Crease in 50k rug - How to get it out

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Yes Lynn. And we had another one come in that has a crease all down from top to bottom. We thought about trying to steam it out. Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

Lynn Tall

Jul 2, 2013
Saugus, MA
www.rugadvocate.com
Real Name
Lynn Tall
Business Location
United States
Yes Lynn. And we had another one come in that has a crease all down from top to bottom. We thought about trying to steam it out. Your thoughts?

Thanks Rob! :)

What kind of rug is it this time? Had it been folded?

Jun 8, 2008
San Diego
renaissance-carpet.com
Real Name
Tom Patnode
The Rug Rx show that I do with Nate & Paul is just us. We do it about once a month or we'll do a shorter version if Barry or Stephen need to fill time. It's become pretty popular (thankfully!). I collect photos of some of the most common "issues" that rug cleaners are having and put them onto slides for my "experts" to discuss and give solutions for. I really do encourage you to check it out! You'll hear something useful, I'm sure!

Nathan is the person I call when I need help. I've known him for nearly 20 years and can say that he is absolutely the best and most fearless hands-on rug washer I've ever known. Log on and get to know him! Expand your network :)
Oh I have missed this completely. I just visit rug lovers night. Its been so long I forget what night things happen. I need to start doing both nights. But I also need more hours in the day.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Thanks Rob! :)

What kind of rug is it this time? Had it been folded?
Yes the tech said it was folded. I am getting more rugs in than I can handle and running into odd questions/problems. Would you mind asking Nate if you two could address these for me? I'll post up 2-3 a week. Thx

Lynn Tall

Jul 2, 2013
Saugus, MA
www.rugadvocate.com
Real Name
Lynn Tall
Business Location
United States
Yes the tech said it was folded. I am getting more rugs in than I can handle and running into odd questions/problems. Would you mind asking Nate if you two could address these for me? I'll post up 2-3 a week. Thx

Rob, feel free to email me as needed if you need answers on the fly! Lynn@rugadvocate.com
Also, since I'm the one putting the slides together for Rug Rx, I'll snag anything you'd like me to use for my experts' opinions. Just let me know. :)

Lynn Tall

Jul 2, 2013
Saugus, MA
www.rugadvocate.com
Real Name
Lynn Tall
Business Location
United States
Oh I have missed this completely. I just visit rug lovers night. Its been so long I forget what night things happen. I need to start doing both nights. But I also need more hours in the day.
Rug Lovers College is still every Wednesday - except for when they give us our Rug Rx night :)
See you there!

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
Funny, I just looked at a dining room rug that had bunched up in the center, under the dining room table, It looked to be sticking up at least an inch high.
The woman said it did that after it was steam cleaned on site.
I wish I had taken pics, but I was there to estimate the wall to wall, and she just casually mentioned this issue.
I looked at the back, and it had a fabric covering, so I could not see the actual back of the rug itself.
She said it was a fairly expensive rug, but they were in a $200-500k development, so I don't know what she considered expensive.
I never heard back from her, so I'm assuming she went with the carpet cleaner who was $20 less than my already discounted price. lol
And she wonders why the last guy ruined her rug?
Any ideas on this one?

Lynn Tall

Jul 2, 2013
Saugus, MA
www.rugadvocate.com
Real Name
Lynn Tall
Business Location
United States
Funny, I just looked at a dining room rug that had bunched up in the center, under the dining room table, It looked to be sticking up at least an inch high.
The woman said it did that after it was steam cleaned on site.
I wish I had taken pics, but I was there to estimate the wall to wall, and she just casually mentioned this issue.
I looked at the back, and it had a fabric covering, so I could not see the actual back of the rug itself.
She said it was a fairly expensive rug, but they were in a $200-500k development, so I don't know what she considered expensive.
I never heard back from her, so I'm assuming she went with the carpet cleaner who was $20 less than my already discounted price. lol
And she wonders why the last guy ruined her rug?
Any ideas on this one?

I've *always* got ideas! :)
In this case, I'm going to guess that the cloth backing stayed too wet for too long and shrunk up causing a hump in the rug. It's fixable if you remove the lining and replace it with a pre-washed one. Lots of issues come up during drying, which is why I always suggest cleaning rugs off-location. Even if you clean using HWE, you should still control dry soil removal and drying time whenever possible.

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
I've *always* got ideas! :)
In this case, I'm going to guess that the cloth backing stayed too wet for too long and shrunk up causing a hump in the rug. It's fixable if you remove the lining and replace it with a pre-washed one. Lots of issues come up during drying, which is why I always suggest cleaning rugs off-location. Even if you clean using HWE, you should still control dry soil removal and drying time whenever possible.
It's hard to describe what I saw, but it was as if you pinched the rug to cause it to go vertical about an inch high, then sharply back down.
My first impression was that a heavy piece of furniture had been slid and forced the rug to a peak, with a crease at the top of the peak.
Yet it was just a dr table rug, with no such heavy furniture on it other than the table itself.
I should know to always take pics, duh. lol
Maybe I'll call her back, and see if she wants it fixed, take pics, and talk to you about it. I did find the label, but all I remember is that it was made in China, and it had that soft fabric backing.
This was only 2 days ago.

Lynn Tall

Jul 2, 2013
Saugus, MA
www.rugadvocate.com
Real Name
Lynn Tall
Business Location
United States
It's hard to describe what I saw, but it was as if you pinched the rug to cause it to go vertical about an inch high, then sharply back down.
My first impression was that a heavy piece of furniture had been slid and forced the rug to a peak, with a crease at the top of the peak.
Yet it was just a dr table rug, with no such heavy furniture on it other than the table itself.
I should know to always take pics, duh. lol
Maybe I'll call her back, and see if she wants it fixed, take pics, and talk to you about it. I did find the label, but all I remember is that it was made in China, and it had that soft fabric backing.
This was only 2 days ago.

Call her up and tell her you've been thinking about her rug - how to try and solve the problem for her. She'll love that.
Let her know you have expert friends in the industry who you've contacted about her rug and that you have some ideas.
No harm in trying...

EcoClean

Aug 14, 2013
Real Name
N. Smith
I come from a family or rugs. That rug is not worth 50k. Might have been appraised at 50k by some hole in the wall appraiser. Be careful.

SpongoBongo

Jun 29, 2011
PA
Real Name
Barry O'Connell
Business Location
United States
Good point about appraisers, not all appraisals are legit. If things go south and you have to buy a rug be very careful. Many store give phony appraisals for 5 to 10 times cost on rugs. They give them a piece of paper that says it is a $50,000 rug and you only paid $4,995. Any real appraiser can size that up easily and give you the real price. On that $50K rug. It may only have a replacement value of 4$K and a fair market value of $1K. I know good cleaners scammed by crooked appraisals. I regularly appraise Starks at a replacement value of $35,000 to $40,000 and a fair market value of $500. Which would you rather pay.

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
We deal with this all the time. Steam iron set on wool, work from the back. No need to tack out IMO.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using TMF Forums mobile app
How much time and what do you charge?

nathan544

Oct 10, 2013
Time depends upon how big the crease is, and if there's pile distortion as well to deal with. I usually don't charge anything extra, but if it's preexisting, and you fix it, maybe an extra $100 or so? If they are a good client, comp it...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using TMF Forums mobile app