Did i over charge on this estimate?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
Does this happen to anyone else ?

I did an estimate last week for tile and grout cleaning plus color sealing. The grout was regrouted and was coming up in alot of different areas. I charged $3.50 a sq ft, there was 746 sq of tile. I was going to clean , level out the the missing regout with the old grout then color seal. The reason i ask is he seemed like he wanted this done right away because hes selling the house and i never heard back from him. I sent an estimate by email and followed up with a text a week later asking if he received the estimate. He does fire damage cleaning for a living. Im sure his prices are not cheep. Its not the first time someone went mute on me after getting an estimate. Are they in price shock? Are they pissed off? I really dont know how to read this.
2600 for that is too much for most people to pay, and you could have sold it for 2 bucks a foot and got it on the spot... I have found you have to pick your spots for the 3.50 a foot estimates
I cant figure out how to post pics on here anymore but this guys has a huge brick house sitting on at least an acre of land with a big pool and pool house. In Jersey thats over a million dollars for that house in that area. You can afford to pay for my 3.50 a foot tile job.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I cant figure out how to post pics on here anymore but this guys has a huge brick house sitting on at least an acre of land with a big pool and pool house. In Jersey thats over a million dollars for that house in that area. You can afford to pay for my 3.50 a foot tile job.
I hear you bro, but you know how it is the people who have money sometimes are the cheapest

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
Just because he has a nice house and can afford it doesn't mean he will do it.

With a $2600 expense to sell a house you have to weigh the cost against the return.

Will a $2600 improvement add $2600 to the value? Likely not.
Will a $2600 improvement sell the house quicker? Maybe.

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase

With a $2600 expense to sell a house you have to weigh the cost against the return.

All that is true, but when you know someone took the time to drive almost an hour to your house spending another hour doing an estimate and another hour driving back. You should give them the common courtesy they deserve and get back to them with an answer one way or another.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond

My batting average is 100% of my home seller customers sell the house the day it's listed for full asking price.
And yes I take full credit for that
First impressions count.
I've even talked them out of doing more than necessary.
I did a job where we re-grouted the shower, repaired grout on the bathroom floors, deep cleaned and the buyer said that the first thing they were going to do was a full tearout and remodel.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond

All that is true, but when you know someone took the time to drive almost an hour to your house spending another hour doing an estimate and another hour driving back. You should give them the common courtesy they deserve and get back to them with an answer one way or another.
No one cares brother. I've seriously considered charging a consultation fee.

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
I did a job where we re-grouted the shower, repaired grout on the bathroom floors, deep cleaned and the buyer said that the first thing they were going to do was a full tearout and remodel.
Yes that happens a lot especially with carpeting.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I think if I were in a similar position of having driven a while and taken time to look at the scope of work, I would have also taken the time to give the price face to face and done whatever it took to secure the business there and then. Had this been done, you would have been able to negotiate and come to a deal, or not. Either way you might have had your answer before you left the property

BonnetPro

Oct 1, 2009
Pa
www.bonnetpro.com
Real Name
John Klucznik
Business Location
United States
Maybe lesson learned when dealing with a home seller. I agree with the post that said they are not looking to have it right but make it look good so it sells.