customer that hired a professional upholstery cleaner- can i post a quest | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

customer that hired a professional upholstery cleaner- can i post a quest

Discussion in 'General Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Discussion' started by freckles, May 20, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. freckles

freckles Member

May 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    hi, i found this forum and its a wealth of information! i am a first time professional upholstery cleaner custy and wanted to make sure its ok to post my burning question here:) please let me know if i can, thank you

• Like Like x 1
  2. wandwizard

wandwizard Randy Dockins
    Premium VIP

Nov 12, 2008
    Male
    carpet and upholstery cleaning.
    Ratings:
    +4,764 / 14 / -0
    Go ahead, I'm dyin to know what the question is.:) Seriously, I don't think it's a problem. A moderator can always remove it if it is.

3. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,861 / 85 / -0
    Ask away, we will help you if we can. We have no problem with you asking as long as you dont try to hide the spam.

• Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. freckles

freckles Member

May 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    #4 freckles, May 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017
    SNV13303.JPG SNV13320.JPG SNV13308.JPG SNV13310.JPG SNV13323.JPG ok, thank you!

i bought a very expensive chaise second hand (a minotti) its a chenille fabric made of viscose, cotton and polyester with a "P" label. i've never hired a professional upholstery cleaner before.

the seat cushion had obvious wear, staining and the nap was worn and part of an armrest and back had sun damage. the chaise is one year old but lived in a house with active people and pets and pet urine/body oils (?) on the seat cushion, the body and back cushion looked pristine, no wear or tear.

i washed the down seat cover twice, vacuumed and wiped it all down with a lightly dampened microfiber that was sprayed with a diluted vinegar natural cleaning spray just to make it feel fresher while researching cleaning options- dry/solvent or steam clean.

i read yelp reviews and hired a pro to clean. some others passed because of the fabric or fabric material. he said he's cleaned sofas worth 30K before and never had issues.

the pro used a large portable steam cleaner, pre sprayed with a solution that is for fine fabrics/upholstery ( he said this is what he uses all the time) and steam cleaned at a lower temp to avoid frying the fabric and deodorized.

when he started on one side, he showed me some vertical lines that came up. to me, it looked darker because it was wet and he said it must of been previously cleaned and due to residual chemicals.

i honestly couldn't see what he was pointing out until the next day when it was all dry. the fabric is distorted, texture looks and feels rougher and was not groomed- horizontal lines and vertical lines from the suction.

the only area that was not steam cleaned is along the bottom of the chaise ( where the nozzle didn't reach), the fabric is soft and has its original sheen and texture.

he came by 3 days later ( due to my work schedule) and tried to brush/groom the lines out after spraying it a bit with a odor neutralizer and said the fabric distortion and texture change was due to chemicals left from a previous cleaning. but i contacted the original owner and confirmed it was never professionally cleaned ( 1 year old chaise) except for the house cleaner trying a bissel on the dirty seat cushion only.

he insists its the weave of the fabric and previous unknown chemicals that caused the distortion and texture change. but will come back to reclean with water only though was doubtful it would improve.

he is a one man company with great reviews. suggestions on how to remedy chaise?

thank you!

5. jtsunbrite

Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,669 / 11 / -0
    looks like hes got some browning due to over wetting,,, My opinion is call the guy back and get him to provide his insurance so you can hire a quality company to come fix his work.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,861 / 85 / -0
    When you say expensive how expensive are we talking about for a used chaise that had worn areas, sun damage and staining? I bought a used sofa once for $50 but it was in great shape and it is in my loft still to this day, just trying to get an understanding of the value of the chaise. It is hard to get a good idea of the piece with the pictures only being zoomed in on areas but if you can post a picture of the whole piece it may help us.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. jtsunbrite

Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,669 / 11 / -0
    what are you thinking on the damage you see ?

8. SAA

SAA Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Instructor - Precision Cleaning & Carpet Repair
    NC
    Ratings:
    +2,947 / 3 / -0
    Let me applaud you for your photos, you show enough to at least get an idea of what is going on. Still, some different shots would help more but at least you took several and that is great.

There can be several things going on here. The process is to eliminate what is is not and that takes a little understanding. Anything with a pile or nap to it, Chenille is certainly in that group. A form of Velvet (which can be a weave or a style) can have distortion and or pile reversal that can literally change the way the light reaches ones eyes and make it look different.

When cleaned, and if it has natural fibers in it (you stated it did, the question now if how did you determine this), it will need to be cleaned without distortion (which very few do or even understand how to avoid this) and or it needs to be brushed and dried properly and not left to dry on its own.

You should do a pile reversal test on it (you can look this up in the forum's past links) and either confirm or eliminate this. Then, once you determine this, it has to be determined if it was done through usage or improper cleaning or maybe a combination of both. Depending, it may be correctable but it may not be, a test would determine this.

If you can get some of this figured out, we can take the next step of possible correction and how to proceed.

SAA

• Like Like x 1
  9. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,861 / 85 / -0
    It looks like the nap is going in different directions but it is hard for me to tell for sure with the pics being in such a small area on the chaise. I can tell on the first picture where it was not cleaned all the way to the bottom but it also looks like different lay of the nap.

10. freckles

freckles Member

May 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    #10 freckles, May 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017
    a new chaise runs about 10k, this is 1 year old with wear and staining on the seat cushion and sun damage to a small area.

i've attached wider views. thank you

SNV13332.JPG SNV13337.JPG SNV13339.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  11. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,861 / 85 / -0
    We must be in different income brackets because my whole living rooms furniture was less than $10k counting TV and electronics :eek:

Those are better pics that can show a lot more, I can see the lines from the upholstery tool and can tell it was not groomed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. freckles

freckles Member

May 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    hello saa,

i took the back cushion cover to the minotti showroom and they showed me the fabric content on file. 40% viscose, 40% cotton, 20 % polyester.

i'll check the pile reversal test and report back.

thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  13. freckles

freckles Member

May 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    believe me, i'm not in that income bracket either! more of an ikea girl but the original owner was selling due to move and life at a super great price in an exclusive neighborhood... was a long drive out there! this is first grown up couch :)

• Like Like x 4
  14. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,861 / 85 / -0
    My wife has expensive tastes for furniture but she also takes care of everything like it has to last us the next 50 years. Happy wife= Happy life :)

15. jtsunbrite

Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,669 / 11 / -0
    ok I now see that,, that's why I don't comment on a lot of furniture or rugs because I do mostly carpets

16. freckles

freckles Member

May 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    i tested for pile reversal and did not find any- ran my hand over a unused pencil over white paper and ran it all along to see if there was any reversed direction.

i attached arrows showing the direction of each side if that might help explain the distortion.

and added some wider views. please excuse the background.

SNV13361.JPG SNV13347.JPG SNV13348.JPG SNV13353.JPG

17. Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Todd Cottino
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Pahrump, Nevada, United States
    Ratings:
    +26,101 / 58 / -0
    I agree with Jason and Steve (SAA), the nap of the fabric has definitely been distorted by the cleaning. As Steve mentioned there are ways to clean this fabric which can avoid these problems.

The good news is I'm fairly confident it's fixable. It will be time consuming to fix it but it can be done. Having the guy clean it again using just water is NOT the answer. In fact I probably wouldn't even use a machine on it to fix the problem.

Where are you located at? Maybe we can find someone close by you that can fix this for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. freckles

freckles Member

May 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    i'm in los angeles, in the east hollywood area

19. Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Todd Cottino
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Pahrump, Nevada, United States
    Ratings:
    +26,101 / 58 / -0
    @Pinosan should be able to help you. I just tagged him so he will check this thread next time he comes on TMF.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. freckles

freckles Member

May 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    i texted the upholstery cleaner for information re: equipment, temp, psi, products used. i don't recall any spot testing, vacuuming or brushing before cleaning.

i hope the information might be helpful?