Did I just miss out on a chunk of money? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Did I just miss out on a chunk of money?

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Ok so here in PA we just had a bunch of rain really hard and it blew out some drain pipes causing lots of water to come in the neighborhood.

The neighbor next door just bought that house and he is flipping it. He was there painting today and I was at home and the rain started coming and the creek between our house was brimming over. I got basement under control with my little small engine pump and long story short let him borrow it as he didn't have one and his sump pump was no way close keeping up. He had like 2.5' of water in his basement with his newly installed furnace sitting in the water.

After I helped him get the pump setup and running me and the wife and kids went for a drive to check out the flood stuffs around town. That is when a massive light bulb went off in my head and I was like did I just miss out on an opportunity to earn some money?

Keep in mind I just am starting my cleaning business and my equipment is centered around the new Mytee air hog lx extractor. Ive heard guys say that we can get the water out for customers in a pinch just not drying it full on as a water damage restoration company might do. So this is where my wheels started turning..

But, then I was thinking that my auto pump out on the air hog (3.5gpm I think) would never keep up with the water the vacuums would suck in a basement with a couple feet of water in it- which means maybe I didn't miss out on a money making opportunity?

Anyone have any thoughts on this or tips on how I might be able to use my extractor in a scenario like this so I can be better prepared for next sudden circumstances would be very helpful.

Thank you guys in advance for anything worth sharing. I appreciate it.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Water damage restoration is a great opportunity. Your were a good neighbor to loan the pump. Your Mytee equipment would not be the equipment to tackle this with. Once you have the carpet cleaning company squared away, you can think about expansions and diversification. I would not think about it until you feel you have the carpet cleaning business operating the way you want. Splitting your attention by trying to run two businesses often means not enough attention to either one.

A chance to pitch a special opportunity for anyone who works in restoration or wants to get into it. A chance to spend a day with an adjuster who has over 30 years experience in property damage business. he will train on what it takes to get adjusters to send you business. Answer any questions you have.

Only twice this year. June 20th in Detroit and Nov 15th in Orlando. Owners and marketers will be coming in from around the country for those days of insider information. Contact either of the Interlink Supply locations for info.

Reactions: Smtwn janitorial

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Ok so here in PA we just had a bunch of rain really hard and it blew out some drain pipes causing lots of water to come in the neighborhood.

The neighbor next door just bought that house and he is flipping it. He was there painting today and I was at home and the rain started coming and the creek between our house was brimming over. I got basement under control with my little small engine pump and long story short let him borrow it as he didn't have one and his sump pump was no way close keeping up. He had like 2.5' of water in his basement with his newly installed furnace sitting in the water.

After I helped him get the pump setup and running me and the wife and kids went for a drive to check out the flood stuffs around town. That is when a massive light bulb went off in my head and I was like did I just miss out on an opportunity to earn some money?

Keep in mind I just am starting my cleaning business and my equipment is centered around the new Mytee air hog lx extractor. Ive heard guys say that we can get the water out for customers in a pinch just not drying it full on as a water damage restoration company might do. So this is where my wheels started turning..

But, then I was thinking that my auto pump out on the air hog (3.5gpm I think) would never keep up with the water the vacuums would suck in a basement with a couple feet of water in it- which means maybe I didn't miss out on a money making opportunity?

Anyone have any thoughts on this or tips on how I might be able to use my extractor in a scenario like this so I can be better prepared for next sudden circumstances would be very helpful.

Thank you guys in advance for anything worth sharing. I appreciate it.
Mytees Airhog APO works great! But in this case not enough GPM for flood issues. They do sell a Flood Hog however. But the airhog is designed to be a carpet extractor. It works so well I just ordered a second one.

Reactions: Scott W

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Mytees Airhog APO works great! But in this case not enough GPM for flood issues. They do sell a Flood Hog however. But the airhog is designed to be a carpet extractor. It works so well I just ordered a second one.
Yes they work very well. I did a job yesterday with 100' of hose and this newbie couldn't tell a difference from when I run less as in 50'. The wand was howling.

That flood hog is awesome but I think Scott is right that you need to get one business down before opening up different business channels.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Yes they work very well. I did a job yesterday with 100' of hose and this newbie couldn't tell a difference from when I run less as in 50'. The wand was howling.

That flood hog is awesome but I think Scott is right that you need to get one business down before opening up different business channels.
For sure.... however it’s good to have goals then keep those goals in mind for future equipment purchases. Many things we do cross over well.

Reactions: Wec and Select

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States

BTW, carpet cleaning is hard work! Definitely a challenge for me to get used to it and rise above it.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.