Do you put prices on your website? Why or why not? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Do you put prices on your website? Why or why not?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
In another thread there is some discussion about putting prices on your website. I made the comment that I pulled the prices off my site years ago and it was one of the best things I have ever done.

In the other thread I was asked the following:

Hi Todd, what’s the rationale for not having prices on your website?
Here is my reply. I’m also interested to hear what you think. Do you post your prices?

It limits you to the price you have posted.

When you walk into a job that is absolutely trashed do you charge the same as a job that is basically clean before you clean it? 5 rooms on the trashed job can take twice as long as 5 rooms on another job.

Also, are you going to charge the same price in a 1500 square foot house as you do in a 6000 square foot house? I charge by the area/room and rooms tend to be a lot bigger in a 6000 square foot house.

for upholstery are you going to charge the same price for a silk or velvet sofa as you would for an easily cleanable synthetic fabric?

How about tile & grout that has wax on it? Just yesterday I booked a job where I have to remove wax from tile & grout. I charged double my normal price.

There’s just too many variables in this business to post a one size fits all price.

Dizzle Dazzle

Sep 24, 2019
Real Name
Konrad Bilinski
Business Location
Canada
All very good points, I’m pretty new to the CC world and I’ve put the prices up as Thats something I would personally be able to find. However I understand that it may not be the best business decision. To be honest, most people that contacted me so far have asked for a quote regardless of the listed prices. The only time they haven’t is if it’s from an add on Kijiji where they’re also listed.

I have been coached to use the square foot method but I’m still not sold on it. Most of my competitors list per room pricing and I haven’t been in the game long enough to distinguish my self yet.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Stanley Steemer has been putting their prices on their site for years. So I think many in this industry copy that as it’s what most customers know to say or compare. So getting into a home to educate and sell is imperative. Prices probably not. A min, probably can.

Reactions: Dizzle Dazzle

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Currently I don't have my prices on my website and never did, I don't even have a minimum work required price, however I am thinking of putting them for a while now, because things are getting annoying when a customer calls to ask for pricing and as soon as the price shopper hears my price would hang up or try to negotiate. There are some companies have their prices listed on their web site and it is working for them and at the same time this will reduce these non sense calls. Yes filthy carpets will take longer to clean, in this case you can also add package list price on the website, this will give the customer the confidence that we can clean filtration lines, spots/stains, pet treatment but with an extra charge. These are my add ons, Pet add on (odor removal and urine treatment), heavy build up add on (unlimited spots/stain treatment and remove excessive amount of dirt from the carpet) and filtration lines add on. All of these will be listed on the website. You will be surprised tons of companies can't get rid of simple spots and filtration lines. By listing these add ons will give them the message that this company will clean these problematic areas for a cost which the other company couldn't do it the last time.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Most of my competitors list per room pricing and I haven’t been in the game long enough to distinguish my self yet.
common thinking. you have to be like all the rest just to get started. BAD IDEA. at some point your have to going to change. Why not start now?

Use your marketing to distinquish yourself.

Dizzle Dazzle

Sep 24, 2019
Real Name
Konrad Bilinski
Business Location
Canada
Currently I don't have my prices on my website and never did, I don't even have a minimum work required price, however I am thinking of putting them for a while now, because things are getting annoying when a customer calls to ask for pricing and as soon as the price shopper hears my price would hang up or try to negotiate. There are some companies have their prices listed on their web site and it is working for them and at the same time this will reduce these non sense calls. Yes filthy carpets will take longer to clean, in this case you can also add package list price on the website, this will give the customer the confidence that we can clean filtration lines, spots/stains, pet treatment but with an extra charge. These are my add ons, Pet add on (odor removal and urine treatment), heavy build up add on (unlimited spots/stain treatment and remove excessive amount of dirt from the carpet) and filtration lines add on. All of these will be listed on the website. You will be surprised tons of companies can't get rid of simple spots and filtration lines. By listing these add ons will give them the message that this company will clean these problematic areas for a cost which the other company couldn't do it the last time.

What tool do you use for filtration lines? I’m assuming that’s the dirt build up around edges?

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Services and Pricing

Carpet Cleaning

~1 room(under 15x20) $69.95
~2 rooms(under 15x20) $69.95
~each additional room(under 15x20) $30
~hallways/bathrooms/walk in closets $15
~entry ways $15
~stairs $3.00 each, full set=$30
~landings $5

New Bonzer wand and CRB Cleaning
~1 room $109.95(under 15x20)
~2 rooms $109.95(under 15x20)
~each additional room $40

NEW!!! RejuvenatIng Cleaning
~1st room $99(under 15x20)
~each additional room $50

Duct cleaning

**50% Off Special**

~$270 for up to the 1st 10 hot air ducts(normally $540)
~$15 for each additional hot air vent after 10(normally $19 per additional vent)
*cold air returns are FREE
Duct Treatment $50
Carpet Repairs
~Restretches start at $99 per room(under 12x18)
~Patching starts at $99, depends on size of patch
~Seam repair quoted upon job

Furniture cleaning
~couch $75 steam/$150 dry cleaned
~love seat $60 steam/$120 dry cleaned
~chair(small) $30 steam/$60 dry cleaned
~chair(medium/recliner) $40 steam/$80 dry cleaned
~chair(oversized) $45 steam/$90 dry cleaned
~dining chair $5 per cushion(seat/back)
~ottoman $15 steam/$30 dry cleaned
~sectional couch $140 steam/$280 dry cleaned
~mattress $59.95 per side, any size

Tile/Grout Floor cleaning
~floors
1 room $75, with grout sealant $115
2 rooms $125, with grout sealant $205
3 rooms $175, with grout sealant $295
4 rooms $225, with grout sealant $385
5 rooms $275, with grout sealant $475
6 rooms $325, with grout sealant $565
each additional room cleaned, add $50, each additional room sealed, add $40
~showers/baths
minimum $99, and quoted by the technician
~vinyl floors
minimum $99, and quoted by the technician

Wood floor cleaning

~cleaning and re-coating wood floors $1.40/sq foot

*floor size not room size, no buffing or sanding

*not all floors need to be re-coated, will be discussed
Auto/Rv/boat carpet and upholstery cleaning
~cleaning the carpet and/or the upholstery in your car or your toys, call for pricing
*****FUEL CHARGE WILL APPLY*****

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
do you put prices on your website?

I believe that one needs to first figure out if their company is going to be price motivated or quality motivated (cant have both). So once that decision is made, its easy to figure out how you should plan your marketing (which includes if you should post prices)

I dont because my website shows that I am different than other carpet cleaning companies out there (quality motivated). You must design your marketing around the type of client you want to attract.

Do I get calls asking for price? Sure. But a Master Carpenter doesnt charge the same rate as a Handyman.

JN37

Dec 6, 2019
Real Name
Justin Nicholas
This is a tough one! Customers nowadays don't want to get on the phone as much (even though I believe sometimes it is crucial to be able to actually speak to a customer). They want to handle everything from their computer or iPhone. Customers also want to know what they're going to be paying ahead of time, plain and simple. Online booking is a HUGE feature for both you and your customer IMO. And you can't really have that without them seeing some sort of pricing.

That being said, there are a lot of variables in this industry and rarely (if ever) are 2 jobs identical. So it's also hard to put up blanket pricing on the services we offer. And if you get too specific with your pricing it becomes confusing for the client. It amazes me how many people are unable to calculate square footage in a 12x12 square room...

It's kind of a catch 22, because you want your site to be informing, but you also want a potential customer to have a reason to pick up the phone and call you.

Reactions: Thewy

Dizzle Dazzle

Sep 24, 2019
Real Name
Konrad Bilinski
Business Location
Canada
This is a tough one! Customers nowadays don't want to get on the phone as much (even though I believe sometimes it is crucial to be able to actually speak to a customer). They want to handle everything from their computer or iPhone. Customers also want to know what they're going to be paying ahead of time, plain and simple. Online booking is a HUGE feature for both you and your customer IMO. And you can't really have that without them seeing some sort of pricing.

That being said, there are a lot of variables in this industry and rarely (if ever) are 2 jobs identical. So it's also hard to put up blanket pricing on the services we offer. And if you get too specific with your pricing it becomes confusing for the client. It amazes me how many people are unable to calculate square footage in a 12x12 square room...

It's kind of a catch 22, because you want your site to be informing, but you also want a potential customer to have a reason to pick up the phone and call you.

Furthermore, what happens when you quote someone over the phone but you arrive and the situation you’re faced with is different than described? Do you adjust the price in person?

JN37

Dec 6, 2019
Real Name
Justin Nicholas
Furthermore, what happens when you quote someone over the phone but you arrive and the situation you’re faced with is different than described? Do you adjust the price in person?
Of course, if needed!

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
If you quote a price over the phone give a rough estimate.

“Without seeing the work to be done it sounds like the price will be around $200-250. I will give you a firm quote once I see the work to be done.”

I always offer to set up an in home estimate if they need an exact price.

Reactions: PistolPete

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
They want to handle everything from their computer or iPhone.
Jeez I must be doing something wrong. My customers cant book online and when they do call, they have to leave a message and wait for me to call them back! But then again, if people were able to book online I would be...............................................busier. no thanks.
Online booking is a HUGE feature
Yep! It sure is! I find it handy to see how far out my competitors are booked out. Usually its two or three days (even in Oct, Nov, Dec!) Im usually booked out two weeks. Dang its a great feature!

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Jeez I must be doing something wrong. My customers cant book online and when they do call, they have to leave a message and wait for me to call them back! But then again, if people were able to book online I would be...............................................busier. no thanks.

We feel much the same.