Customer wants wool rugs cleaned. Help! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Customer wants wool rugs cleaned. Help!

Discussion in 'Area Rug Cleaning Forum' started by carpetcleaninfarmer, Feb 25, 2009.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. carpetcleaninfarmer

carpetcleaninfarmer New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    oklahoma
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a customer that wants some wool rugs cleaned. Dont know how to clean wool or what chems to use. I have a bridgepoint dealer close by so thats the chems I have quick access to. Could someone help me on as how to go about cleaning wool. I would greatly appreciate you guys to share your vast knowledge possessed here! :bigsmiley:

2. leofry

leofry Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    bardstown kentucky
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    I have never cleaned wool so you might not take my advice on this. I would use what BP sales which looks like thats the pathy you have taken. Is it wal to wall or Oriental Rugs? I dont like losing buz but if they are very expenise Oriental Rugs. I tell the customer that they should be cleanin in plant. I found a compainy that does not do carpet cleaning and if i ever get a cusomter thats watnst that done i mail it off to them UPS and I get it back in about 10 days very costly though...now if they want me to clean it I will. I think you just dont use a lot of water, use air movers and take you time.

3. dryguy

dryguy New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Owner/Operator
    MO
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I cleaned a wool carpet yesterday. Used Fabric shampoo for wool & rinse with Fab Set Neutralizer from Interlink. Put air movers on carpet. Looks great. Dont be afraid to clean wool just use a low PH prespray

4. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,438 / 11 / -1
    If this is a wool wall-to-wall carpet, here are the steps I suggest.

1. Vacuum very thoruughly. Wool fibers can hide a lot of soil before they look dirty. I have seen wool rugs with as much as 2 pounds of dirt per sq. ft. and they looked ok.
    2. Prespray with Zone Perfect mixed with 1 ounce of Citrus Solve per gallon of ready to use prespray solution.
    Some suggest keeping presrpay at a lowe pH, but the real key is not the pH of the prespray as much as what pH is left on the carpet after cleaning.
    For those who are concerned about pH you could prespray with Hydro Break instead.
    3. Use water with temperatures of around 170 at the wand. This may be 200 or more at the truck depending on the length of your hose run and outside temperatures. Water AT THE CARPET should be 150 or less.
    4. Use End Zone for your rinse agent.
    5. Wool holds a lot of moisture. Do extra slow dry passes. USe ceiling fans, airmovers, ventilation with fresh air and whatever means are available to help the carpet dry faster.
    6. Groom by brushing the pil;e away from you as you move from farthest point back toward the door.

Scott Warrington

• Like Like x 2
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dryguy

dryguy New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Owner/Operator
    MO
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Scott W

I was told by Interlink when cleaning wool carpet, If it is real dirty then clean it using how you suggested. But if it isnt that dirty then use the chemicals I mentioned above.:confused:

6. Sef Garcia

Sef Garcia Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Owner/Operator
    Colorado
    Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Check for bleeding.
    Use wool safe product. Anyone will do. I use Formula 1 from Cross American or Anti Allergy formula from Master Blend.

Turn pressure down to around 200 and turn heat down. Extra dry strokes. Dry as quickly as possible, Fans.

7. Chet

Chet New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    co owner with wife
    Waterford, Michigan
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    We clean a lot of wool and we always check to see if it is a woven carpet or non woven. Woven carpets can shrink away from the walls and present a negetive moment with the client. Look at the backing at a heat vent or disingage and pull a corner slightly back. If you see jute or action back it is non woven and semi safe. If you see the back side of the wool tufts it is woven and we normally use a lot less moisture. Either way it can be wet cleaned, just be much more carefulwith the amount of moisture, and qualify the results with the client.
    If a wool carpets shrinks it can normally be stretched back, but you'll loose the client's trust.

8. carpetcleaninfarmer

Jan 25, 2009
    oklahoma
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They are rugs. not wall to wall.

9. M4sT3R T3CH

M4sT3R T3CH Active Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Carpet Tech
    Topeka
    Ratings:
    +163 / 3 / -0
    About 2 years ago I cleaned 2 10x12 wool area rugs. They were hand woven in the late 1800s. These rugs would bleed very easily. I used dye-lock and the delicate foam cleaning I learned at the bridgepoint schools. Rugs turned out great. Only downside is hand cleaning rugs that big takes a while. But I agree with most others When I clean your typical wool rug, I use hydrobreak, extract as well as possible and groom fab-set in. Then I dry with air movers. I havn't had any problems yet. Always ck for bleeding. Good topic. :cool:

10. Lance Golden

Lance Golden Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Male
    Owner/Operator
    Phoenix,Az
    Ratings:
    +506 / 2 / -0
    One of the oldest "tricks" in the book.... Sweep an area (hard surface) clean enough to place the rug, upside down, and vacuum from the backside 1st, using an upright vac, with a "beater-bar". This will knock a ton of the silt and loose debris through the face fiber. Peel it up off of the floor, and sweep up your mess... (repeat as necessary) and clean using Scott W.'s method, you will be just fine. ALWAYS check for colorfastness 1st! Red, blues and blacks are usually the 1st to run, fade, or bleed. I use small amount of straight ammonia on a white terry towel, (worst case scenario, stronger than any cleaner you would ever use on it) Good luck

11. Canada-Eh

Canada-Eh Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Male
    Trainer, CCT, WRT
    Ontario
    Ratings:
    +496 / 2 / -0
    I do wool all the time with Cimex/Releasit combo.
    In fact I have 10,000 squre feet of commercial wool to clean next month.
    No matter what you use on a big one like that, the place smells like a barn-yard for 2 or 3 hours.

12. leofry

leofry Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    bardstown kentucky
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    do you guys just clean the top? and if you do clean the bottom seems like you would run into troubel doint at there location to much prep work and not a good enverment. Yes i will go over there rug clean the best i can but its not the best enverment and i tell them that. as far as taking it out on the drive way. That just dont seem right to take a 100 year old rugt that is worth a lot of money and lay it down on drive way. I mean if they dont care thats fine...

13. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,438 / 11 / -1
    The products you listed will work fine. My personal preference is not to use Fabric Shampoo. I just prefer low foam products for easier rinsing. But there is more than one right way to clean wool.

Scott Warrington

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,438 / 11 / -1
    Unless the rugs are too large to move, they should be removed from the clients home and cleaned at your facility - your office, your shop or your driveway.

This allows plenty of time for testing, It lets you control drying environment better and allows you to clean without a consumer looking over your shoulder.

The method Lance described for cleaning the back is for shaking loose some of the soil that will be deep in the rug. Vacuum it upside down. Flip it over and vacuum the fron. Maybe repeat this a couple of times. Then when you are not getting any more soil loose, go ahead with testing and extraction cleaning of the face.

There is a huige variety of wool rugs. Different construction methods, different qualities of fibers, different dye methods and so forth. Test thoroughly before applying any moisture.

Scott Warrington

15. leofry

leofry Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    bardstown kentucky
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    I am always wondering . Do you think its easy to clean Oriental rugs. Do you think there is a lot of web sites that make it sound very diffiicult?

16. carpetcleaninfarmer

Jan 25, 2009
    oklahoma
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How do I test for color bleed? Ammonia on a white towl and dab? If color is on the towl then it will bleed? Any other methods of testing the wool? What if it does bleed, then what?

17. leofry

leofry Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    bardstown kentucky
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    Scott will have the best answer, but I have used just warm watter and a white towel to test. and you can use a prodcut called dye-loc.. Prespray with Dye-Loc before beginning the cleaning procedure. To prevent delayed bleeding on carpets or fabrics, use it as a final rinse. You can get it at BP. I will say i have had some color come off when testing and it still did NOT bleed. I think you have to be carefull. I always ask questions about thie rug. how much did you give for it? is it a family heirloom. I dont want to be scared of it.. but i dont watnt to screw up a 25 grand rug either.

18. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,438 / 11 / -1
    Cleaning wool rugs does not have to be difficult but it does carry more liability. If you damage a rug, you may end up writing a check to cover the cost of that rug. Training and pre-testing are two keys to avoiding as much of the liability as you can.

There are a few main issues.

1. Some of the cleaning products used for synthetic carpet can damage wool. Try to use moderate pH and leave the carpet with a final pH somewhere between 5.5 and 7.0.

2. Wool rugs may be dyed by hundreds of different methods rather than half a dozen that are commonly used for manufactured carpet. Knowing how to handle all those possible types of dyes can be an issue. Definitely test with the strongest product you will be using. For the 10% of wool rugs that may bleed, using Dye-Loc and prevent 99% of those bleeding.

3. Depending on the foundation yarns, wool rugs ( or any woven product) may shrink. Knowing how to identify the differnt backing materials and getting a problematic rug dry quickly is important.

4. Wool holds a lot of soil, up to several pounds per sq. ft. is possible. That requires a lot of vacuuming (or using duster, Badger, Wolverine, etc.) to remove all this dry soil hidden in the rug. This is a lot of extra effort before the cleaning.

5. Wool is also sensitive to many spot removal products. You can easily end up with a yellow / rust color where it was once cream colored. You may even end up with a hole. Knowing what stain removal products are safe and how to use them is important.

6. Differential shrinkage. The fiber used in the edge binding may be different than other materials in the rug. They rug will shirnk unevenly and edges can curl up, refusing to lay flat.

Scott Warrington

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Richard Baldwin

Premium VIP

Sep 5, 2008
    Technician/Owner/Operator
    Ontario
    Ratings:
    +2,462 / 26 / -0
    I find it amusing how everyone gets nervous about cleaning wool area rugs. Clean them the same way you clean carpets, just dont use any strong spotters and dont crank the heat up too much. Remember, this is a natural fabric, it is not plastic like most carpet, so the fibre is more delicate and susceptible to staining. I like to prespray with a fairly mild prespray and gently bonnet with a hand bonnet, then extract as usual, and groom. Finally, you want to spray some acetic or citric acid over the freshly cleaned carpet to help keep it from browning or dyes running, especially on the fringes. Fan dry in a warm, dry well ventilated area. For urine soaked rugs, you will need to take extra steps.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. AleighJc

AleighJc New Member

Nov 9, 2016
    Female
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, new here and I think its hard to clean the Wool rugs. They must dry clean! The other all options are useless! Because I tried all the things which shared by the different people on internet!