Diy Waste Tank

Scottie X

Jun 2, 2018
Real Name
Scott Fox
Thanks in advance. Lots of valueable information on these forums. I'm looking for low cost ideas for a diy waste tank. I'm planning running 4 3stage vac motors. Several guys on here have mentioned using a small waste tank with an auto pump out to a poly drum. With this setup I wonder if I'd run into sucking water into the vacs with that much suction and such a small tank? (20 to 30 gallon). Someone posted an idea about using a 22 gallon sump pump basin from homedepot. Also I know that a metal drum will buckle on its own, but I wonder if I was to weld brace supports inside/outside the drum if that would be sufficient. Anyone have experience with this idea?

Allred

Dec 10, 2017
Real Name
Erich Allred
poly drum will collapse. The sump pump basin will work if running motors in parallel not in series. Not enough lift to be effective in parallel. Metal drums rust out to quick and it doesn't matter about bracing if the drum caves it will warp the seal of the lid. Stay away from making it out of wood even if you can make it water proof. Fire hazard, weakens over time, can't handle real vacuum long term. I could show you a pic of the one I just built but I am too embarrassed even though it works. If you can't show up to a job and feel good about keeping your doors open and somebody seeing what clap trap operation you are running no matter what your results are you are not going to feel good about it or yourself. Very best and cheapest thing you can do in my opinion after many failed attempts is get a used namco portable and mod it like Jim Davisson. You will be money and time ahead. Good luck.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
You can find yourself an old Bane Clene extractor on ebay. It has a good tank on it. Can canabalize it for your needs.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Scottie X

Jun 2, 2018
Real Name
Scott Fox
poly drum will collapse. The sump pump basin will work if running motors in parallel not in series. Not enough lift to be effective in parallel. Metal drums rust out to quick and it doesn't matter about bracing if the drum caves it will warp the seal of the lid. Stay away from making it out of wood even if you can make it water proof. Fire hazard, weakens over time, can't handle real vacuum long term. I could show you a pic of the one I just built but I am too embarrassed even though it works. If you can't show up to a job and feel good about keeping your doors open and somebody seeing what clap trap operation you are running no matter what your results are you are not going to feel good about it or yourself. Very best and cheapest thing you can do in my opinion after many failed attempts is get a used namco portable and mod it like Jim Davisson. You will be money and time ahead. Good luck.
I appreciate the reply. Like everyone, I get overwhelmed with the possibilities. I currently have a low budget, having to piece together something as I go. I'd love to build my own full unit if I could find a decent plan. Modding a portable isn't a bad idea either if I could find something decent for about 1000. Honestly I'd still consider myself a noob, but I have decent mechanical knowledge. I've read the threads on diy etm, I see some decent possibilities, obviously a giant gas TM would be great but I'm having to boot strap this so I'm left with diy.

Reactions: Common janitor

Scottie X

Jun 2, 2018
Real Name
Scott Fox
I made one from a 30gal compressor tank.

Ill have to search for pics of building it. There here in tmf. The phone my pics are on burned out.
That's nice. I'm curious about the inside. How is it setup with the input/output since it's not very big diameter?did you put a partition or something? I'd love to see a few more pics

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
That's nice. I'm curious about the inside. How is it setup with the input/output since it's not very big diameter?did you put a partition or something? I'd love to see a few more pics
That one was short lived. It didnt fail just didnt work out for me. I tried finding pics but couldnt. I used 2” elbows steel. 2 on top one in and one out. I holesawed and welded. One on bottom for dump.
I did find this pic where i got the idea. This one is more creative.

Another member here made a booster with an aluminum air tank from harbor freight. Was only 6 gallon maybe that will work for you. He sawed out an end and used a port hole on it so it could be accessed.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Not to discourage you, Have you looked at Mytees roto molded T-80R waste tank?

...On second thought I just realized the cost went up on this

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
There's as many ways to do it as there are ways to clean carpets and no way is right for everyone. I put 2 LX's in series in it, a custom no clog filter, two pressure fed 220 psi pumps in parallel with chemical injection and an apo. 2 15 amp circuits runs everything. Each upgrade was done in phases, it's best to tweak one thing at a time. Setup is quick for a portable and cleaning speed and results are equal to a TM (great vacuum, high flow, low heat). If you find a good shell that lends itself to good ventilation, the rest is simply minor fabrication. The Scooter shell was ideal for what I did. A Namco beast would be even better.

Scottie X

Jun 2, 2018
Real Name
Scott Fox
There's as many ways to do it as there are ways to clean carpets and no way is right for everyone. I put 2 LX's in series in it, a custom no clog filter, two pressure fed 220 psi pumps in parallel with chemical injection and an apo. 2 15 amp circuits runs everything. Each upgrade was done in phases, it's best to tweak one thing at a time. Setup is quick for a portable and cleaning speed and results are equal to a TM (great vacuum, high flow, low heat). If you find a good shell that lends itself to good ventilation, the rest is simply minor fabrication. The Scooter shell was ideal for what I did. A Namco beast would be even better.
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye out for something I can modify

Scottie X

Jun 2, 2018
Real Name
Scott Fox
I found a cross american xps/upgraded to jaguar with a mytee heater, hoses and wand for about a grand in working order. Could I ask your opinion on this? To me it sounds like a good deal and upgradable. Anything I should be hesitant about?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
It really depends on how you are going to use it. I have to climb stairs so the Namco shell is ideal for this. My machine is under 100 lbs which is great for loading. If you are going to to keep it in the van all the time, bulkier portables are good for that type of use.

The 8.4's in parallel are not equal to the LX's in series, for lift or longer hose runs. They are 2 different animals. 8.4's in series for shorter hose runs are totally fine. Opinions vary on the above statements, take the above FWIW.

Scottie X

Jun 2, 2018
Real Name
Scott Fox
It really depends on how you are going to use it. I have to climb stairs so the Namco shell is ideal for this. My machine is under 100 lbs which is great for loading. If you are going to to keep it in the van all the time, bulkier portables are good for that type of use.

The 8.4's in parallel are not equal to the LX's in series, for lift or longer hose runs. They are 2 different animals. 8.4's in series for shorter hose runs are totally fine. Opinions vary on the above statements, take the above FWIW.
Thanks for the reply. I'm fine with it staying in the van and mostly residential. And I'm fine with upgrading the vac motors or anything else as needed. It says it has 500 psi, APO, 2 6.6 vac. I figured I'd ask for advice before pulling the trigger to make sure it's something I can evolve into a good etm

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Sounds like a good fit for you. Upgrade to LX's in series, if it has dual standpipes tie the series motors into both! You will have 150' of reach without a need for a booster. For $1500 you should have a great setup, add a #3 little giant down the line and you will have a very capable unit that can run off a 7000 watt generator at ~1/2 gph burn. Super efficient imo.

Reactions: Scottie X

Scottie X

Jun 2, 2018
Real Name
Scott Fox
Sounds like a good fit for you. Upgrade to LX's in series, if it has dual standpipes tie the series motors into both! You will have 150' of reach without a need for a booster. For $1500 you should have a great setup, add a #3 little giant down the line and you will have a very capable unit that can run off a 7000 watt generator at ~1/2 gph burn. Super efficient imo.
Jim I lost the bid on the American recoil however I found kleenrite 508 hx for 500 bucks. I don't know much about them but it seems like something I can work with. I don't know of it has APO but if not I'll add that and hopefully some lx vacs like you recommended. Thanks for your input

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Jim I lost the bid on the American recoil however I found kleenrite 508 hx for 500 bucks. I don't know much about them but it seems like something I can work with. I don't know of it has APO but if not I'll add that and hopefully some lx vacs like you recommended. Thanks for your input
Stick to machines with a cabinet under them. Try and stay away from ones that mould tanks around the components. They are harder to retrofit or modify down the road. That one Jim has is good example. Components have their own cabinet.