Cross American Jaguar 8.4 Review | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Cross American Jaguar 8.4 Review

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Or just buy a truck mount if you're a residential only guy...never have to worry about it =)

I don't know where all the maintenance comes from on a truck, I check the fluids every day, fog the blower at the end of each day, other than minor electrical issues once in a while my truck has run for 2 years with no issues.

For those "go green" guys...when you do the math on gas vs electric - it costs more coal and a bigger carbon footprint to run an electric mount than my gas one...
You check fluids every day I check nothing every day. In winter I bring my machine inside but a TM guy has the chance of freezing it. Not to mention in and out from hot to cold is another negative. Also the repair costs is alot more on TM.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Well sometimes after the honeymoon and The hangover has worn off from the cult Kool-Aid. You see the faults for what they are.
Does it make her a bad woman?
No it just makes her less perfect woman than when you were drinking the Kool-Aid.
Sometimes things need improvement.
But don't all things need improvement?
If anybody's found a perfect machine please let me know.
I know John LaBarbera openly admit his stuff is imperfect.
And I'm sure Ed would do the same

the question is are they willing to make changes to make their machines better for the end-user
I once had the perfect woman but I lost her the day I married her, 13 years later she is still the love of my life but isn't perfect. I know she thought she could turn me into the perfect man but she quickly found out it aint happening.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
From Roto-Vac-to Mytee-to Orbitec to Hydra Master to West Pak to PMF to Goodyear they all had their issue or were modified by me. The only equipment that I haven't had issues with is the Zipper , Cimex and my 1985 Clarke 175.
I have used the pimped out Cross American Recoil-Jag and Cub since 2009 year round . Business to the point where its more than one man can handle. I'm thankful that Ed V. was there to help me start.
Like Jim Davidson I'm always searching ways to improve on efficiency.

Last edited:
Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
Or just buy a truck mount if you're a residential only guy...never have to worry about it =)

I don't know where all the maintenance comes from on a truck, I check the fluids every day, fog the blower at the end of each day, other than minor electrical issues once in a while my truck has run for 2 years with no issues.

For those "go green" guys...when you do the math on gas vs electric - it costs more coal and a bigger carbon footprint to run an electric mount than my gas one...
No oil changes, filters, belts? That’s very good. Sounds economical.

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
From Roto-Vac-to Mytee-to Orbitec to Hydra Master to West Pak to PMF to Goodyear they all had their issue or were modified by me. The only equipment that I haven't had issues with is the Zipper , Cimex and my 1985 Clarke 175.
I have used the pimped out Cross American Recoil-Jag and Cub since 2009 year round . Business to the point where its more than one man can handle. I'm thankful that Ed V. was there to help me start.
Like Jim Davidson I'm always searching ways to improve on efficiency.
I appreciate your loyalty. It’s an admirable quality. However, it’s one thing for a company to have issues with their product and work to fix it and another to have an issue and call it a “ feature”.

Reactions: J20770 and Ymetimme

Ed Valentine

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan, USA
cross-american.com
Real Name
Ed Valentine
Business Location
United States
John;

Somehow I had the feeling that eventually you couldn't hold back and would have to find a way of yhrowing a jab at your competition, which, btw, something I would not and haven't done when the tables were turned not long ago. You see even though we all have as manufacturers, ( you are no different,sir) certain situations which are continued to be refined, and/or corrected as we move forward.

Michael (AZ) is a great gentleman ,customer, and friend. And, although he would not be aware, several of his honest comments have already been addressed, period. Thus, for others chiming in without asking (myself here at the Plant) to assume that "we" don't listen is totally ridiculous because we do and therefore would be considered just anothers adjenda. BTW, as we all know, that comment could only come from the always disgruntled JRH, which has become very tiring.

However, I do want to make one thing very clear: we take extreme pride in the industrial build of our equipment in an effort of a very efficient system and a long lasting one which (as I believe Michael and a Gent in the UK experienced) can even fall out of a truck and be in full working condition of the next job! I doubt that many could say that. Further, we it has also been a pat-on-the -back when over the past 40 years, it is most difficult to find a "used" CA unit at best. Michael was fortunate to find one. That should tell one something.

Finally, John, between you and I, I do not believe that any competitor/manufacturer should comment on anothers because it does not put credence into an opinion and only reflects an adjenda and can be ascertained as being a little suspicious. Just not professional no matter who you are.

In regards to the honorable Jim Morrow, we personally regard him very highly. Jim is a smart gentleman who has offered so much input. We always enjoy his visits with always helpful information. With his background at GM, I listen when he speaks!!!!

Thanks to all and to Michael and his great son!

Ed Valentine

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

Vacuum Thingymajigger

Apr 20, 2018
Real Name
Carlito Pozon
Also to add, you will need a 20amp for one vac with any mytee machines that uses cat pump 500psi, ohh boy do they use lots of amps. I have changed my cat pump to a 200 psi pump tech pump, I use dual small pumps like Jim does for more water flow and this way it won't trip any 15amp breaker. I would highly suggest John from mytee to start use pump tech 500 psi for future machine.
Yes, I've been using the Pumptec 207 with M58 motor (set at 400 psi) combined with the trailing LX vac for 5 condo jobs since and it didn't trip the 15 amp breaker.

Reactions: Fedri

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
John;

Somehow I had the feeling that eventually you couldn't hold back and would have to find a way of yhrowing a jab at your competition, which, btw, something I would not and haven't done when the tables were turned not long ago. You see even though we all have as manufacturers, ( you are no different,sir) certain situations which are continued to be refined, and/or corrected as we move forward.

Michael (AZ) is a great gentleman ,customer, and friend. And, although he would not be aware, several of his honest comments have already been addressed, period. Thus, for others chiming in without asking (myself here at the Plant) to assume that "we" don't listen is totally ridiculous because we do and therefore would be considered just anothers adjenda. BTW, as we all know, that comment could only come from the always disgruntled JRH, which has become very tiring.

However, I do want to make one thing very clear: we take extreme pride in the industrial build of our equipment in an effort of a very efficient system and a long lasting one which (as I believe Michael and a Gent in the UK experienced) can even fall out of a truck and be in full working condition of the next job! I doubt that many could say that. Further, we it has also been a pat-on-the -back when over the past 40 years, it is most difficult to find a "used" CA unit at best. Michael was fortunate to find one. That should tell one something.

Finally, John, between you and I, I do not believe that any competitor/manufacturer should comment on anothers because it does not put credence into an opinion and only reflects an adjenda and can be ascertained as being a little suspicious. Just not professional no matter who you are.

In regards to the honorable Jim Morrow, we personally regard him very highly. Jim is a smart gentleman who has offered so much input. We always enjoy his visits with always helpful information. With his background at GM, I listen when he speaks!!!!

Thanks to all and to Michael and his great son!

Ed Valentine
You always sidestep the main points Ed so you don’t have to address the real issues of your customers.

Reactions: JRH

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Yes, I've been using the Pumptec 207 with M58 motor (set at 400 psi) combined with the trailing LX vac for 5 condo jobs since and it didn't trip the 15 amp breaker.
Perfect buddy, I remember that from the previous post of yours that's why I said it and I have used my Otter pump with LX vacs at around 500psi and still didn't trip a breaker, how ever with cat pump even I set it to 200psi it will trip a breaker with my LXs, 5.7s, 6.6s. that's why John should look in to that.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
No oil changes, filters, belts? That’s very good. Sounds economical.

Assumed in saying doing preventative maintenance. Even with all that, if I get through a job twice as faster as a porty, it's worth it.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Without a doubt a ETM is best for my market. We have a minimum of 6 mths of freezing, sub freezing temps. Next year my game changer is I am adding propane heat to my truck. I really dislike the idea of a gas Truck Mount for many reasons. In my market as well I have to have a machine to take in without leaving doors open. I don’t understand how many don’t get asked to do that. I do all the time. So this year two machines will happen.
Having a machine mounted in the truck and one to go would be ideal.
My Jag works very well for how I use it. There’s a few issues I’ve had with it that honestly could be resolved easily. Some of which I’m doing myself. Every product is designed for the entire market not just one person. But the Jag needs some updates. I can’t say that about the Escape I’ve never owned one. But have seen Mytee make changes as they have had feedback.
I’m not a Ford vs Chevy guy. Nor do I dislike people that are. I like whatever suits my needs.
I’d very much like to try a Escape. Right now it’s not going to happen. But before years up I will have one. Personally have no plans on giving up my Jag myself. I will be modifying it with bigger tires, fresh water tank drain, and gasket around the tanks.
I’ve said this, personally the dual 8.4 motors are endlessly impressive. I like 800 psi vs 500 as my wand seems to love 600 psi.

Reactions: Fedri and Ymetimme

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
That LTD-6 looks pretty darn awesome! HEAT :) :) :)

Reactions: Ymetimme

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
You always sidestep the main points Ed so you don’t have to address the real issues of your customers.
Well John you're well aware that it cost money to address issues with anything other than words and suggested customer modification

It leads to a frustrated client base that would love to remain brand loyal

But when said brand refuses to make changes based on it's design it is simply implied that through words that nothing needs changed And the clients are the problems

The following photographs is an example of a design failure of the gasket location on this dump valve it is improperly placed on the out side of the tank

Other manufacturers cut threads inside their recovery tanks in order for the valve to screw in but molds cost a lot and machining tanks cost even more

In my case it's allowed water leak on a client's travertine floor causing a extremely disgruntled client

20190408_143115~2.jpg

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Well John you're well aware that it cost money to address issues with anything other than words and suggested customer modification

It leads to a frustrated client base that would love to remain brand loyal

But when said brand refuses to make changes based on it's design it is simply implied that through words that nothing needs changed And the clients are the problems

The following photographs is an example of a design failure of the gasket location on this dump valve it is improperly placed on the out side of the tank

Other manufacturers cut threads inside their recovery tanks in order for the valve to screw in but molds cost a lot and machining tanks cost even more

In my case it's allowed water leak on a client's travertine floor causing a extremely disgruntled client

View attachment 84097
I re-glued every connection with goop to prevent a few leaks

Reactions: Ymetimme

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Another issue is we had a constant slow leak that we could not find well you had to tear the machine apart lay it on its face with no water in the tank lol. How are you supposed to find leak in the tank if you can't put water in it lol
So I had to have my wife hold the tank up with it unbolted to find that there is a cobble together configuration of various fittings and a lot of goop adhesive that has failed causing a slow drip.
Once again if the gasketing was on the inside this failure would be far less likely

I have 20 year-old equipment that have never lost a drop
Screenshot_20190408-144037_Video%20Editor~2.jpg

Reactions: Fedri