Do you educate clients on their fiber type?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Do you educate your clients on carpet fiber types? Do you recommend a certain type? ‍♂️

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I explain it to them simply. There are two main types of fiber in residential households, polyester and nylon.

The trade off is, polyester is like your credit card, it will bend and break physically but resists stains more easily.

Nylon is like a spring, it moves up and down so you won't get wear and tear but it can stain more easily if protectant is not applied to it.

Beyond that all I tell them is a high face weight of 80+ ounces is ideal for a long lasting carpet and to make sure they don't use an aggressive vacuum

Jt cleaner

Feb 14, 2020
Real Name
Jt hamm
I explain it to them simply. There are two main types of fiber in residential households, polyester and nylon.

The trade off is, polyester is like your credit card, it will bend and break physically but resists stains more easily.

Nylon is like a spring, it moves up and down so you won't get wear and tear but it can stain more easily if protectant is not applied to it.

Beyond that all I tell them is a high face weight of 80+ ounces is ideal for a long lasting carpet and to make sure they don't use an aggressive vacuum
Poly also hold onto oil like a magnet, and I call that not resisting stains. Poly, Olefin, Triexta are all crap. Nylon is king.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
id say about 70% of homes, both parents are working and the kids are at school (a bit less this year of course) so there is nobody to tell.

But there is someone there and we get on the subject I do try to explain things in as simple manner as possible. Dont overtalk to be the expert. KISS.

100% nylon

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I do try to educate the customer a little on fiber types only if I see a real problem in the home that already exists. Here's an example. I got a job about a month ago in a very high end home. The owner has not one, but two Great Danes. They also had 3 wool area rugs worth thousands of dollars with some high end carpets only in bedrooms and most of the home had hard floors. NONE of the carpets were damaged by dog urine and I was able to treat all successfully and cleaned up extremely well. All 3 of the wool rugs I believe are permanently stain damaged with possibly one that could be saved at GREAT COST. (I'd say perhaps 1/2 or more of that rugs retail value "might" save it.) The other two are permanently stain damaged to the extent I doubt anyone on earth can save them. I NEVER recommend regular nylon and especially natural rugs or carpet like wool to pet owners, period. Btw, the same customer had a polypropylene rug that I had zero problem cleaning and no stain damage.

I do recommend polypropylene or solution dyed nylons or polyester in either rugs or carpets if you have pets that almost always go in the home. It depends on what I think the customer can afford or is willing to pay. Wear, furniture dents, and over all durability are also things I discuss fairly regularly. Many polys are a nightmare for these issues and are basically crap carpets that are not very durable and do terrible with furniture dent issues in many cases. I want the customer to know why there's an issue and what to expect if they buy these carpets or rugs.

Last edited:

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I do try to educate the customer a little on fiber types only if I see a real problem in the home that already exists. Here's an example. I got a job about a month ago in a very high end home. The owner has not one, but two Great Danes. They also had 3 wool area rugs worth thousands of dollars with some high end carpets only in bedrooms and most of the home had hard floors. NONE of the carpets were damaged by dog urine and I was able to treat all successfully and cleaned up extremely well. All 3 of the wool rugs I believe are permanently stain damaged with possibly one that could be saved at GREAT COST. (I'd say perhaps 1/2 or more of that rugs retail value "might" save it.) The other two are permanently stain damaged to the extent I doubt anyone on earth can save them. I NEVER recommend regular nylon and especially natural rugs or carpet like wool to pet owners, period. Btw, the same customer had a polypropylene rug that I had zero problem cleaning and no stain damage.

I do recommend polypropylene or solution dyed nylons or polyester in either rugs or carpets if you have pets that almost always go in the home. It depends on what I think the customer can afford or is willing to pay. Wear, furniture dents, and over all durability are also things I discuss fairly regularly. Many polys are a nightmare for these issues and are basically crap carpets that are not very durable and do terrible with furniture dent issues in many cases. I want the customer to know why there's an issue and what to expect if they buy these carpets or rugs.

If someone could invent a cost-effective way of cleaning poly synthetic rugs with pet damage I'd make a killing in my market.

Reactions: pgcleaner

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
I try, but with all the polys out there now and their issues with the uglying of walkways, it sounds like we are just making excuses.

years and years ago, I was buying some sheet goods for my kitchen. While there at the location which sold all types of flooring , I spoke to the reps about the different carpet fibers. Pros and cons etc, took in quite a lot of printed material for them. they were completely unaware/uneducated on the fiber types and their characteristics. They were polite, but I could tell they could not have cared less.