Deep scrub and Wax

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
I’m getting the idea no one will pay a decent price for stripping and waxing . Wondering what you guys are charging for deep scrub and waxing . Maybe I can offer this as an alternative and not get shot down .
Thanks .
All the Best , Ed

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I’m getting the idea no one will pay a decent price for stripping and waxing . Wondering what you guys are charging for deep scrub and waxing . Maybe I can offer this as an alternative and not get shot down .
Thanks .
All the Best , Ed
What do you charge for strip and wax?

I'll normally do scrub and wax for 25% to 50% of that I charge to strip and wax. depends on how bad the floor is.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Quoted .45 / sq.ft and got shot down . Hell , wax is $26 / gal and stripper is nearly $20 . Almost doesn’t pay to bother with it .
All the Best , Ed

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Quoted .45 / sq.ft and got shot down . Hell , wax is $26 / gal and stripper is nearly $20 . Almost doesn’t pay to bother with it .
All the Best , Ed
Commercial I normally get about .30 - .35 /ft. These are normally convenience stores with 1500 - 2500 sqft. Nicer places like an insurance office I can get about .40 - .50 /ft. But it can be a hard sell at those rates.

Its not really that bad, if you're using a flat mop to spread the wax and keeping the coats thin then a gallon of wax can cover up to 4,000 ft, just depends on the wax. I calculate it to be 3,000 feet average. A gallon of stripper can do 2,000 sq ft.

So on say a 2000 sq ft store, I want 4 coats of wax, I need about 2.5 gallons of wax and we'll say 2 gallons of stripper. You're at $105 in materials divided by 2,000 ft, you've got $0.05 a foot for material. Say you do it at $0.30 a foot, you're getting $600 for the job. $105 materials, and we'll say another $30 for gas to get to the job and wear and tear on equipment. That leaves $465, money in your pocket. Job that size can be done in 6 hours, thats $77.50 an hour.

Its not the highest paying job but its not as bad as it sounds.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Per room minimum of two rooms

Thunder865

Jun 15, 2018
Real Name
Thunder Warren
.65 sqft for something under 2,000 sqft. I’ll go as low as .45 if it’s 8,000 plus and very little to no furniture. There are guys that will definitely do it for less and others that charge more. You have to decide how bad you want the work.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
.65 sqft for something under 2,000 sqft. I’ll go as low as .45 if it’s 8,000 plus and very little to no furniture. There are guys that will definitely do it for less and others that charge more. You have to decide how bad you want the work.
You have to consider your area too. Some places won't support those prices due to lower economy or over flooded market.

Luky

Premium VIP
Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Commercial I normally get about .30 - .35 /ft. These are normally convenience stores with 1500 - 2500 sqft. Nicer places like an insurance office I can get about .40 - .50 /ft. But it can be a hard sell at those rates.

Its not really that bad, if you're using a flat mop to spread the wax and keeping the coats thin then a gallon of wax can cover up to 4,000 ft, just depends on the wax. I calculate it to be 3,000 feet average. A gallon of stripper can do 2,000 sq ft.

So on say a 2000 sq ft store, I want 4 coats of wax, I need about 2.5 gallons of wax and we'll say 2 gallons of stripper. You're at $105 in materials divided by 2,000 ft, you've got $0.05 a foot for material. Say you do it at $0.30 a foot, you're getting $600 for the job. $105 materials, and we'll say another $30 for gas to get to the job and wear and tear on equipment. That leaves $465, money in your pocket. Job that size can be done in 6 hours, thats $77.50 an hour.

Its not the highest paying job but its not as bad as it sounds.
It's apparent that you are very hard working man, I've said this already in the past. Now is the time for you to uphold slogan " Don't work hard, work smart" . I'm not lazy, but I've never touched any smooth surface, unless I walk behind some sort of equipment, hence I've never done stripping and waxing and I'm not planning to do this anytime soon. As we grow as a profesionals, we have tendency to pile up as many services as we can. Nothing wrong with that. On our journey to success we have to pick least messy one and least damaging to our temporary shell, our bodies. When I'm hearing about deteriorating discs, aching joints, it makes me think that stripping and waxing is one of the biggest contributors, obviously after swinging wand all day.
So Robert, stop running, walk steady and report $150, $200 an hour profits . I know that you have it in you.
Sorry for minor derail. I meant it well.....

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Thanks .
All the Best , Ed
Ed, I have run into this before, I simply explain that chems are high, the strippers also ruin the machines and your clothes, I hope you find someone in your price range but I have to stick to my prices or its just not worth all of the time and effort involved.
Ill walk in a heartbeat because once you go down that customer will never go back up..
hope this helps.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
I bid on a 3 year church account about 1400-1700 sq ft.
There is no wax just scrubb and wax .
I use a 20 NSS dual speed swing . I go with 2 coats of acrylic wax

Attachments

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
It's apparent that you are very hard working man, I've said this already in the past. Now is the time for you to uphold slogan " Don't work hard, work smart" . I'm not lazy, but I've never touched any smooth surface, unless I walk behind some sort of equipment, hence I've never done stripping and waxing and I'm not planning to do this anytime soon. As we grow as a profesionals, we have tendency to pile up as many services as we can. Nothing wrong with that. On our journey to success we have to pick least messy one and least damaging to our temporary shell, our bodies. When I'm hearing about deteriorating discs, aching joints, it makes me think that stripping and waxing is one of the biggest contributors, obviously after swinging wand all day.
So Robert, stop running, walk steady and report $150, $200 an hour profits . I know that you have it in you.
Sorry for minor derail. I meant it well.....
Once you get it down strip and wax isn't all that bad. Its not often I have to get on my hands and knees for this stuff anymore. The right equipment makes it easy work. $150 hour profits for strip and wax isn't realistic in my area. I managed $200 once, but that was a rare gem. I'm doing good hitting $75 an hour, most guys around here are happy to get $50. But its just once a year I have to do strip and wax. Most these accounts want at least a once a month scrub and buff and that=s where I make money. Monthly scrub and buff I can charge $150 and do it in 30 - 45 minutes.

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
Ed is right, many people don’t want to pay .50 to .60 cents per square foot. There’s a lot of time involved with laying down finish. I try to get around that same price, sometimes I will do it for .40, but no lower.

Jan 31, 2013
Real Name
joe solarino
My pricing also depends on the area to be stripped. If it's wide open I charge less, if it's a conveinence store with alot of shelfing that I need to hand scrub close to the shelfs because machine won't hit I charge more.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Our least price for stripping and waxing is $0.65 per sq foot. No volume discount. In my opinion your doing yourself a disfavour. That’s where you should be “cleaning up” (pun intended)
Besides just because it’s a larger area it won’t take any less product. Our minimum price per job regardless of size is $650.00. Even at that I’m considering bumping up to $700.
Your only as valuable as you believe yourself to be. We win many jobs from competition simply by explaining to the customer our value. It’s amazing to me how many contractors will bid on work without explaining to customers what there doing. The fact of the matter is customers have no idea the difference in floor finish. Weather there getting $30 a pail 16% solids finish with four coats or $138.00 a pail finish that is 33% solids and 6-8 coats. With 3000 rpm burnishing after last coat. This might be why my price is $600 higher than there other quotes. Like any kind of work an educated customer most often will pay for value. Don’t ever assume a Customer will be comparing apples to apples or that they know the difference.