Do you price match? What’s your reply? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Do you price match? What’s your reply?

jack zerkie

Jun 27, 2008
cape coral florida
Business Location
United States
Most people calling for low prices never find out the quality of a really good carpet cleaner. Another guy in the area just passed away. He worked really cheap but no quality. I'm now getting his calls. The first thing I do is to walk the job for problems and price. The home owner says that they know the price already. I explain my version for me. The price is always higher.I tell them that if they allow me to clean at my price and they are unhappy that they can pay me his old price but I will never come back. If they are happy pay my price. I have had over 50 jobs and not lost one. Some even say they didn't remember the carpet was that color. Cleaning for 40 yrs solo and just turned 79 this week. So guys don't give up , My slogan is dirty white carpets are my specialty so call Jack on the carpet. jz

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
Wow, what a variety of responses.

My goal is simple ( reference to mr. otto ), whatever comes out of the clients mouth in that initial call is inconsequential • not a bit of concern to me.

I have a phone call • wooooo hoooooo yeah buddy. There is nothing coming from the other end of that phone that makes me unhappy ! ! !

I just think we need to re-think our overall long term strategy when a good thing ( phone rings <—- Good ! ),
some How gets mixed up for ( bad thing ? ? ? ), it puzzles me.

Who cares what words are being said • man, make a client • can’t do it ? ? ? • dude, you gotta get this right before anything else • UNDERSTAND what is happening & ”fix” the communication ”alternator“.

You wouldn’t think to pull up to a clients house with a busted “alternator” • • • either one !

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
Wow, what a variety of responses.

My goal is simple ( reference to mr. otto ), whatever comes out of the clients mouth in that initial call is inconsequential • not a bit of concern to me.

I have a phone call • wooooo hoooooo yeah buddy. There is nothing coming from the other end of that phone that makes me unhappy ! ! !

I just think we need to re-think our overall long term strategy when a good thing ( phone rings <—- Good ! ),
some How gets mixed up for ( bad thing ? ? ? ), it puzzles me.

Who cares what words are being said • man, make a client • can’t do it ? ? ? • dude, you gotta get this right before anything else • UNDERSTAND what is happening & ”fix” the communication ”alternator“.

You wouldn’t think to pull up to a clients house with a busted “alternator” • • • either one !

Allow me • indulge me.

At the time you are on the phone, there is no cleaning, no nose picking, no nut scratching, ( it’s phone time ).

Don’t think there is a thing else in the world to do • do a booking • book the darn client • nothing else.

If you are cleaning, clean If You pick up the phone, YOU BOOK • nothing else. You don’t come in to clean and leave having taught 3rd grade <—— yeah, I know • doesn’t make sense - lol

Last edited:

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I reread my post. I still cant see how you think I said or meant that.

If price is the only concern they have, then Im not that interested. If you want to spend 20 minutes on the phone with these people trying to tell them how great you are, then go ahead.

If price is one in three or four questions, (how long does it take to dry, when can you do it, etc) then I understand they just dont know the right questions to ask. In fact the more questions they ask, the more interested I am in getting their business.

Just my experience of over 40 years.

Never did I say that anything that they said was unimportant.

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis

If price is the only concern they have, then Im not that interested. If you want to spend 20 minutes on the phone with these people trying to tell them how great you are, then go ahead.

If price is one in three or four questions, (how long does it take to dry, when can you do it, etc) then I understand they just dont know the right questions to ask. In fact the more questions they ask, the more interested I am in getting their business.

No, no. My reference was to the keeping it simple. I didn't imply anything else.

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis

Yes, I see where the thing is you’re saying.

In fact one or two words would be fine w me if that’s what it took • & sometimes that is everything you need.

Someone eluded to over-talking; not what I said.

Use the min amount of time to convey only useful / productive results <—- the entire strategy • • •

in a nutshell <——- case in point - lol.

What I actually said was that our job at that point in time is booking • as other tasks have their “point in time” • each needing a specific set of skills • often lacking • or worse, negatively implemented, when it comes to “effectively communicating”.

Last edited:

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
ok, I misunderstood your post, sorry.