CRB VS.............HEAT!!! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

CRB VS.............HEAT!!!

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Jet size is one part of it, the rest depends on all the other parts. 3/8" solution hose holds double the amount of water already pressurized, this is large. Test your equipment and see where you are at. Removing all your jets and measure flow through the wand for an idea of your system gross output in it's current configuration vs open flow with the same amount of solution line. This will help you determine what to upgrade. 1 gpm is not ideal, 1.25 will be great, 1.5 is heavenly and a lot less labor.
"1.5 is heavenly and a lot less labor."

And, I think you mentioned guys with lx machines (air hog lx) can recover this increased flow without creating longer dry times. If so, sounds like something worth pursuing.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I would keep your psi around 300 or so with a porty... higher psi especially with your mach wand (jets are very close to the carpet) you'll start to inject too much water into the backing on some carpet types... that will definitely cause some over wetting.

With pretty much all carpets your only cleaning about 1 inch of a fiber, you don't need tons of water to do that you just need to efficiently release/suspend the soil and then rinse it away... ideally with the best dry times possible.

If your cleaning some really hardcore nasty carpet then the attack can be different and your 360 is probably the better tool
How close is too close for jets and carpet?

I have pretty much always used 400psi because that is what kicks on my heater.

I think its Olefin's and Poly's that dont absorb water as well as others so run the risk of the water dropping down to the backing..

I have the custom VT from Wanders with his HSK. ..I will go see what distance my jets are from the carpet as least to know and be aware of.

BTW, kind of sounds like you disagree with Jim Davisson about increased flow cleaning better..true?

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Jim I did not even think of removing all my jets for a gross output!! I will do that and record the numbers as well.
I keep thinking theres gotta be a little more there if I'm getting the same output from 3-500 psi.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
"1.5 is heavenly and a lot less labor."

And, I think you mentioned guys with lx machines (air hog lx) can recover this increased flow without creating longer dry times. If so, sounds like something worth pursuing.
Yes, LX can recover 1.75 gpm just fine at even 150' and at 50' I don't really need a dry pass. It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. With one dry pass you will have exactly the same dry times that you have now... you will just do less strokes. I have 100% belief in this because I use equipment like this everyday in the humid southeast.

Here's the thing though, you will need to find out yourself and not believe me or anyone else on the internet. The equipment you already own is capable of much more than when it came to you brand new, it just takes some homework and effort to see it.

BTW, every pump I have ever tested gains .25 gpm by simply pressure feeding it, vs letting it pull in the water on its own. It's a very simple, easy gain.

Reactions: Fedri

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Yes, LX can recover 1.75 gpm just fine at even 150' and at 50' I don't really need a dry pass. It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. With one dry pass you will have exactly the same dry times that you have now... you will just do less strokes. I have 100% belief in this because I use equipment like this everyday in the humid southeast.

Here's the thing though, you will need to find out yourself and not believe me or anyone else on the internet. The equipment you already own is capable of much more than when it came to you brand new, it just takes some homework and effort to see it.

BTW, every pump I have ever tested gains .25 gpm by simply pressure feeding it, vs letting it pull in the water on its own. It's a very simple, easy gain.
Jim do the "truckmount" Wands come with 3/8 hose already??
Curious if I can order the devastator wand with 3/8.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States

Good deal, appreciate it.

I run AF to my water hog. That considered pressure feeding it?

Reactions: Andreas 1

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
How close is too close for jets and carpet?

I have pretty much always used 400psi because that is what kicks on my heater.

I think its Olefin's and Poly's that dont absorb water as well as others so run the risk of the water dropping down to the backing..

I have the custom VT from Wanders with his HSK. ..I will go see what distance my jets are from the carpet as least to know and be aware of.

BTW, kind of sounds like you disagree with Jim Davisson about increased flow cleaning better..true?
The VT wand is a good wand we ran them for about 5-6 years. How close is too close just depends on the heat and pressure your running, also sometimes you might wand to play with the HSK depending on the carpet your cleaning. Also the angle you hold the wand and your height will change how close the jets hit the carpet.

I value Jim's opinion on some things and he's a smart guy but I don't agree with the 3/8in hose being necessary for higher flow cleaning, also every TM manufacturer that I know of disagrees and even the biggest of TMs capable of 18+ flow still sell their units with 1/4in hose. I've cleaned with these units before and they move a ton of water through those lines.

Reactions: Fedri

sunrisecarpet951

Apr 9, 2016
Real Name
Allan
I'll get a lot of shit for this, but I've posted it before. I had a lady with a standard residential polyester carpet and 5 dogs.

I vacuumed, pre-sprayed, CRB, and wanded the carpet. Didn't look too great to me so I pulled out the Rotovac. DID NOT PRESPRAY AGAIN. Just simply the rotovac.

Pulled the dirt right out. Was able to write "Hello" in her carpet with the rotovac when the wand barely improved it. Sometimes its flushing power and not so much scrubbing that matters.
Switch those stock portable jets on the 360 to 2.5’s or 3’s and you love it even more. Higher flow, better heat and better dry times

SMCommerical

Feb 8, 2018
Real Name
Mike C
Jet size is one part of it, the rest depends on all the other parts. 3/8" solution hose holds double the amount of water already pressurized, this is large. Test your equipment and see where you are at. Removing all your jets and measure flow through the wand for an idea of your system gross output in it's current configuration vs open flow with the same amount of solution line. This will help you determine what to upgrade. 1 gpm is not ideal, 1.25 will be great, 1.5 is heavenly and a lot less labor.
With all your knowledge of motors and configurations, if you weren't doing carpets, you would probably be working for some truck mount company putting together rigs.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Customer called with an emergency, entire can of paint spilled on the carpet.

Once again the wand didnt do much, Rotovac 360 took 85% of it right out.

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Update:
Screens did not change a thing!! Screens are not slowing water flow at all.
Removed jets. Maybe 3/4 of a cup more water! Over one gallon now with all jets removed.
I will do measuring this week to get exact quantities.
A 2 jet will give me more flow for sure.
You are talking small quantities here. Ounces as Jim claimed.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall

Ya paint is definitely another situation where a 360 does amazing.

When we have a customer call with a paint spill emergency we tell them to dilute a few drops of dish soap in a spray bottle, soak down the spill area, and cover it with saran wrap until we get there.

This keeps it from drying out and 100% removal is a lot more likely

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
The VT wand is a good wand we ran them for about 5-6 years. How close is too close just depends on the heat and pressure your running, also sometimes you might wand to play with the HSK depending on the carpet your cleaning. Also the angle you hold the wand and your height will change how close the jets hit the carpet.

I value Jim's opinion on some things and he's a smart guy but I don't agree with the 3/8in hose being necessary for higher flow cleaning, also every TM manufacturer that I know of disagrees and even the biggest of TMs capable of 18+ flow still sell their units with 1/4in hose. I've cleaned with these units before and they move a ton of water through those lines.

Get any more out or the 85%?

Last edited:

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
0 '2s can super soak carpets and the dry times will suffer .
I'm very happy with the OEM jet size of 0'1s and 6 jets for cleaning and my dry times are super .
0'1s turned up do real good .

Reactions: Clean-n-mean

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
I'm very happy with the OEM jet size of 0'1s and 6 jets for cleaning and my dry times are super .
I can always adjust with my valve....

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
My sweet spot is 7.5 flow and 450-500psi we only drop about 40psi with wand triggered.

Awesome heat, cuts dirt/oil like butter and dry times are short.

Dry times can be deceiving remember, u can feel the surface of the carpet and it may be relatively dry but the backing and deeper down is soaked.

Reactions: Joe cool

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
With all your knowledge of motors and configurations, if you weren't doing carpets, you would probably be working for some truck mount company putting together rigs.
The longer I do this the more I see the need for personalized equipment.

Negative, even wands sold with aero techs set up for 18 flow come with 1/4in line.
18 flow and 200' of 1/4" line is impossible, you know that right (never seen an AT without stacked reels). Just because it's a $100k aerotech doesn't mean it can do things no other setup can.

Honestly, this is why I said before that I take a beating for talking about it. I get hammered by guys with zero experience actually cleaning with this method. If you are super happy with your setup as is, that's great. I wasn't, like many others and made measured and calculated moves to improve it and definitely couldn't go back. We have virtually ZERO drying, wicking or topical pet treatment callbacks and I follow up with customers the next day, every time.

If a brand new air hog lx guy needs help to bump up flow to 1.5 gpm he's not going to be flooding carpet at 100'. If someone else with a clapped out janky TM that's hemorrhaging vacuum at every connection was wanting to go 2 gpm+, yeah that's not going to be advisable. There are multitudes of options out there and you definitely do not have to do what 4 guys in a room in Chandler, AZ think you should for the rest of your life.

Reactions: Clean-n-mean