Descaling

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

S - A - R

Mar 6, 2018
Real Name
John McGrath
I was wondering I have 432 hours on my truckmount. The water line is all clogged with soapy residue. I don't know if it is from the rinse solution or not. How is the proper way to descale this.

The Magician

Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
Jimmy Nardella
What emulsifier a u using? That could be your problem..At the end of the day and every day shut off your chemical meter off and flush/ flush till it runs clear.I rarely have to descale and should be done around 500 hrs. Add the de=scale to your water box for around 1/2 hr. Then flush/flush Follow the directions on your de-scale bottle

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I was wondering I have 432 hours on my truckmount. The water line is all clogged with soapy residue. I don't know if it is from the rinse solution or not. How is the proper way to descale this.
It very likely is from the detergent you're using. Some detergents are not meant to be used in high heat truck mounts. Found that out the hard way. If it is your detergent it will look white and chalky and can accumulate in areas like the quick connect coming out of the machine, the solution lines, and in your jets and quick connects on whatever tool you're using at the time. Once I even had it solidify in the handle of my Hydroforce completely blocking it off. If I do use a detergent I make sure it's formulated for use in truck mounts or I use an acid rinse or soft water rinse only. That has eliminated all the above problems for many years now. Also, if you're not using a water softener you need to get one because that will greatly help hard water scale from building up.

If you've got a lot of build up I'd get a TM descaler. I put one full quart of Matrix Descaler in my water box. I turn my temp dial up to prevent losing it through the solenoid on the waste tank, but leave any diverter off. You don't want the machine getting too hot. You can recirculate for 15 or 20 minutes back to the water box, then hook up your solution hose and your tool and just run enough through and shut if off. Let it sit a while and flush it all out with fresh water. If you have a lot of build up in the lines it may take a while to get it all out. Sometimes I just use a whole gallon of vinegar to flush my machine out. I rarely have to descale with a water softener. I suggest either cutting the amount of detergent you're using in 1/2 or ceasing using it if you think that caused this problem. I also suggest NOT buying carpet cleaning detergents local.
http://www.jondon.com/matrix-truck-mount-descaler.html

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Many states have newer regulations dealing with dumping the waste water after descaling because it is highly acid and contains a lot of mineral residue. Consider having the descale done at a distributor's shop who will do it right, Interlink Supply, Aramsco or Jon-Don. You can buy descalers and do it yourself, but follow the directions carefully and be sure to neutralize your waste water.
Descaler - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=1676-5719

As Wand Wizard say, getting the right prespray and using soft water will greatly reduce or eliminate the problem with scale build-up. It will also make your chemicals work so much better and use less if you have a water softener.
Water Softener - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=AC39

May 31, 2018
Ohio
Real Name
Stephen Swabek
Business Location
United States
I use white vinegar and do it every 100hrs, I have hard water where I'm at so in have to do it more often.

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
I've used Prochems descaler and also Bridgepoints. Both are very good but as @Scott W mentioned above it's important to neutralize, that's why Bridgepoints is my new go to because of its 2 step process of descaling and neutralizing.

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
The good news is that you do not have to use hard water as it can be softened. I attached an article that explains what hard water does to cleaning. Also major truckmount manufacturers do not warrant parts damaged by hard water over 3 grains per gallon. Salt Lake has hard water ranging from 12 to 15 grains per gallon. See hard water map in article for the United States. https://cleanfax.com/carpet-care/water-quality-extraction-rinses/

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
It very likely is from the detergent you're using. Some detergents are not meant to be used in high heat truck mounts. Found that out the hard way. If it is your detergent it will look white and chalky and can accumulate in areas like the quick connect coming out of the machine, the solution lines, and in your jets and quick connects on whatever tool you're using at the time. Once I even had it solidify in the handle of my Hydroforce completely blocking it off. If I do use a detergent I make sure it's formulated for use in truck mounts or I use an acid rinse or soft water rinse only. That has eliminated all the above problems for many years now. Also, if you're not using a water softener you need to get one because that will greatly help hard water scale from building up.

If you've got a lot of build up I'd get a TM descaler. I put one full quart of Matrix Descaler in my water box. I turn my temp dial up to prevent losing it through the solenoid on the waste tank, but leave any diverter off. You don't want the machine getting too hot. You can recirculate for 15 or 20 minutes back to the water box, then hook up your solution hose and your tool and just run enough through and shut if off. Let it sit a while and flush it all out with fresh water. If you have a lot of build up in the lines it may take a while to get it all out. Sometimes I just use a whole gallon of vinegar to flush my machine out. I rarely have to descale with a water softener. I suggest either cutting the amount of detergent you're using in 1/2 or ceasing using it if you think that caused this problem. I also suggest NOT buying carpet cleaning detergents local.
http://www.jondon.com/matrix-truck-mount-descaler.html
Good tip about turning the heat up. I found that out the hard way last year. I also found that it's a good idea to mix the descaler up in a bucket 1st then dump it into your water box. This eliminates the possibility of dumping to much in at once and clogging up your water box with powder.

S - A - R

Mar 6, 2018
Real Name
John McGrath
We wanted to thank everyone for the helpful information you have given us. We really appreciated. We did have a quart of descaler and it did work. I had a Bane-Clene machine for 11 years and we never had a problem. So having a gas powered truck mount is all new. So thank you again for the feed back.

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
What emulsifier a u using? That could be your problem..At the end of the day and every day shut off your chemical meter off and flush/ flush till it runs clear.I rarely have to descale and should be done around 500 hrs. Add the de=scale to your water box for around 1/2 hr. Then flush/flush Follow the directions on your de-scale bottle
1/2 hour is too long to be running descaler. You can easily melt the seals inside the pump at that time frame. Descaler shouldn't run past 15 minutes. 20 minutes is even stretching it.