Difference between 33 blower and 45

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

yeshuaisiam

Sep 13, 2011
Real Name
Christian
Business Location
United States
Still learning the ropes, and I appreciate all the help. This is just a curiosity question.

There are a slew of 13-16 HP units that sport a 33 blower.
(At least better than a portable right?)

Anyway, they often come up much cheaper than some of the units with a 45 blower with 20HP plus.

Where I am getting confused is this (may sound silly). I have a Go-Kart with a 6.5 Horsepower engine. It is incredibly powerful and will take my fat butt at 225 pounds to 30 miles per hour. Of course, it has a clutch but whatever. The speed is there and takes me through gravel, over rocks, and up hills.

So when I look at carpet, I think "Okay this unit has a 16HP Lifan (or 13hp Honda) engine" how in the world could this not be insane power when focused into a small wand and heat when an engine less than half the size can drive my rear end all over the place?

Is there a world of difference between 33 blowers, 36 blowers, 45, and 47?
I mean I'm sure there is, but would love an analogy of what its like also with the HP.

The thing is I'm paying cash, so trying to get the best bang for my buck without getting into the "mine is bigger than yours fight". Just want a good unit that cleans general carpet (trashed with rotovac) fairly quickly.

Still considering a used Prochem 405. Considering Amtex. Cobb is 25 minutes from my driveway (I take it people are happy with Cobb?)

So anyway, right now I'm in comparison with engine size, blowers, heat, etc.

mr.cleansalot

Jun 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Real Name
fisher james
Business Location
United States
I started with a prochem with a 33 blower it worked just fine on small runs up to 150 feet. If you can get a good deal on one i would go with it. If its a h.x. system it wont get that hot. I now have the el diablo with a 45 blower and its alot more suction also alot more heat.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I have used machines with everything from a 16HP & 33 blower (what I am using right now) up to a machine with a 49HP engine and a 59 blower. Which machine you need will depend a lot on what you will be using it for.

A 33, 36, 45, and 47 blower work fine for running one wand. If you can afford a machine with a 45 or 47 blower then that is the way I would go. The Prochem 405 is a good machine.

If you will be doing large commercial jobs where extra long hose runs will be used on a regular basis (250+ feet of hose), or if you want to be able to run 2 wands off of one machine then get a machine with a 56 or 59 blower.

yeshuaisiam

Sep 13, 2011
Real Name
Christian
Business Location
United States
Would a 33 blower on 16hp benefit from a pre-heater? Can you divert away from th HX system to more power?
Thanks

leuj20

May 18, 2009
Real Name
Luis
Business Location
United States
Amtex has some good machinesand with excellent customer service, Ben will take your cal and go step by step with you just check his channel on youtube, no ther manufacturer does what amtex does.

As far as machines you can get by with a 33 blower the 45 would be better and if is just you I dont see the point you can just buy or rebuild a good portable for commercial and put the rest of the money in the bank, me personally I hate running hoses over 250feet and I am not a big fan of dual wand either.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Mechanical things are not my specialty, but this has been my experience. When using a 13 or 16 HP engine and a 33 vacuum blower, it is almost always being used at the top of it performance abilities. The 24 HP machine with a 45 or 47 blower is not always under that stress. The bigger machines just seem to last longer because they don't get worn out as quickly.

henryHalliday

Oct 9, 2010
England
Real Name
henry halliday
Business Location
United States
Your go kart engine is creating forward thrust with little resistance just like a 13hp would turn a 45blower without any hose,wand carpet interface,

you need the extra hp with a blower to overcome the restance created by The Hgs created when the wand touches the carpet....... a bit like driving your go kart with 1 foot on the gas creating thrust but your other foot on the brakes creating resistance. When you restrict the airflow to the blower it has to work harder so needs more horsepower to do the job

Make sense?

yeshuaisiam

Sep 13, 2011
Real Name
Christian
Business Location
United States
Your go kart engine is creating forward thrust with little resistance just like a 13hp would turn a 45blower without any hose,wand carpet interface,

you need the extra hp with a blower to overcome the restance created by The Hgs created when the wand touches the carpet....... a bit like driving your go kart with 1 foot on the gas creating thrust but your other foot on the brakes creating resistance. When you restrict the airflow to the blower it has to work harder so needs more horsepower to do the job

Make sense?
yes, that makes sense. Thanks!

Jan Sullins

Sep 17, 2008
Ok.City Oklahoma
Real Name
Jan Sullins
In the 1990s I remember that most 33 roots or 3M sutorbilts had 16HP engines that easily
turned the bower a triplex pump . Some like my Prochem Cubxl used heat exchangers . It
had an optional blower heatexhanger so that mine easily maintained above 170 degrees. The engine was set at 3250 rpms on fast idle as I remember to get a little high tempatures. Hydramaster had the one
machine that had the same engine but turning the 3L bloweer also known as a 3.5 blower which
is the same as the 36 roots. It had a lot more vacuum than mine for instance. But it was not nearly hot enough. Doing good to get 150 degrees. Later they came out with a kit to increase the heat of the unit. I also owned a Prochem Legend . In those days it had a 18HP kohler with
a 3L blower 12HG 270 cfms. Much more vacuum than the Cub and since it also used a catylitic converter heatexchanger it provided an adustable up to 210 degrees.
It seems that these days they have come so far in the heatexhanger technology that usually
heat is not a problem.
Now days not many companies are into the small 33s or 3Ms. For good reason the 36s and 3L sutorbitles have about 80% more cfms. They cleaned at a high level of HGs while providing
plenty of cfms. Really the 45s and 4Ms were not all that much more productive that the 36 or 3L. But usually manufacturers put quite a bigger engines with them. Like 20 HP and I had one White Magic slide in which had a 24HP Onan engine with a 45 Roots. The engine only ran at about 2450 rpms . Being belt driven the blower was turning close to 3000 rpms which is ideal for the 45.

Jan

May 9, 2013
Southeast Houston
spotlessflooring.com
Real Name
Daniel Provorse
Business Location
United States
I currently run a 33 blower with a 15hp kohler. Its about 6-8 years old I think. It has just over 3k hours. It doesn't produce a TON of heat but it gets hot enough for good cleaning. I wish I had more heat because then I could up my flow. You have to have good heat to use good flow and keep the temp up.

As far as the vacuum suction goes, I run it like a dog at 3400 rpms. It works great for up to 150ft but I hate going over 125.

I'm considering trying to upgrade it to a 18hp with a 36 blower. I'm not so sure its worth it. I can say that if your just getting into this type of work, a 33 will serve you well.

Good thread

Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
Increased space and power for cfm and lift. Ports are bigger as you go up in blower size. water pump to consider too. it takes a significant amount of horse power to run it as well. A 16 may very well run a #4 but you would need another engine for the water pump. I seen a guy do this before . He used 2 predator engines from harbor freight. a 16 hp and a 9hp I believe. I don't remember . He made 2 small skids from metal. You would be good to get the 405 and impress with great dry times and also be able to clean a large building if you get one.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Increased space and power for cfm and lift. Ports are bigger as you go up in blower size. water pump to consider too. it takes a significant amount of horse power to run it as well. A 16 may very well run a #4 but you would need another engine for the water pump. I seen a guy do this before . He used 2 predator engines from harbor freight. a 16 hp and a 9hp I believe. I don't remember . He made 2 small skids from metal. You would be good to get the 405 and impress with great dry times and also be able to clean a large building if you get one.
Water pump needs about 1 HP per 500 psi used.

Jan Sullins

Sep 17, 2008
Ok.City Oklahoma
Real Name
Jan Sullins
I currently run a 33 blower with a 15hp kohler. Its about 6-8 years old I think. It has just over 3k hours. It doesn't produce a TON of heat but it gets hot enough for good cleaning. I wish I had more heat because then I could up my flow. You have to have good heat to use good flow and keep the temp up.

As far as the vacuum suction goes, I run it like a dog at 3400 rpms. It works great for up to 150ft but I hate going over 125.

I'm considering trying to upgrade it to a 18hp with a 36 blower. I'm not so sure its worth it. I can say that if your just getting into this type of work, a 33 will serve you well.

Good thread
When its time for you to upgrade then I think going with a 36 blower would be the best upgrade for the money. Of course if your truckmount with the 15HP and 33 Roots blower is working well for your business then I would run it until it becomes basically worn out. Moving up to a 18-20HP truckmount is actually a big difference in my experience. With heat exchangers the bigger engine working harder turning the bigger 36 blower will give you more heat. Your vacuum will increase by 80% as far as cfms and air flow. I have put 300 feet on the first truckmount I had with a 3L Sutorbilt which is the same as a Roots 36. Before that I had a 16HP 3M blower. The difference was a lot. I now have a EZ truckmount with a 20HP Kohler and a 3L Sutorbilt blower with heatexchangers and I got it for a great price . It performs better than any of my past truckmounts with 36/3L blowers. When you do upgrade give Nick Nellos a call. He will give you more for your money . The quaily of his work is awesome in my opinion.

May 9, 2013
Southeast Houston
spotlessflooring.com
Real Name
Daniel Provorse
Business Location
United States
Of all the TM designs Ive seen, I like the Dominator by Accelerated TM more than any other. The overall design seems better to me.

I was looking at their 20/36 but I dont have the dough yet and my lil 33 is working well for me. I have a small leak from the engine oil but its not slowing me down any.

Id love to get a heat and air upgrade but cleaning carpet is not the whole business.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Of all the TM designs Ive seen, I like the Dominator by Accelerated TM more than any other. The overall design seems better to me.

I was looking at their 20/36 but I dont have the dough yet and my lil 33 is working well for me. I have a small leak from the engine oil but its not slowing me down any.

Id love to get a heat and air upgrade but cleaning carpet is not the whole business.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
My little 33 blower surprised the heck out of me today as it sucked a towel that was hanging in my back pocket, it made it 150" to my inline filter before I did :cool:

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
I'm not a cleaner. But I am a service tech and I have been around and talked to the new guys like you just getting started and seen salesman talk people into larger units than they could afford.
Know think about this, do you have a customer client base?
What can you afford to pay for if you decide carpet cleaning isn't what you thought it was going to be.
If you listen to most of these other guys there answering your questions. But their also telling you something else they've had a smaller blower unit. As they grew their business they got bigger newer units. If the 405 has a good price and you have a 3/4 ton van ok maybe. But for residential most can be done with 150 ft of hose smaller 33,36 blower should work. Heat is another thing. Just something to think about. Listen to were these guys came from not where they are now.

lmullica

Dec 27, 2009
Johnston, Iowa
www.mullicacarpetcare.com
Real Name
Larry Mullica
Business Location
United States
I've been watching this thread and have a questions for the experts. What size are the ports on a 3L blower? I have a Cub XL with a 3M and was thinking of upgrading the blower and motor. I can get a 22 hp engine for cheap and thought about trying to find a bigger blower for it. Some are saying the change from 3M to 3L blower is noticeable. Thoughts?