Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We are updating our customer prep list. What are a list of things you ask the client to do before you arrive?

-Pre vacuum
-Secure pets
-Clear the driveway
-Have payment ready
-Someone over 18 to be home
-Empty jobs payment must be made ahead or on arrival
-Remove any small breakable items
-Maybe have an old towel lay down at bottom stairs to avoid slipping

Preparing for you Carpet Cleaning

-We are excited to be cleaning for you. When we arrive, we will do a walk through with you so that you can show us the areas we will be cleaning and you’ll be able to point out any areas of concern that we can pay special attention to.

-We will be able to give you the exact invoice amount after the walk through.

-Here are a few things you can do to help us to do even a better job for you.

-Please make sure you can put your pets up while we are there, we sure don’t want our little furry friends accidentally getting out while we are there.

-Should kids be present we ask that they don’t run about over our hoses or slip on a slick floors!

-We need a place to park. It doesn’t necessarily have to be in the driveway but a place by the driveway even if it’s on the street

-We ask that you pre vacuum the areas that we will be cleaning prior to our arrival

-We move most small items of furniture, if you have breakables or treasures it would be great if you could remove those from the end tables, coffee table night stands, etc.

-We don’t move china hutches, pianos, beds, dressers with mirrors, items that have breakables in them, or antiques. Examples of items we will move, are couches , chairs, coffee tables, end tables, dining room tables and chairs etc (hope this gives you a good idea)

-After we move the items we will put them back in place with either plastic tabs or styro-foam blocks for protection from furniture stains on the carpet. We ask that these stay under furniture for a minimum of 24 hours. If you have removed any furniture prior to our arrival do not put that back in place for at least 24 hours from the time we finish our cleaning.

-Should you have any curtains that touch the floor please pin them up or adjust them so that they are off the floor

-As we are cleaning and after we leave the carpet will be damp so PLEASE BE CAREFUL STEPPING FROM DAMP CARPET TO TILE OR VINYL/WOOD FLOORS THEY WILL BE SLIPPERY?

-Should you have any questions what-so-ever don’t hesitate to ask

Last edited:
Reactions: CleaningBROS

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I’m gonna make a check list video. Come on men I need some input.

SkylinePrints

Nov 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Real Name
Nathan
Business Location
United States
@rob allen , I've been thinking about this, and here are a few suggestions:
  1. a reminder that carpets will be damp and to minimize traffic on cleaned areas until dry to prevent re-soiling.
  2. I'd probably add some disclaimer about dry times to set expectations, especially during inclement weather. not sure how I'd word it but hope you understand my thoughts here.
  3. reminder about air circulation. leave fans on, a/c, windows, whatever the preferred method to aid in dry time

Reactions: rob allen

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I’m gonna make a check list video. Come on men I need some input.
Maybe you have add
@rob allen , I've been thinking about this, and here are a few suggestions:
  1. a reminder that carpets will be damp and to minimize traffic on cleaned areas until dry to prevent re-soiling.
  2. I'd probably add some disclaimer about dry times to set expectations, especially during inclement weather. not sure how I'd word it but hope you understand my thoughts here.
  3. reminder about air circulation. leave fans on, a/c, windows, whatever the preferred method to aid in dry time
I was also thinking about this. Perhaps you can mention that you will be powering off ceiling fans as you prep the rooms to be cleaned and powered back on immediately after each area is done.

I hate when I enter a room after a pre-spray to find the ceiling fan blasting.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I really think it all comes down to the type of customers you have. I prefer high end clients. Their carpets arent that dirty, are well educated and have respect for those that they invite into their home. So to tell you the truth, Ive never had to write up a customer prep list, although if I were to start over again it would be something that I would think necessary.

Lets go over your list...

-Pre vacuum. This is debateable even within the industry. most of my clients do prevacuum but since I use a CRB on every job, the CRB will remove more than any vacuum.
-Secure pets. I LOVE pets! and show that to the customer when I arrive. Most dogs are greeters and want to meet the person that is in what they consider their space. The sooner I can make them my friend the faster the job will go and nothing you can say to a customer can beat making friends with their pet!
-Clear the driveway. I always park on the street when I arrive. Then after the walkthrough I let them know where I will be parking and ask if they need to get a vehicle out of the garage while I am working. Even if the driveway is clear and you pull into the driveway, it does not guarantee that they need to get a vehicle out of the garage while you are working.
-Have payment ready. My approach is a bit different. If I concentrate more on doing the best job possible, the money will come. If they dont pay right away, I leave a self addressed stamped envelope. I can only recall one person in about 40 years that has not paid.
-Someone over 18 to be home. Almost half of the homes I clean nobody is home. Its a bit less now with COVID but I only need to know how to get in and what needs to be cleaned and then get it done. Dont know why someone needs to be home. I tell them when they call that if they have any specific things I need to know to leave a note on the kitchen counter. I have their cell number if I have any questions.
-Empty jobs payment must be made ahead or on arrival. Not here, read above.
-Remove any small breakable items. agree here but like I said, Ive never had to mention it other than if they ask on the phone.
-Maybe have an old towel lay down at bottom stairs to avoid slipping. Yes, good idea, but I do leave a caution mat at all hard surface floors that abut carpet I clean. Usually they have an entry mat or carpet I put at the bottom of the stairs.

I get it though. Clearly Stated Expectations. As a business, its a necessity. And like I said, if I were to start over I would do it, but at this stage having the customers I have, its not necessary.