Do you price match? What’s your reply? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Do you price match? What’s your reply?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Seems our receptionists are getting this a lot. How do you reply?

IMG_1357.JPG

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
Qualify the question. Clarify / Distinguish between reaching a price point & the direct correspondence to the services provided.

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
Qualify the question. Clarify / Distinguish between reaching a price point & the direct correspondence to the services provided.
Quality / Performance of the Services compared may be very different from co - co. This is difficult to quantify but it does add a viable argument for your unequalled results.

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
Questions about price / service or anything else whatsoever, are indicators of the clients interest In your co. Conversations with clients are perfect relationship builders • an opportunity to connect - regardless of the topic.

These are perfect opportunities to build a stronger connection to YOUR co.

We should consider these and ALL interactions with the client as Opportunity Gifts !

Reactions: Darthmaeglin

Darthmaeglin

Oct 16, 2020
Real Name
Ben Kelley
I suppose my conversations tend to take a question like this in the context of the rest of the conversation. If it feels like they're hunting for the lowest price the response would be along the lines of "If you found a price you like why don't you use that guy?"
If it feels like they just don't want to be cheated the conversation may go into why my price differs from the one they got elsewhere and include a "I'd be happy to provide a free demonstration if you still aren't certain."
I don't cut my prices because someone else charges less, but in conversations like this I always try to remember that I, too, shop around. Good business happens when quality and cost intersect.

Reactions: rob allen

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
I suppose my conversations tend to take a question like this in the context of the rest of the conversation. If it feels like they're hunting for the lowest price the response would be along the lines of "If you found a price you like why don't you use that guy?"
If it feels like they just don't want to be cheated the conversation may go into why my price differs from the one they got elsewhere and include a "I'd be happy to provide a free demonstration if you still aren't certain."
I don't cut my prices because someone else charges less, but in conversations like this I always try to remember that I, too, shop around. Good business happens when quality and cost intersect.
You said “Good business happens when quality and cost intersect”

If “good business“ is defined as “profitable” rather than ethical <——— ( not mutually exclusive & shouldn’t be, obviously ), than you would be only partially correct, even if you include an ethical element to the argument.

I clean better than anyone I know. I know as much about what I do as the best OO’s & techs ( a legend in my own mind - lol ). But if you cannot articulate a conversation with clients effectively, it’s worthless. If product and service quality are important then communication is more so.

Clients <—— ( I use this word because it’s short - not cause I’m uppitty - lol ), will surely, surely judge you by your *appearance & your *conversation.

If you are weak in the area of communication, it is more vital to “fix“ this problem than it is to r & r a trashed alternator on your TM • imho

* appearance includes your : van / apparel / equipment condition / personal presentation <—— hygiene, e.I. , hair / wrinkled clothing / t-shirt & jeans or uniform etc.
* conversation includes : verbal and behavioral

Darthmaeglin

Oct 16, 2020
Real Name
Ben Kelley
If “good business“ is defined as “profitable” rather than ethical
I suppose I would sum up "good business" as "profitable for both sides", just as I would sum up "ethical business" as "profitable for both sides". You could go further, but at some point we're writing a book instead of forum posts.

You are absolutely correct and in my defense I used the word "quality" like you used the word "clients," because it's a short word with a lot of meaning. By quality I mean the quality of the cleaning, the quality of the communication, the quality of the appearance, the quality of our character (which is where the ethical business comes in), the quality of the whole experience we offer the customer. What we are charging them for starts before they even hear of us and ends long after we've parted ways. As you say, when they ask a question like "Do you price match," it is an opportunity for us to explain all that to them or for us to assume they can't afford our level of quality. Assuming instead of communicating leaves money on the table.
You're also right about how a conversation is more than just words which is why I offer a demonstration, if they are interested in quality work we can continue the conversation in person and have even better communication. I can't fully read someone over the phone and they can't fully understand what I mean by "quality" without seeing who I am and what I do.

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
I made mention of the way you suggested responding to Rob’s Post only to say that transfer of information can occur well or poorly or not at.

In a more directed statement I might have mentioned that this forum has a lot of new guys with little experience & a lot of fire.

The incredible opportunity that presents itself whenever a conversation occurs between ABC CC & the client, is a cherished thing to covet.

It‘s cool to share your personal experiences or nuances • no problem.

The general forum • our newest members especially • might benefit from seeing a couple different approaches to Rob’s question if an antagonistic response, rather than drawing / winning the client to the point of booking is advised • I’d naturally encourage building on the phone call / email / ? to the point of booking. Knowing how to connect positively with the client should be the first thing we hone before knocking on a door to clean. imho

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
When confronted with that question I like to ask" and what are you getting for that price Mrs. Smith"?
You would be amazed at the number of times I hear "I guess for the cleaning". Most people are unaware of what you offer vs the low price guys. I like to educate them on all I offer and have even had them call me back and say that the other guy didn't offer what I offer and scheduled their cleaning.
Remember guys LIVE BY PRICE DIE BY PRICE.

Reactions: rob allen and SRD

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
i try to use the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method on everything I do and not try to confuse the customer (because most of us cleaners like to talk about ourselves too much) so here is my answer.

*If you call all 30 carpet cleaners in the area, you will get 30 different levels of service and 30 different prices. That is because not all carpet cleaners do the same thing. There are just too many variables. * (then stop talking)

Just throwing this out there, but just saying your better or spending 5 minutes on the phone trying to explain your process just confuses people. I just refer them to my website and say that there is a video which explains step by step what I do.

BTW, if the only question is about price, I try to shy away from the job. If its one of many questions then I know they are looking for as much information as possible.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
My reply is very simple and usually wins the client outright, "My competitor knows best what his services are worth"

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
How I usually reply...

“Ma’am if I lowered my price I’d have to lower my quality and I just don’t feel right about that. That’s probably why we have more 5 star reviews than anyone in our 7 city district. I’d love to make you a 5 star customer. I could however give you our 1st time customer discount of 10% off. Does that work for you”?

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
No I dont.

Whenever i am asked if I do price match

I say, No I do not.

Simple and I do not need to explain because they asked for an answer to their question, not an explanation to my answer.

Reactions: rob allen

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
Gosh, you really get a real boost in the gut when you get to piss off a client but the wallet takes a 2-3 K / client if you do.

I’d rather heap coals on their heads • and turn them into a cheerleader.

You know, I just can’t bring myself to turning down a real good challenge • they usually turn out super great • not always - lol

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
in all of my years in business I have only been asked 2 times.