Did I make a mistake? Lol | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Did I make a mistake? Lol

Ultra359

Jun 27, 2019
Real Name
S. Hatfield
New member here. I confess I don’t know anything, zero, zilch about carpet cleaning or carpet cleaning machines so what did I do, I bought a truck mount.
Good thinking huh! Lol.
It’s s an ‘05 Chevy express 3500 with 114k and a cds 4.8 overdrive with the salsa with 2000hrs.
Been in a light accident but only cosmetic and I have it back together. Runs and drives fine. Came with a wand , electric reel, Prochem upholstery handle, all the hoses/lines , corner guards and about 20 -1 gal containers of assorted chemicals.
I haven’t tried turning on the unit on as I been watching YouTube videos on how to .
I would like to possibly learn to how to clean carpets for just Saturday jobs with my son ( I have a full time job which I’m not leaving).
My question is, am I in over my head and should I just sell it , or go for it. What is it worth if everything works?
I payed next to nothing for it so that’s why I’m thinking about just Saturday work to try it.
Thanks and what are your thoughts?

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
It would be a good part time gig if thats what you want, might look at robs ride along video and some if his online stuff be easy to do online vs taking time off the regular job to go to classes

Reactions: TLC CARPET CLEANING

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
New member here. I confess I don’t know anything, zero, zilch about carpet cleaning or carpet cleaning machines so what did I do, I bought a truck mount.
Good thinking huh! Lol.
It’s s an ‘05 Chevy express 3500 with 114k and a cds 4.8 overdrive with the salsa with 2000hrs.
Been in a light accident but only cosmetic and I have it back together. Runs and drives fine. Came with a wand , electric reel, Prochem upholstery handle, all the hoses/lines , corner guards and about 20 -1 gal containers of assorted chemicals.
I haven’t tried turning on the unit on as I been watching YouTube videos on how to .
I would like to possibly learn to how to clean carpets for just Saturday jobs with my son ( I have a full time job which I’m not leaving).
My question is, am I in over my head and should I just sell it , or go for it. What is it worth if everything works?
I payed next to nothing for it so that’s why I’m thinking about just Saturday work to try it.
Thanks and what are your thoughts?
How much is next to nothing?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Hellava machine! Run the Dickens out of it and have fun on the weekend with your boy. There's a couple CDS guys here that will walk you through any minor glitches.

Ultra359

Jun 27, 2019
Real Name
S. Hatfield
Thanks again everyone, I’m sure I’ll be asking a million questions, lol. Out of curiosity sake and without seeing it
What would you pay , van is in good shape,( besides the $375 I spent on front end body parts) 4.8L, has newer tires and the cds, also the equipment I listed above.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
Thanks again everyone, I’m sure I’ll be asking a million questions, lol. Out of curiosity sake and without seeing it
What would you pay , van is in good shape,( besides the $375 I spent on front end body parts) 4.8L, has newer tires and the cds, also the equipment I listed above.

I have that same machine. Did the person you bought from show you how to use it?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Junk all the hoses and start again. To dangerous to have them in a house.
Also there might be a hell of a lot more about cleaning carpets to know other than having a great machine. If fact damaging someone’s carpets with good intent might cost you more than the machine.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Yeah, I'd honestly only clean your own carpets and friends / family for awhile until you get comfortable.

I would not be hitting high end residential anytime soon.

Ultra359

Jun 27, 2019
Real Name
S. Hatfield
Ok thanks for the tips. I was thinking of taking it in to a service center and having them give it a once over for an evaluation.
Probably what I will do is start on my own carpet and then move on to family’s and see how it goes.

Reactions: Bob Savage

Ultra359

Jun 27, 2019
Real Name
S. Hatfield
Ok , I noticed the salsa exchanger lines have been bypassed so that’s telling me it leaks. Hooked up the water to the machine and turned it on , rpms went to 1k and slowly got to 1200 and stayed there. Temp got to about 140 on the gauge but had to shut it down as I noticed water running out from the heat exchangers.
Couldn’t tell where exactly its coming from so I’ll have to remove it and see. hopefully have it welded/repaired.
Can the salsa exchanger be repaired as well or will it just have to be replaced? Thanks

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
If you’re trying to sell the machine just say you’re trying to sell it.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Id yank the salsa heat exchanger get a diesel or propane burner and preheat going into the burner with your coolant heat exchanger. Unlimited heat as hit as you want it, problem solved

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
The coolant heat exchangers typically "make" coolant in the radiator when they leak. External leaks are just possibly loose fittings. Check carefully when running. Might be free99 to fix them.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I would spruce it ALL up a bit by sanding and painting the hose reels. Ditch the vac hose and get new if it won't clean up. Clean off the solution and fresh water hose and maybe also clean the van floor and paint that as best you can. General cleaning of the machine front and any other accessories. Detail the van interior.

Whether you keep it or no, you want it clean, operating properly and presentable.

Reactions: smart n kleen

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States