Do you do a good/great job or a good job for the money?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Yikes, 3 for $60?

I do the best I can on each job. It really pays to do so. To date this year I haven't spent even $100 in advertising, my business operates almost 100% on repeat and referral business. You won't get a high level of repeats & referrals if you aren't doing a good job.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I don't see how you can stay in business doing 3 for 60.
they don't. they just advertise that price.

I once saw a lady arguing with a SS guy on her front porch about the price. she was waving the ad at him so they just get people to book off price, but never actually end up charging that rate

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
they don't. they just advertise that price.

I once saw a lady arguing with a SS guy on her front porch about the price. she was waving the ad at him so they just get people to book off price, but never actually end up charging that rate
Zerorez is the same way. They get to your house and charge water fees, disposal fees, etc. There is no way you can get your carpet cleaned for their advertised price so it's not legal advertising.

Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins
Yikes, 3 for $60?

I do the best I can on each job. It really pays to do so. To date this year I haven't spent even $100 in advertising, my business operates almost 100% on repeat and referral business. You won't get a high level of repeats & referrals if you aren't doing a good job.

Same here.. and I know we’re supposed to play nice with others but when it comes down to it the ‘hit it and get it’ crowd as Rob calls them make us all look bad...we get thrown in with lawyers and used car salesmen because of the lack of integrity

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins
And I really like the tmf forum for the ability to share information so those that really want to improve our service can share tips tricks etc because the more of us there are out there doing good work with fair honest pricing and all that it gives the bait n switch crowd maybe a little less footing in the biz

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins
I’ll spin it a bit, are you doing too good of a job for what you charge?

Is that ever really a concern.. that just gives customers who’ve seen your work a reason to stay loyal WHEN you raise you’re prices... I actually purposely make any improvements first then a year or so later raise my price to correlate with my quality that way I’m always raising prices after a lot of them have seen the quality

Reactions: Jose Holguin

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
A good thing to remember is you cannot care more than the customer. In other words 'clean'is a very subjective term.
Some people are pigs so their definition is one level, others will go behind you with a Q tip and magnifying glass!
Getting a good feel or read on a customer is an art.
I have killed myself doing a fantastic job and it's been shrugged off.
Other times the customer found me on my knees in the back of a closet with a scrub brush and rag and were blown away.
My goal is to make cheerleaders out of every customer. So far I have 100% 5* reviews on Google.
I don't expect that to continue but it's my goal.

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
I do the best job that I can and know how to do. That being said I know there are many cleaners on here that have much better results than I do. I have been at this a year and still learn something new every day.

Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins
A good thing to remember is you cannot care more than the customer. In other words 'clean'is a very subjective term.
Some people are pigs so their definition is one level, others will go behind you with a Q tip and magnifying glass!
Getting a good feel or read on a customer is an art.
I have killed myself doing a fantastic job and it's been shrugged off.
Other times the customer found me on my knees in the back of a closet with a scrub brush and rag and were blown away.
My goal is to make cheerleaders out of every customer. So far I have 100% 5* reviews on Google.
I don't expect that to continue but it's my goal.

So are you saying it’s ok to do a job quality level based on the customers level of knowledge/ignorance? Why not instead position yourself to be the pickiest person in the room ALWAYS and from that perspective make it your job to help inform them as to why a great job is important to them ... also I often do things at a job solely because ‘I would know’ even if the customer had no clue basically for me it’s the God is always watching thing

Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins
I do the best job that I can and know how to do. That being said I know there are many cleaners on here that have much better results than I do. I have been at this a year and still learn something new every day.

The key is it sounds like you’re trying to improve on every job and as long as you’re accurate and honest as to where you are skill wise then you’ll only keep getting better... remember not everyone can be as good as me .... yes I’m joking been doing this almost 20 years and I learn stuff daily

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
So are you saying it’s ok to do a job quality level based on the customers level of knowledge/ignorance? Why not instead position yourself to be the pickiest person in the room ALWAYS and from that perspective make it your job to help inform them as to why a great job is important to them ... also I often do things at a job solely because ‘I would know’ even if the customer had no clue basically for me it’s the God is always watching thing
No what I'm saying is sometimes it's wasted going super above and beyond.
I always do a spectacular job, I'm just saying, cat litter box overflowing, paint all over the floor, hair everywhere...