esd finish and charge that amount plus 20%. I would then charge double my normal rate since it takes at least 2x longer.

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
If it cost $100. You need to make a $1000. Or round about. Your cure time waiting is up to you. If your wanna charge extra. I would stay around 10% product cost. Delicate job they may not want a cheap company. Just a go by for me. Always different situations. Corners or wide open. Build up on edges. Things like that.

Reflections138

Nov 21, 2014
East Texas
Real Name
Jacob Simpson
Business Location
United States
Check into whether you can do that kind of finish with a square scrub first. If you can't scrub or buff that finish, it might not take well with that type of floor prep since it's not actually stripping all of the old finish.

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
Thanks, there are special strippers for the coatings... I need to factor all in my prices. One of the danger areas ( I've read) is putting the finish on too thick. When that happens the colloidal graphite that makes the finish conductive can migrate to the surface creating an "oil slick ". This requires stripping again before proceeding.... ( directions I've read on line). Apparently these finishes also don't dry as fast as regular acrylic waxes so micro thin coats improves dry and curing times as well. They are also temperature sensitive. The labs are always 72 degrees in this facility so that won't be an issue. Furniture is, though, there's a lot of test equipment I'll be working around. So probably a fair amount of hands and knees work by these tables and legs.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Never did one that big before paul.
Usually its a small room with other areas so we finish it first and then 1 more time before we leave.

Knowing how meticulous you are at least $1 sqr.

The sqr scrub might kick up too much dust for that environment.

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
They've emailed me about getting the proposal... the janitorial company they're using is mediocre at best and and has no access to the labs, There will be a lot of stuff that can't be moved to strip around...hands and knees so the stripping will be slow.

Shane, I think you're right about too much dust there. It'll probably take about 5-6 hours to strip both labs, that's the hard part. I'll be applying coats between the two so that will make the wait time betwen coats shorter.

Reactions: Common janitor