Customer called claiming he had wickback/stains reappear.....6 months later. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Customer called claiming he had wickback/stains reappear.....6 months later.

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Title says it all really. Missed a call today and checked my message was a customer claiming everything came back on their carpet. I had to check our records with his number to figure out who it was and it was a job from 6 months back.

Fairly standard job but they had carpet in the dining area, so no "stains" but a ton of food stuff left behind. They also have kids and pets so I highly doubt it's the same crud on the carpet ( I had cleaned the carpets prior to them moving in 6 months before the job with the previous renter, so I know they had accumulated the mess themselves in that time originally)

I have never had a callback before, exspecially not one with such a long time frame. How would you guys handle this? Thanks.

Reactions: Allied

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Maybe tops a month grace for call back.
Would tell them you don't warranty work six months later.
Sounds like they are trying to scam you. Don't let them take advantage of you is all I can say.
Now I know this day and age internet and possibly bad review but I won't be put over a barrel .
Perhaps you can offer a small discount off regular prices if you wish.
Hell people with pets and kids ... semi annual cleaning is pretty much a gimme ( of course not all do ).
I would have a real hard time giving in on a reclean for free and this is what they are expecting .

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
Title says it all really. Missed a call today and checked my message was a customer claiming everything came back on their carpet. I had to check our records with his number to figure out who it was and it was a job from 6 months back.

Fairly standard job but they had carpet in the dining area, so no "stains" but a ton of food stuff left behind. They also have kids and pets so I highly doubt it's the same crud on the carpet ( I had cleaned the carpets prior to them moving in 6 months before the job with the previous renter, so I know they had accumulated the mess themselves in that time originally)

I have never had a callback before, exspecially not one with such a long time frame. How would you guys handle this? Thanks.
Did they sound upset? I'm curious what they said, their exact words/tone.

Last edited:

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Maybe tops a month grace for call back.
Would tell them you don't warranty work six months later.
Sounds like they are trying to scam you. Don't let them take advantage of you is all I can say.
Now I know this day and age internet and possibly bad review but I won't be put over a barrel .
Perhaps you can offer a small discount off regular prices if you wish.
Hell people with pets and kids ... semi annual cleaning is pretty much a gimme ( of course not all do ).
I would have a real hard time giving in on a reclean for free and this is what they are expecting .
That's right and if he does that free clean,,, when its dirty they will call again and it will never end!!!!
Call back and offer a 10% discount and say Maam im sorry but too much time has passed on this job.

Tony from Chicago

Nov 1, 2016
Real Name
Anthony Almerigi
I bet you'll find a bottle of resolve in her kitchen cabinet under the sink. Now is the perfect opportunity to sell her on a maintenance cleaning and let her know if she books every six months you'll give her a reduced rate.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Reactions: Justin Arndt

Tony from Chicago

Nov 1, 2016
Real Name
Anthony Almerigi
Just don't call them back and block their number. You don't need "customers" like that.
Unless the customer is accusing you of causing this problem and demanding a free cleaning- this is not good customer service. Every customer should at least get a chance to be educated on our process and policies. Maybe she is calling to book a new service and just misspoke

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States

No way...5 months 2 weeks to long to be calling you back...had the same call earlier this year...stains came back 8 months later...GTFOH...gave them my price to come back and clean the carpets...never called back.

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
Unless the customer is accusing you of causing this problem and demanding a free cleaning- this is not good customer service. Every customer should at least get a chance to be educated on our process and policies. Maybe she is calling to book a new service and just misspoke

Could be but unlikely. I think the original poster is under the impression they want a reclean at no cost. Anyways that is the great thing about business we can run ours as we please.

From the original post - -
Missed a call today and checked my message was a customer claiming everything came back on their carpet. I had to check our records with his number to figure out who it was and it was a job from 6 months back.

Tony from Chicago

Nov 1, 2016
Real Name
Anthony Almerigi
It only takes a phone call to find out for sure. Believe me, I know some people are crazy or have unrealistic expectations like the carpet will stay clean forever but, if you just assume they are without giving them a chance and the courtesy of a return call, that is just bad customer service.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I would charge them double for insulting my intelligence.

Reactions: Justin Arndt

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I had cleaned the carpets prior to them moving in 6 months before the job with the previous renter
Didn't anybody see RENTER in the post? I don't clean rentals - maybe this is why

What RENTER is going to pay for a maintenance plan?

Reactions: RAW Prespray

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
The best question I ever came up with is this. "What do you want to have happen?" If they say they want it re-cleaned give them a price and then ask if they will be paying for that with cash. If so offer them a 10% discount. That way they know you intend on getting paid to re-clean it.

Reactions: Tony from Chicago

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I will always go back to at least see what they are talking about. It's the least we can do.

I've had jobs in the past that have called back after an extended time, one in particular called me back 9 months later because her grout was getting dirty again. I went back and talked with her about it. She had been under the impression that since she had the grout sealed it wouldn't get dirty again. I took the opportunity to educate her on the fact that sealer helps prevent spills from penetrating the grout and staining it but it will not stop dirt from accumulating on top of the sealer. I discussed with her the correct procedure for mopping the floor and keeping it clean and then I hooked up my equipment and took 30 minutes to clean her kitchen for her at no charge. She is a loyal customer to this day, she has me clean all the carpet and tile in her house once a year now and has also referred several of her friends to me. In fact she is booked for a cleaning next week.

All this because I spent an hour of my time taking care of her. Was she justified in expecting a free re-clean 9 months later? Hell no! But the little bit of time I spent taking care of her has paid off many times over.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
CRI recommends that a carpet be vacuumed at least once per week for every occupant (including pets) in the home. This is the standard for carpet care according to most manufacturers to keep the carpet covered under warranty and in good condition.

Maintenance cleanings, whether CRB or HWE, are generally recommended every six to twelve months (again depending on occupancy). So your customer is due for a cleaning anyway according to the standards set by the manufacturer.

This isn't something you did - we all know that. But if you give the above information to your customer, it will help them understand that what they're seeing is soil that they should have been removing on a regular basis after you did the deep cleaning. And if they refuse to accept responsibility for their own maintenance... well, you can lead the horse to water, et cetera et cetera. At least then you will have educated the customer, told them why their carpet is in bad shape, backed it up with details from the people who make carpet, and given them options for the future. If they choose not to care because they're renters... well, not every customer can be a good customer.

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
I will always go back to at least see what they are talking about. It's the least we can do.

I've had jobs in the past that have called back after an extended time, one in particular called me back 9 months later because her grout was getting dirty again. I went back and talked with her about it. She had been under the impression that since she had the grout sealed it wouldn't get dirty again. I took the opportunity to educate her on the fact that sealer helps prevent spills from penetrating the grout and staining it but it will not stop dirt from accumulating on top of the sealer. I discussed with her the correct procedure for mopping the floor and keeping it clean and then I hooked up my equipment and took 30 minutes to clean her kitchen for her at no charge. She is a loyal customer to this day, she has me clean all the carpet and tile in her house once a year now and has also referred several of her friends to me. In fact she is booked for a cleaning next week.

All this because I spent an hour of my time taking care of her. Was she justified in expecting a free re-clean 9 months later? Hell no! But the little bit of time I spent taking care of her has paid off many times over.

Exactly...i went and looked at my job...same situation...place was trashed...looked like it had not seen a beater bar in those same 8 months...double GTFOH!

Reactions: RAW Prespray

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
CRI recommends that a carpet be vacuumed at least once per week for every occupant (including pets) in the home. This is the standard for carpet care according to most manufacturers to keep the carpet covered under warranty and in good condition.

Maintenance cleanings, whether CRB or HWE, are generally recommended every six to twelve months (again depending on occupancy). So your customer is due for a cleaning anyway according to the standards set by the manufacturer.

This isn't something you did - we all know that. But if you give the above information to your customer, it will help them understand that what they're seeing is soil that they should have been removing on a regular basis after you did the deep cleaning. And if they refuse to accept responsibility for their own maintenance... well, you can lead the horse to water, et cetera et cetera. At least then you will have educated the customer, told them why their carpet is in bad shape, backed it up with details from the people who make carpet, and given them options for the future. If they choose not to care because they're renters... well, not every customer can be a good customer.
Hello Amy, I love reading your posts. They are always brilliant.......

Last edited: