Do you have a spare tire. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Do you have a spare tire.

Old fat and slow

Jun 16, 2020
Real Name
Mike Peterson
New cars are being sold without spare tires. Most people don't find out till they get a flat tire on the highway. They provide a worthless jell product that only works for very small holes. Once you use it the tire is garbage. You will end up calling a tow truck driver who will have to tow your vehicle because he doesn't bring spare tires. They have been doing this because they say it gives you better gas mileage. The real reason is it saves them about $22 per vehicle and it's a add on sale if you want a spare. For $300 they will build a tire mounting bracket.

Reactions: CCWorks

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
I drive BMWs with run flats and have free roadside on them and my F150, I don't mind changing a tire but don't have a need to in my current situation. My F150 is lifted so it would be a pain to do on my own anyway...

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Haven't changed a flat tire out since probably 2000. My 2011 van lol i dont even know if it has air in it to be honest. Or if i can lower it out from under there now. I carry a plug kit. Pull screw out, plug it, fill it. And back in business. Takes about 3 minutes.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I drive BMWs with run flats and have free roadside on them and my F150, I don't mind changing a tire but don't have a need to in my current situation. My F150 is lifted so it would be a pain to do on my own anyway...
What size/kind of sneakers do you got on the 150?

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I’d rather just call AAA and let them tow me home. This way I can just tell my wife “What you want from me? I had no spare.

Reactions: sbsscn

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Good all around size. Especially for a 150. Bfg's?
I use to run 40-17 16.5 Gumbo monsters on a 250. Then swampers. Swamper tsl were horrible lol. Weren't even round. They definitely took some effort putting on. But the oversize mud lugs made really good handles.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Haven't changed a flat tire out since probably 2000. My 2011 van lol i dont even know if it has air in it to be honest. Or if i can lower it out from under there now. I carry a plug kit. Pull screw out, plug it, fill it. And back in business. Takes about 3 minutes.

It’s amazing how many guys don’t know about plugs

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
Plugs are awesome
Don’t even need to take the wheel off
Even a split in the sidewall just keep stuffing plugs into the hole until it seals MAGIC
Took the runflats off my X5 they suck, ruin the ride!!!

BFGs best off road/AT/MT tyres by a long way

Last edited:
Reactions: keep it clean

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
New cars are being sold without spare tires. Most people don't find out till they get a flat tire on the highway. They provide a worthless jell product that only works for very small holes. Once you use it the tire is garbage. You will end up calling a tow truck driver who will have to tow your vehicle because he doesn't bring spare tires. They have been doing this because they say it gives you better gas mileage. The real reason is it saves them about $22 per vehicle and it's a add on sale if you want a spare. For $300 they will build a tire mounting bracket.

The gel/slime/aerosol doesn’t ruin the tyre
Running it flat kills the tyre
And unless you’re trained / lucky the risk of explosion when re-inflating is fairly high
Makes it difficult to find injury and repair

Even run flat tyres can be repaired although some places refuse to.
It depends if the run flat function in the tyres has been “activated” by driving on the tyre flat...

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
a spare on a commercial/cargo van is a must. I had a blow out on the front passenger, Thank God I was exiting freeway when it happened. I dropped my spare from compartment and kept going.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Once a gel/slime is applied on the inside of the tire, it makes it very difficult to prep for a patch. Many shops wont touch the tire with a sealant. Too much liability and worry that the rubber cement wont adhere properly.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Plugs are awesome
Don’t even need to take the wheel off
Even a split in the sidewall just keep stuffing plugs into the hole until it seals MAGIC
Took the runflats off my X5 they suck, ruin the ride!!!

BFGs best off road/AT/MT tyres by a long way
Lol ive done that. I stitched the shoulder of the tire. Rail road spike tore into it. Drove it to sears. They ordered me a new one. Drove on it for a couple days. Just couldnt leave it parked on the plugs or it would hiss. They covered it under road hazard.

The tires on my van now the day i put them on i drove to the dump. Came out with a hole. Plugged it. About 2 years old and have plugs in all 4 now lol. How many in each is anyone's guess lol.
Screenshot_20200619-215943_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: MikeGaure

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I know right. Its too easy. Most times if you're quick about it. You wont even need air. And never mind jacks or stuck lugnuts. Just have to get a good set of steel tools with T- handles. Ream it smooth. Lots of rubber cement and its easy peasy.

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Every flat I've got in my BMW has been a sliced tire...instant 0 PSI...i can still go 70 plus miles

I did push the limits one time

Screenshot_20200619-202105_Gallery.jpg

• Wow

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
Once a gel/slime is applied on the inside of the tire, it makes it very difficult to prep for a patch. Many shops wont touch the tire with a sealant. Too much liability and worry that the rubber cement wont adhere properly.

That’s like you saying to a customer
Oh that spot won’t come out

You wipe/scrape the crap off
Drill out the hole with a tyre bit
Chemically Buff innerliner of tyre clean with solvent
Use a buffing wheel on a die grinder to buff/grind back the inner liner of the tyre so there’s fresh rubber
Rubber cement on fresh rubber
Kombi / mushroom plug
Repaint on the interliner with liquid innerliner sealer

Anyone who tells you oh liability and glue etc doesn’t want to deal with the smelly messy shit in the tyre....simple

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
That’s like you saying to a customer
Oh that spot won’t come out

You wipe/scrape the crap off
Drill out the hole with a tyre bit
Chemically Buff innerliner of tyre clean with solvent
Use a buffing wheel on a die grinder to buff/grind back the inner liner of the tyre so there’s fresh rubber
Rubber cement on fresh rubber
Kombi / mushroom plug
Repaint on the interliner with liquid innerliner sealer

Anyone who tells you oh liability and glue etc doesn’t want to deal with the smelly messy shit in the tyre....simple

I did lots of tires like that as a teenager in an auto shop. I hated busting tires in the summer. An old mechanic taught me the best way of lift tires using my leg. Ac guy I know taught me same method almost for carrying compressors on a roof instead of on a shoulder

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
I did lots of tires like that as a teenager in an auto shop. I hated busting tires in the summer. An old mechanic taught me the best way of lift tires using my leg. Ac guy I know taught me same method almost for carrying compressors on a roof instead of on a shoulder

IMG_2418.JPG
IMG_1925.JPG
IMG_2625.JPG
IMG_2636.JPG

I managed that place for almost 15years
Summers here brutal...like Arizona
Was going to cost me 1.3mil to buy-take over
So I left 3years ago and started carpet cleaning lol
After 40 years in biz, 6months ago they went bust lol
I’ve seen a skinny girl throw a spare tyre onto Roof racks on a 4wd with the knee, right after seen big muscle guy struggle to lift the same thing above his waist with no technique...hilarious!!!