Dirty and thin wool runner- how would you clean it?

Jan 3, 2016
Real Name
Evan
I am thinking of misting on a wool safe fine fabric pre spray, then using a hand bonnet on the edges, and rinsing with the saphire upholstery hand tool. Do you think this is best? I fear of overwetting otherwise. How would you tackle this?

Many thanks!

20200708_104643.jpg

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
The most important part in cleaning this is

Check the backing , is it Jute?

if so use the least amount of water or encap (preferred).
if synthetic then your idea is not bad. just dont be too aggressive with bonnet
I have cleaned these types of wool runners without any issues
use a wool certified or at least Ph balance prespray but NO ENZYMES!, gently agitate and rinse With low temperature, do plenty of dry strokes and have a clean terry cloth towel to wipe up any water. Give the customer drying instructions. I like to clean wool with low temperature and low PSI usually 200 psi, rinses best and leaves least amount of moisture.

Reactions: Evan Papageorge
Jan 3, 2016
Real Name
Evan
The most important part in cleaning this is

Check the backing , is it Jute?

if so use the least amount of water or encap (preferred).
if synthetic then your idea is not bad. just dont be too aggressive with bonnet
I have cleaned these types of wool runners without any issues
use a wool certified or at least Ph balance prespray but NO ENZYMES!, gently agitate and rinse With low temperature, do plenty of dry strokes and have a clean terry cloth towel to wipe up any water. Give the customer drying instructions. I like to clean wool with low temperature and low PSI usually 200 psi, rinses best and leaves least amount of moisture.

Thanks so much for your suggestion! I'm not sure if the backing is jute but either way I'm going to use minimal water.. either one earth prespray with cold water or peroxicap with warm water. And extract at 200psi as you suggested. We'll see how it goes!

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Thanks so much for your suggestion! I'm not sure if the backing is jute but either way I'm going to use minimal water.. either one earth prespray with cold water or peroxicap with warm water. And extract at 200psi as you suggested. We'll see how it goes!

technically you should Not use a oxidizer on wool, peroxide such from Hydrogen peroxide is very harmful, I am not sure if you have ever seen teenage girls use it on their hair but I have seen it, It bleaches the hair and makes it dry, fray and dingy, kills the natural shine .

DO NOT Use it on wool. You might get away with using A very mild oxidizer, But I as a rule of thumb I do not recommend it,and especially No heat, that will accelerate it.Even though I know which one would be ok or safe I wont mention it just to prevent misguiding someone.

Reactions: Evan Papageorge
Jan 3, 2016
Real Name
Evan
Thank you for your suggestion! The peroxicap is labeled wool safe but I havent cleaned immense amounts of wool with it so yet to have a problem. But, I would prefer to air on the side of caution and will take your advice! Many thanks!

Latest posts