Do you alter the environment when cleaning to speed up drying? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Do you alter the environment when cleaning to speed up drying?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
When you’re at a home do you suggest or open windows? Do you ask or adjust heat and a/c? What suggestions or actions do you take to alter the cleaning environment to accelerate dry times?

IMG_6018.JPG

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
absolutely! Many times the client does not thing of these things.

1. Open windows if weather appropriate. Even if its just a tad cold, I recommend that they open them just an inch on each side of the home for an hour or two. Just enough to get the extra humidity out but not enough to cool the house down.

2. FANS! I ask on the initial inspection if they have any fans they would like me to set before I leave.

3. Air conditioning is a no brainer if its hot/humid outside. I explain that its a huge dehumidifier.

4. Temps are tricky. You want the client to be comfortable but winters coming up and there have been days when I get an elderly client that likes it toasty warm. Makes me sweat that much more so be sensitive since it is their home.

If house is vacant or client is not home, if its beneficial to change the thermostat, I just go for it but turn it to the initial settings when leaving.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
cleaned a vacant condo to day. Temp was 76 with a 30 MPH wind. Opened all windows and all the rooms except the last one I cleaned were dry by the time I was done loading up.

Reactions: rob allen

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Yes if I think it's needed. Right now we're in the in between the time of using the a/c for hot weather and the heat for cold weather. I use everything at my disposal. It was very humid here today and rained later in the day. I do whatever I think is best to fit the situation and tell the customer I did it and why if at all possible. Today I informed the customer that the a/c needed to be cranked down at least overnight since the windows could not be opened and there were no ceiling fans along with the high humidity. I've found just a good working ceiling fan can dry a good sized room in 1/2 the time so I often turn them on if possible. I also use my fans when I think it's necessary and occasionally leave them to retrieve later.

I've mentioned this before, but once back in the 90's I cleaned a very large family room thinking the a/c would be going and that it would dry w/o a problem. Unknown to me the customer left immediately after I did for a week long vacation and turned EVERYTHING OFF. No air circulation and the house closed up tight as a drum. A few days go by and I get a call because the client's mother went in and found the carpet was still wet! I learned a lesson that day that's helped me ever since. I know it was my fault the carpet was still wet simply because I did not know to warn the customer of what would happen if they turned the a/c off and shut the house up EVEN IN THE MIDDLE OF A VERY HOT SUMMER!!! If I'd only known they were fixing to go on vacation it wouldn't have happened. I was using a Castex DVA as an electric truck mount and a Little Giant 120,000 BTU heater at the time btw and generally didn't have a problem with dry times.

Reactions: rob allen

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
my 3 very important drying requirements for drying which are the instructions I give my clients,customers

1) Warm air temperature, minimum 71 degrees
2)air circulation. Fans or creating a air current by opening windows to create a draft. unless its hot and sunny outside I open a window or 2 up to 2 inches wide open.
3) Ventilation. opening a window or running a bathroom evacuator fan or stove hood fan.

Air conditioning is encouraged because air conditioners
cool air, clean air and dry air. plus they also circulate the air.
the Drying and circulating air is what I want.

My drying times are at within 24 hours.
But I explain to the client/customer that if its not dry within the mentioned time then a step is not being followed.

I have drying instructions on my invoices sticking out. this saves me from liability