Dark Stain Caused By Contractor Plastic Walkway - HELP | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Dark Stain Caused By Contractor Plastic Walkway - HELP

Andrew C

May 24, 2014
Richmond, VA
www.TrueSteamLLC.com
Real Name
Andrew Carr
I just left a customers house, they have a 20% wool, 80% nylon custom rug. They recently had renovations done and the contractor put a plastic film down to create the walkway over the rug. When the film was removed there was a obvious dark stain left behind where the plastic was (see pictures).

88DE7451-2FE1-4A1E-9BA5-C0D9ACE1C541.jpeg
Has anyone seen this before and what would be the best approach to removing the stain?

Thanks for any help.

Andrew C

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Happens all the time. The tacky adhesive film left behind transferred to the carpet. You clean it and you get the dirt off the glue. Only for it to return once again. Same plastic same story same problem. The plastic should be pulled from shelves never to be sold again. Going to have to treat it like tape adhesive only its lot bigger. May have to do dry cleaning methods with solvents. Good thing is its only on the very surface. Downside you dont know if you got it out till later after it dries and stops attracting dirt.
You can search here you will find lots of threads on this problem. Guys have tried all kinds of stuff. Me, im called when all has failed and it needs to be replaced. Contractor pays out of pocket with a lesson learned. Never to use that plastic ever again.
One thing ive never heard tried is steam. Steam and towel might take it off. Being careful to move with the grain sweep of the carpet. Might be worth a shot. Dries fast too. Can get a cheap harbor freight one with some distilled water. Might just melt off that invisible film and transfer it to a towel.

Reactions: Andrew C

Andrew C

May 24, 2014
Richmond, VA
www.TrueSteamLLC.com
Real Name
Andrew Carr
Happens all the time. The tacky adhesive film left behind transferred to the carpet. You clean it and you get the dirt off the glue. Only for it to return once again. Same plastic same story same problem. The plastic should be pulled from shelves never to be sold again. Going to have to treat it like tape adhesive only its lot bigger. May have to do dry cleaning methods with solvents. Good thing is its only on the very surface. Downside you dont know if you got it out till later after it dries and stops attracting dirt.
You can search here you will find lots of threads on this problem. Guys have tried all kinds of stuff. Me, im called when all has failed and it needs to be replaced. Contractor pays out of pocket with a lesson learned. Never to use that plastic ever again.
One thing ive never heard tried is steam. Steam and towel might take it off. Being careful to move with the grain sweep of the carpet. Might be worth a shot. Dries fast too. Can get a cheap harbor freight one with some distilled water. Might just melt off that invisible film and transfer it to a towel.
Lol I’m sure this contractor will learn the same lesson. Thanks!

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Lol I’m sure this contractor will learn the same lesson. Thanks!
I hope lol. It used to be just the tape lines from duct tape holding down tarps. Now its a 3’ wide path of tacky adhesive. Even worse when the rip holes in the plastic. It looks like Leopard print using dirt lol. I tell them just use good ole tarps or ram board from now on. That plastic film is garbage.

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
Hahaha Yeah it does!
Our public health system Medi.care is pretty decent!
Can get anything operated on for free in public hospital, depends on how urgent and waiting lists.
Private health depending on, pay a small gap fee and get operated on straight away in private hospital with private rooms etc

Either way if you have a car accident and get hurt badly you won’t pay a cent for any operations/treatment/care.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Hahaha Yeah it does!
Our public health system Medi.care is pretty decent!
Can get anything operated on for free in public hospital, depends on how urgent and waiting lists.
Private health depending on, pay a small gap fee and get operated on straight away in private hospital with private rooms etc

Either way if you have a car accident and get hurt badly you won’t pay a cent for any operations/treatment/care.
Well in America you stub your toe and you'll have to file bankruptcy/give them your first born child/die an early death in poverty before your bill is satisifed.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
If had sucess removing it many times. Wool could be more difficult but you need a solvent boost and scrub well, rinse with the hottest water you can without damaging the wool.

Easy to remove from synthetic carpets.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke