Do you advertise Carpet Protector with Teflon?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Once upon a time there was a carpet protector called DuPont Teflon Advanced. That product is no longer manufactured. A new protector with significantly improved repellency against oils came on the scene. The name is now Advanced Protector with Teflon. This product is excellent for use on olefin, polyester and triexta fibers which all have an affinity for oil.

DuPont want to make sure the name is not misused. If you have on-line advertising materials promoting "DuPont Teflon Advanced" I suggest you change to the new product and name - Advanced Protector with Teflon."

Here is a link to the new product - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CP16GL

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Our company manufactures 7 different protectors; for variety of fibers, solvent based or water-based; with or without acid dye resistors. We also carry a few protectors amde by other companies.

Advanced Protector with Teflon is ours as are four premium protectors which carry the Maxim brand name.

Every cleaner should be offering protector to their customers. The majority of our customers want protectors and it is an excellent boost to the bottom line. The key to benefiting your customer is to be sure you apply an appropriate protector to match the fiber and the hazards it may encounter.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
awesome I will check that out when im at interlink this week, I am running low on protectant

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
If you have any questions about which protector for which fiber, just ask.

You may like the article in the current Cleanfax on-line about choosing the right protector for oleophilic fibers.

Chris Henry

Jul 20, 2017
Real Name
Bucky Rogers

You may like the article in the current Cleanfax on-line about choosing the right protector for oleophilic fibers.
Thanks for the insight. I honestly didn't know the difference until I read the article. Now I realize I need to carry different protectants for different fiber types.
(And knowing is half the battle)

May 31, 2009
Houston,TX
Real Name
Ibrahim Kural
Business Location
United States

Scott Thanks for the info, What do you think of the health issues associated with carpet protector, anything better than previous versions, any idea?
My only problem is that I wouldn't want to be a distributor of Cancer causing products, we already deal with enough but I think this is worst one, and TEFLON doesn't have a good reputation t caring of customers health.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Scott Thanks for the info, What do you think of the health issues associated with carpet protector, anything better than previous versions, any idea?
My only problem is that I wouldn't want to be a distributor of Cancer causing products, we already deal with enough but I think this is worst one, and TEFLON doesn't have a good reputation t caring of customers health.

The issues with the older polymers were with longer chains known as C8 for the 8 carbon atoms in each chain. They did collect in the body. So, C8 polymers could accumulate in the body over time. This was potentially a health issues, since the long term effects were unknown. They were never shown to cause cancer, but potentially they could have adverse health effects.

Some organizations had their own agendas for spreading news and some fake news about this.

PFOA and PFOS were steps in the manufacturing of protectors. These were getting into the drinking water supply near the manufacturing plants. They were able to cause cancer. Under pressure from the US EPA, the manufacturers agreed to stop making these products. They did continue to sell protectors that had already been made.

At least one major manufacturer stopped making fabric protector for a few years while they figured out a new method. But all they current manufacturers do have methods that do not involve PFOS and PFOA and these products getting into ground water.

The new protectors are based on a shorter carbon chain polymer known as C6. These do not accumulate in the body and so do not build up. If they somehow get into a person's digest tract, they are eliminated. I still would not advise consuming protector.

All the available research shows that C6 polymers do not harm people, plants nor the environment.

Bridgepoint was the first big seller of protector to stop using C8. None of our products have had C8 polymers for many years.

Teflon is a brand name that is used on many things. For example the non-stick coating on frying pans, but that is a different product from Advanced Carpet Protector with Teflon.

There are accounts about Teflon frying pans producing toxic gasses when heated above 1400 F. That means a full-on fire! If your frying pan has reached 1400 F, then you have more urgent things to worry about than what gas it is giving off. Get out of the house! None of those stories have anything to do with carpet protector.

Any protector should not be inhaled. You do not want a coating on your lung tissue. Take steps to apply properly so that you are spraying larger droplets at the proper pressure to assure the protector is getting on the carpet and not hanging around as droplets in the air that can be inhaled. Wearing a respirator is a good idea. Don't have other people, especially children, nor pets in the area until the protector has dried.

Properly used, protectors keep the carpet cleaner longer. They assure that more soils, pollutants and contaminates are removed each time the carpet is vacuumed. That is healthy for people and their environment.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Scott, whats you take on the "Green" protectors?
I hear that some can only be used with "w" code.
Ive also hear the term " Fluoro" and Acid

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Scott, whats you take on the "Green" protectors?
I hear that some can only be used with "w" code.
Ive also hear the term " Fluoro" and Acid
There are 4 broad categories of protectors in use. Some were more popular in the past, but are still occasionally used today. There are also 4 thongs that carpets typically need to be protected against.
  • protection against water-based spills
  • protection from oily and greasy spills and stains
  • protection against dry soil. Dry gritty soil is one of the worst things for carpet life. It scratches, abrades and even cuts some fibers.
  • Protection against dyes and food coloring. The thing most home-owners worry about; kids spilling drinks or someone spilling an sports / energy drink.

• Colloidal silica is basically polished playground sand. The idea is to fill and abrasions and scratches in carpet fibers with the small particles of sand suspended in water-based solution. Cost is under 1 cent per sq. ft. Great if you want to bid for protecting a carpet based on only price. But does not help much.
  • Silicon - great oil resistance; little or no water repellency; some help with dry soils. No effect against food coloring, dyes and such.
  • Fluoroprotectors have fluorine as part of the molecule, thus the "fluoro" in their names. Fluoroprotectors are the most durable protectors, that is how long they last on the fabric or carpet. They protect against water, oil and dry soil better than any other group of protectors. But, they are not all the same. There are trade offs. Some offer more protection against water, others offer excellent protection against oils and grease (Advanced protector with Teflon is the best), others add acid dye resistors that repel the dyes found in most food coloring as well as many naturally occuring dyes and the dyes used for rugs and some other items made with natural fibers.
  • Green protectors are polymers that help against water, oils and dry soils. The protection level is not as good as fluoroprotectors. To be green, they must break down faster than fluoroprotectors. Thus they are not as durable. Depending upon traffic levels and how often the carpet is vacuum, they may be worn off in a month or two. Lasting 3 to 6 months in residential setting is common.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
North Carolina
www.shopcleansource.com
Real Name
Amy Barnes
Business Location
United States
The new protectors are based on a shorter carbon chain polymer known as C6. These do not accumulate in the body and so do not build up. If they somehow get into a person's digest tract, they are eliminated. I still would not advise consuming protector.

There are accounts about Teflon frying pans producing toxic gasses when heated above 1400 F. That means a full-on fire! If your frying pan has reached 1400 F, then you have more urgent things to worry about than what gas it is giving off. Get out of the house!

I love your humor, Scott. So subtle and yet so drop-dead funny!

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
CORRECTION - from my post above "Silicon - great oil resistance; little or no water repellency; some help with dry soils. No effect against food coloring, dyes and such."

I stated that backwards of what I meant. Again, I need more sleep. It should say that silicon offers protection against water-based stains but little or nor protection against oils and grease.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
CORRECTION - from my post above "Silicon - great oil resistance; little or no water repellency; some help with dry soils. No effect against food coloring, dyes and such."

I stated that backwards of what I meant. Again, I need more sleep. It should say that silicon offers protection against water-based stains but little or nor protection against oils and grease.
you are correctamundo !!!

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
The issues with the older polymers were with longer chains known as C8 for the 8 carbon atoms in each chain. They did collect in the body. So, C8 polymers could accumulate in the body over time. This was potentially a health issues, since the long term effects were unknown. They were never shown to cause cancer, but potentially they could have adverse health effects.

Some organizations had their own agendas for spreading news and some fake news about this.

PFOA and PFOS were steps in the manufacturing of protectors. These were getting into the drinking water supply near the manufacturing plants. They were able to cause cancer. Under pressure from the US EPA, the manufacturers agreed to stop making these products. They did continue to sell protectors that had already been made.

At least one major manufacturer stopped making fabric protector for a few years while they figured out a new method. But all they current manufacturers do have methods that do not involve PFOS and PFOA and these products getting into ground water.

All the available research shows that C6 polymers do not harm people, plants nor the environment.

Bridgepoint was the first big seller of protector to stop using C8. None of our products have had C8 polymers for many years.

Teflon is a brand name that is used on many things. For example the non-stick coating on frying pans, but that is a different product from Advanced Carpet Protector with Teflon.

There are accounts about Teflon frying pans producing toxic gasses when heated above 1400 F. That means a full-on fire! If your frying pan has reached 1400 F, then you have more urgent things to worry about than what gas it is giving off. Get out of the house! None of those stories have anything to do with carpet protector.

Any protector should not be inhaled. You do not want a coating on your lung tissue. Take steps to apply properly so that you are spraying larger droplets at the proper pressure to assure the protector is getting on the carpet and not hanging around as droplets in the air that can be inhaled. Wearing a respirator is a good idea. Don't have other people, especially children, nor pets in the area until the protector has dried.

Properly used, protectors keep the carpet cleaner longer. They assure that more soils, pollutants and contaminates are removed each time the carpet is vacuumed. That is healthy for people and their environment.
So what is your best protectant that you would recommend ?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
So what is your best protectant that you would recommend ?
That depends on what you are trying to protect and from what.

Best protector nylon because it protects against acid dyes and other soils - Maxim Advanced. This is also pretty good on wool for those who want to have fewer products.

Best protector for wool. It has a double dose of protection against acid dyes because wool is so absorbent and stains easily, plus wool rugs can be high value and need the best protection against staining. Maxim for Wool.

Best protection for fibers that are oleophilic (oil-loving, including polyester, triexta and olefin) - Advanced with Teflon because it offers the greatest protection against oils and grease and adheres to these fibers better.

Encapuguard Green is the best for the environment.

Scotchgard is good balance for protection against dry soils, water and oil, but not the best at any of those. No protection against acid dyes. Probably easier to sell because of the name recognition.

Nimblybimbly

Aug 10, 2017
Real Name
Nathan Paul
There are 4 broad categories of protectors in use. Some were more popular in the past, but are still occasionally used today. There are also 4 thongs that carpets typically need to be protected against.
  • protection against water-based spills
  • protection from oily and greasy spills and stains
  • protection against dry soil. Dry gritty soil is one of the worst things for carpet life. It scratches, abrades and even cuts some fibers.
  • Protection against dyes and food coloring. The thing most home-owners worry about; kids spilling drinks or someone spilling an sports / energy drink.

• Colloidal silica is basically polished playground sand. The idea is to fill and abrasions and scratches in carpet fibers with the small particles of sand suspended in water-based solution. Cost is under 1 cent per sq. ft. Great if you want to bid for protecting a carpet based on only price. But does not help much.
  • Silicon - great oil resistance; little or no water repellency; some help with dry soils. No effect against food coloring, dyes and such.
  • Fluoroprotectors have fluorine as part of the molecule, thus the "fluoro" in their names. Fluoroprotectors are the most durable protectors, that is how long they last on the fabric or carpet. They protect against water, oil and dry soil better than any other group of protectors. But, they are not all the same. There are trade offs. Some offer more protection against water, others offer excellent protection against oils and grease (Advanced protector with Teflon is the best), others add acid dye resistors that repel the dyes found in most food coloring as well as many naturally occuring dyes and the dyes used for rugs and some other items made with natural fibers.
  • Green protectors are polymers that help against water, oils and dry soils. The protection level is not as good as fluoroprotectors. To be green, they must break down faster than fluoroprotectors. Thus they are not as durable. Depending upon traffic levels and how often the carpet is vacuum, they may be worn off in a month or two. Lasting 3 to 6 months in residential setting is common.
Is this all off the top of your head or did you reference material? Did you happen to study chemistry? This is a genuine question, not meant to sound sarcastic or rude. Your knowledge is impressive.

Nimblybimbly

Aug 10, 2017
Real Name
Nathan Paul
Can anyone recommend a pump up sprayer for Scotchgard? I see a special tip is required, I don't want to be inhaling airdroplets

Mar 20, 2018
Real Name
Leonard Fernald
Can anyone recommend a pump up sprayer for Scotchgard? I see a special tip is required, I don't want to be inhaling airdroplets
Hi Nimblybimbly,
Can I suggest what you don't want to inhale on your air droplets? It is a carpet & upholstery cleaning that also serves an air duct cleaning, I just want to help a little bit about.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
North Carolina
www.shopcleansource.com
Real Name
Amy Barnes
Business Location
United States
Is this all off the top of your head or did you reference material? Did you happen to study chemistry? This is a genuine question, not meant to sound sarcastic or rude. Your knowledge is impressive.
@Scott W is one of the most incredibly valuable resources here, IMHO, and between him and @Tom Forsythe there is virtually NO chemical question that cannot be answered.

They know their stuff, they've been intimately involved in this industry for decades, and if by some crazy turn of fate they don't have an answer, they know a dozen people who do.