Cub vs Mytee

Qbguru1987

May 17, 2020
Real Name
James Journell
Hello Guys,

I have a budget of 4-5k, will be running business with my Dodge Durango SUV. I would prefer TM but I am not sure my budget will allow that.

I used to have a successful one man detailing company. My hourly rate only was around $20-25 per hour. I believe I can make more with carpet cleaning.

I am being very indecisive with a purchase of a portable right now. Maybe some advice from guys who walk the walk will help.

I am looking at 2 models specifically. The Cross-American Jaguar Cub and the Package at Steam Brite Mytee LTD 1005.

The Cub because of the lightweight/height of 32" to fit in the back of my SUV without laying it on its side. It seems like a simple, basic looking machine, however very reliable and strong.

The Mytee 1005 LX because the reputation of Mytee and the strong customer service. Also looks very professional taking into the house of a customer. This specific package at Steam Brite makes me want to buy it though. It is $2800 and comes with everything you need(wand, upholstery tool, hoses, chemicals, DVDs, etc).

The problem with the Mytee is the weight to carry up stairs(lots of high rise apartment and three story apartments near me).Also the height, not sure it will fit in standing up in my SUV. But, that package for $2800 with all I need sounds amazing. That way I am not shopping seperately for everything.

The Cub, I cannot seem to find a package deal anywhere(Machine only for $1775). I don't like the idea of trying to order everything individually. I don't know what to match the Accessories with the Cub.

There are pros and cons to both, can't seem to decide which way I want to go. Seems like the Cub is the way to go, but Mytee is offering simple one stop shop and I like that the Mytee company is only an hour away in the event I need some warranty work done.

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
If you are using a portable inside the house, I suggest the Nautilus 3 stage for two reasons: 1) its an impressive looking machine 2) 3 stage motors are less likely to trip breakers.

If you are going up and down stairs, the Breeze LX weighs less than the 1005LX with the same suction. The Breeze might also have wheels on the back so it can lay flat. I like the Breeze it reminds me of the Ninja Classic. Check Cobb Carpet for Breeze machines.

Last edited:

Qbguru1987

May 17, 2020
Real Name
James Journell
If you are using a portable inside the house, I suggest the Nautilus 3 stage for two reasons: 1) its an impressive looking machine 2) 3 stage motors are less likely to trip breakers.

What do you plan on doing with the dirty water?

Haven't thought much on it, but I am assuming dumping in customer toilets.

Qbguru1987

May 17, 2020
Real Name
James Journell
I am going to go with the Cub but need assistance on what else I need to buy besides a wand and upholstery tool. Where does anyone recommend getting the hoses? Can I buy any brand and it will work with the Jaguar Cub?

Do I need fittings? Filters?

Qbguru1987

May 17, 2020
Real Name
James Journell
Update:

I found a used very nice Ninja 400 model #411-225hmo with a wand and hoses for 1,000$ . It has heat as well, which didn't matter to me, but I suppose it would be nice to have along with my bucket heater.

My question is the people who sold it to me, say it is 500 psi, which I did see go up to 450-500 psi. However the manual says it's a 200/500 psi. I am confused as to why it says it's both. If anyone can clarify I would appreciate it.

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
The manual is referring to two different models. If yours goes up to 500 psi, then its 500 psi. Does it have two 2 stage or two 3 stage motors? That machine is fine at 15-25 ft. Dry times might suffer at longer distances.

Qbguru1987

May 17, 2020
Real Name
James Journell
The manual is referring to two different models. If yours goes up to 500 psi, then its 500 psi. Does it have two 2 stage or two 3 stage motors? That machine is fine at 15-25 ft. Dry times might suffer at longer distances.

What would it be based on the picture? 2 or 3 stage?

It came with a 25 ft hose, would you recommend getting a 25 ft or 50 ft hose for going upstairs?

Attachments

• IMG_20200519_133045756.jpg
    IMG_20200519_133045756.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 131

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Gallons per minute. The more GPM allows you to flush the carpet better. You have to remember with more gpm you need to extract more(3 dry passes with the wand vs 1). You can always lower your jet size on the wand. Smaller jet = more pressure but reducing volume. Generally you can clean effectively with 200-300psi & 2-3 flow(jet size). Most portable pumps.
When you buy your machine experiment with what works. You could attend a class if you can.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Update:

I found a used very nice Ninja 400 model #411-225hmo with a wand and hoses for 1,000$ . It has heat as well, which didn't matter to me, but I suppose it would be nice to have along with my bucket heater.

My question is the people who sold it to me, say it is 500 psi, which I did see go up to 450-500 psi. However the manual says it's a 200/500 psi. I am confused as to why it says it's both. If anyone can clarify I would appreciate it.
Why is heat not a determining factor for you? Are you going to rely on the bucket heater?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Pay attention to the GPM on the pump as well, 500 PSI at 1GPM isnt shit compared to 2 GPM at 500 PSI, you'll literally halve your cleaning time

Helped a vortex guy getting 172 oz through the wand with the jets out.... I won't effin clean with a portable at that flow.

Once you feel the power of what your equipment is truly capable of, there is no turning back.

Qbguru1987

May 17, 2020
Real Name
James Journell
Why is heat not a determining factor for you? Are you going to rely on the bucket heater?

I was told to buy a machine without heat due to using too much energy and tripping circuits. That you would want more suction power.

I have a bucket heater I used to use for my auto detailing carpet extractor that would be boiling hot. I figured I could use that for my portable.

Looks like I got best of both worlds though with the heater and 500 psi with this Ninja I bought. The motor is very clean too.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
I was told to buy a machine without heat due to using too much energy and tripping circuits. That you would want more suction power.

I have a bucket heater I used to use for my auto detailing carpet extractor that would be boiling hot. I figured I could use that for my portable.

Looks like I got best of both worlds though with the heater and 500 psi with this Ninja I bought. The motor is very clean too.
Depending on how it's made you are correct. If the majority of your jobs will be in homes that have washer/dryer units you could always get a power converter plug that allows you to gain 2 outlets.
I've never used a bucket heater but cleaning carpets will require more volume of heat vs autos. Putting boiling water into your portable could destroy the seals, etc. I would check with the mfg.
You could look into an inline heater.

Qbguru1987

May 17, 2020
Real Name
James Journell
Depending on how it's made you are correct. If the majority of your jobs will be in homes that have washer/dryer units you could always get a power converter plug that allows you to gain 2 outlets.
I've never used a bucket heater but cleaning carpets will require more volume of heat vs autos. Putting boiling water into your portable could destroy the seals, etc. I would check with the mfg.
You could look into an inline heater.

That is a great idea about the power converter. There is one for sale at Harbor Freight for $130 with excellent reviews. It has 4000 watts start up with 2000 continuous watts. I could plug one into the power converter and one into the customers outlet. Thanks you are the man.