Cross American Jaguar 8.4 Review | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Cross American Jaguar 8.4 Review

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I very much dislike the way JRH goes about discussing things.
But he’s made some points that if done reasonably people would listen....
This is my review of the 8.4 Jag after really putting it to use. It’s not meant to slam the machine in a negative way.
There are a few things I’ve learned about my Jag I’ve come to dislike, and some things I like a lot.

The machine is made using high quality vac motors and pump. After putting some mileage on the machine I’ve concluded a few things..

PROS: Cleans Carpet Like a Big Dog, simply it cleans carpet 150’ and more.

I’d strongly recommend it due to price point only with the following changes.

BAD: Wheels are terrible for real world transport. They are fine if the machine is hardly being moved.
APO, I upgraded it to 3 gal, filter now needs a redesign because while the APO now actually works I need to filter incoming debris or the extra suction will clog the filter. 1 gal original never worked, it spit but never flowed correctly.
Vacuum Hose Mounts, they are glued on, one broke off leaving my machine 1/2 working at a Doctors Office. They make plates, using glue makes no sense.
Tanks, I liked See Thru at first. However really isn’t professional working in a million dollar home and seeing garbage clinging to the sides of the machine
Handle, machine simply needs a front handle. The little ledge on front is not adequate to grab a heavy machine
Stacks, no matter if you use de foamer the stacks tend to find water to get into the motors.
Auto Fill, needs to go up higher. I want to fill it and shut off the water source sometimes having the machine full
Fresh Water Discharge, it’s a must.

The Jaguar 8.4 is a carpet machine that cleans very well. It has the ability to be the absolute top of the line ETM. I strongly feel ETMs have major advantages over Gas TMs. But the above list wouldn’t require a lot of redesign just upgrades.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
One more issue that would be easy to fix.
Most machines are made in a way Water couldn’t get in the case of the machine. The design of the tanks allows any splash or error when filling to run down the tanks settling in the case of the machine. Issue there is it will drip on clients floor. A good gasket between the tanks, and around the base would solve that easily.

Did want to say I’m not a part of the crowd. Popular opinion doesn’t steer me in any direction. I did not write this in attempt to gain or lose anyone’s respect. I just think after mths of use the areas of needed improvement would be easy to solve and baffled as to why they haven’t been address after this many years of production.

This machine cleans carpets very well. It amazes me daily. But so does the lack of improvement.

Last edited:

JRH

Mar 16, 2011
Real Name
jr h
Business Location
Ireland {Republic}
BTW , the context of mentioning me at the beginning is because this was part of another thread .
Really though AZ ... these are the points i raised in the past when comparing it to other machines i used .
I said you have to have used it to realize what i was saying was true and not bashing for the sake of it .

Anyway Ed.V will just read this and say ... sorry its great ... heres a letter i got recently from a customer who loves it and has no issues ... (y)

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I mentioned you because you go about slamming and being rude about it having a personal issue. My intent isn’t malicious.

• Wow
Reactions: Ymetimme and JRH

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
But you have mentioned some valid points. IF Ed would turn you into friend then foe, and apply some of your criticism I think it would benefit the product.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
BTW , the context of mentioning me at the beginning is because this was part of another thread .
Really though AZ ... these are the points i raised in the past when comparing it to other machines i used .
I said you have to have used it to realize what i was saying was true and not bashing for the sake of it .

Anyway Ed.V will just read this and say ... sorry its great ... heres a letter i got recently from a customer who loves it and has no issues ... (y)
Well it does function well
But it does have on issues like the fact you have to remove the recovery and or water tanks to do anything to it spilling its contents anywhere and everywhere
Which is something AZ failed to mention

Really it's just gotten old and it's time for a redesign
and likes anything with a cult like following people drink the Kool-Aid I'm guilty as charged
The first time you have to tear it apart you understand it's failings

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Crazy part is I’m not trying to clean things up is the machine functions well. It’s a awesome carpet cleaner. Two 8.4s have a lot of power for extraction. 800 psi is plenty for all I do. But updates and improvements are needed. After taking it in and out all winter I’ve learned a thing or two about pulling it in and out and failures caused by doing do.
Plus collecting a little info from other users.
If a front handle was installed, Higher powered APO, better hose connection on motors, and better wheels just those things along would make it much improved.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Used as a ETM not as a portable I have overcome most "Beefs" except one that was mentioned ... You simply cannot drain it completely.
1. I use the same APO from 10 years past which was on the Recoil.
2. I use Red RTV silicone and steel motor flanges from Interlink for a hose mount .
3. The tie downs hold down the tanks in the trailer...no screws . Truck shell clamps also work well ....no screws.
4. I use a 50 gallon tank so to missing the tank when fillin. However when I do use the Cub and when filling I have no problem hitting the hole . Use a bucket with a spout formed into the rim.
5. Hardly use defoamer . Dont know why water would enter the stacks.
Handle , wheels ,see thru tank etc. are not a concern if used as a ETM . There are better "Portables" that are meant for hauling in and out the Cub being one of them.

Reactions: Ymetimme

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Used as a ETM not as a portable I have overcome most "Beefs" except one that was mentioned ... You simply cannot drain it completely.
1. I use the same APO from 10 years past which was on the Recoil.
2. I use Red RTV silicone and steel motor flanges from Interlink for a hose mount .
3. The tie downs hold down the tanks in the trailer...no screws . Truck shell clamps also work well ....no screws.
4. I use a 50 gallon tank so to missing the tank when fillin. However when I do use the Cub and when filling I have no problem hitting the hole . Use a bucket with a spout formed into the rim.
5. Hardly use defoamer . Dont know why water would enter the stacks.
Handle , wheels ,see thru tank etc. are not a concern if used as a ETM . There are better "Portables" that are meant for hauling in and out the Cub being one of them.
That's if the Cubs not tipping over at random
I like the Cub but you have to admit the front wheels are a little close together and needs a redesign stop drinking the Kool-Aid

Reactions: John LaBarbera

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I like the Cub but you have to admit the front wheels are a little close together and needs a redesign stop drinking the Kool-Aid
Here's a one cord machine that won't tip over
Screenshot_20190407-204118_Chrome.jpg

Lol

Last edited:

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
As a ETM mounted in a truck that certainly would be a advantage. I don’t use it that way at least right now. The winter forced me to use it endlessly removing it and putting it away at night.
It’s not very friendly as far as using it on the move. If kept in the truck I could see the design being much better. But it’s not sold to be stationary.
Glued mounts on the motors don’t seem to hold up to the rigors of going in and out. One actually was not sealed correctly from the day it was made. I’m wondering if that’s why it was sold to me. Air was going into one motor directly. One mount completely fell off.
Wheels are sub par for moving.
APO is dismal at best. I upgraded it to 3 gal and wow made a difference. But now the filter gets clogged up because the APO is working. I also added a inline filter before the pump to help with clogs.
When upgrading from a Powr Flite this machine kicks butt. It’s performance is excellent as far as vac power. And again I love having 800 psi. It’s over all performance is stellar, but design needs upgrading a new platform.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States

Like my Jag my cub is far from stock . Wider larger rear wheels , Domel motor, inline booster thru the lid and tall Tee handle on the back.
For optimum performance I never go over 25' .
I said Cub was one of them that is better than hauling the Jag in and out.
I bought the Recoil/Jag with no intentions other than using it from the curb. Bought the Cub (Kwik Steam) for the booster feature more than a porty. After using the booster and SEEING the results I use a booster 90% of the time (actually a rear booster) ..
Kool aid me ?
YOU should go back and read some of your posts. LOL.

Reactions: Fedri and Ymetimme

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Like my Jag my cub is far from stock . Wider larger rear wheels , Domel motor, inline booster thru the lid and tall Tee handle on the back.
For optimum performance I never go over 25' .
I said Cub was one of them that is better than hauling the Jag in and out.
I bought the Recoil/Jag with no intentions other than using it from the curb. Bought the Cub (Kwik Steam) for the booster feature more than a porty. After using the booster and SEEING the results I use a booster 90% of the time (actually a rear booster) ..
Kool aid me ?
YOU should go back and read some of your posts. LOL.
Your a class act.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I’ve not owned a Cub. But the 8.4 is a excellent cleaning machine. With a few updates I think it could be awesome. Compared to my previous machines it’s proven itself to be a awesome carpet cleaner.
But there’s some flaws.
I’ve never had the 8.4 tip over.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
W

What a nice machine. Good price too. :)
I got to tell you the truth John I don't know how you can sell it at that price?(maybe just breaking even)

I've been looking into manufacturing in producing products it's expensive to say the least

I don't think people really appreciate the true cost behind manufacturing. The margins are slim and every time you make an advancement it cost a great deal!!!

It just really proves why so many manufacturers are reluctant to make any changes!!!

It's nice when manufacturers make changes based on customer suggestions and constructive criticism.