CRB VS.............HEAT!!! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

CRB VS.............HEAT!!!

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Watched a Truman Steamers video earlier this evening.
He professed with the proper chemistry he did NOT need to use a CRB machine.
He said his heat would take the place of a CRB.
I did notice he really had to slow the wand down. Slower then what I run my wand at after using my CRB.
So slow, I'm wondering if he would have just CRB'd it the time difference would have been marginal and the carpets would have turned out better!
What do you guys think??

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
In my opinion i would have busted out the CRB in a heartbeat after looking this carpet over. However I dont have the machine or hest he has either....

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
BTW, when I get a trashed carpet like that I just go over it like he does, THEN I prespray and CRB. So he just did the first step.

Just today cleaned after another so called professional.

Reactions: Clean-n-mean

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
BTW, when I get a trashed carpet like that I just go over it like he does, THEN I prespray and CRB. So he just did the first step.

Just today cleaned after another so called professional.
Wow!!! So you prespray twice???

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
In my opinion i would have busted out the CRB in a heartbeat after looking this carpet over. However I dont have the machine or hest he has either....

Look
There's a thousand ways of skinning a cat.
But me personally I don't care for his way.
He needed to use some form of agitation I don't feel the carpet was getting thoroughly cleaned.

I would have vacuumed pretreated and use my rotovac 360i but that's just me he also charges less than I do

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Look
There's a thousand ways of skinning a cat.
But me personally I don't care for his way.
He needed to use some form of agitation I don't feel the carpet was getting thoroughly cleaned.

I would have vacuumed pretreated and use my rotovac 360i but that's just me he also charges less than I do
Theres not a thousand ways to make it look it's best and cleanest for the customer! Theres only one way to make it look better then all the other ways in a considerable amount of time!!!
Sucking dirt is one thing, making it look pretty and satisfying the customer is another.
Just my opinion of course.....

Reactions: mrotto

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat

This guy always pre vacuums, also if you look at his way of rinsing is inch by inch of moving, this means getting most of the dirt out vs any other cleaner out there. Pre scrubbing is great but that is old school now, today's advanced pre sprays tmf products does soften the dirt, all you need to do is rinse it very well like this guy does, how do I know this? Well cleaning tiles proves me this where the filthy grout lines are cutting like butter without pre scrub, all it requires is high heat and 700-800 psi of pressure, with carpet all I have to do is pre treat certain stains and most likely brush them, but these days no one should pre scrub dirt as long as you use the right product and the dwelling time. However I would pre scrub if the carpet contained tons of stains and spots, but waist of time if it contains only dirt.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Int
This guy always pre vacuums, also if you look at his way of rinsing is inch by inch of moving, this means getting most of the dirt out vs any other cleaner out there. Pre scrubbing is great but that is old school now, today's advanced pre sprays tmf products does soften the dirt, all you need to do is rinse it very well like this guy does, how do I know this? Well cleaning tiles proves me this where the filthy grout lines are cutting like butter without pre scrub, all it requires is high heat and 700-800 psi of pressure, with carpet all I have to do is pre treat certain stains and most likely brush them, but these days no one should pre scrub dirt as long as you use the right product and the dwelling time. However I would pre scrub if the carpet contained tons of stains and spots, but waist of time if it contains only dirt.
Interesting to read this..

Reactions: Fedri

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
In the end there is no "right" answer. A CRB or Rotovac PROBABLY would've resulted in a deeper clean in this particular situation.

Reactions: mrotto

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
Watched a Truman Steamers video earlier this evening.
He professed with the proper chemistry he did NOT need to use a CRB machine.
He said his heat would take the place of a CRB.
I did notice he really had to slow the wand down. Slower then what I run my wand at after using my CRB.
So slow, I'm wondering if he would have just CRB'd it the time difference would have been marginal and the carpets would have turned out better!
What do you guys think??
In other videos he says he lets the CRB do the work after he lays the prespray then he cleans with the wand. Both ways are legit.

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
I'm not saying anything bad at all about courtney. I like him and his videos. Hes very professional.
My beef was how slow he had to do his strokes in this video to remove the dirt.
When I use my CRB the dirt becomes very uniform and the carpet one color. That's because it all suspended and broken down because it's been scrubbed loose from the fibers.
And I agree, CRB would have been a deeper cleaning.
Also, CRB would have ate up the dwell time as well. No dwell time needed......

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
I'll get a lot of shit for this, but I've posted it before. I had a lady with a standard residential polyester carpet and 5 dogs.

I vacuumed, pre-sprayed, CRB, and wanded the carpet. Didn't look too great to me so I pulled out the Rotovac. DID NOT PRESPRAY AGAIN. Just simply the rotovac.

Pulled the dirt right out. Was able to write "Hello" in her carpet with the rotovac when the wand barely improved it. Sometimes its flushing power and not so much scrubbing that matters.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I'll get a lot of shit for this, but I've posted it before. I had a lady with a standard residential polyester carpet and 5 dogs.

I vacuumed, pre-sprayed, CRB, and wanded the carpet. Didn't look too great to me so I pulled out the Rotovac. DID NOT PRESPRAY AGAIN. Just simply the rotovac.

Pulled the dirt right out. Was able to write "Hello" in her carpet with the rotovac when the wand barely improved it. Sometimes its flushing power and not so much scrubbing that matters.
I agree 100% Once you are setup for high flow wanding it's very hard to step down. I had to run 1/4" solution line for 2 weeks and hated every second of it.

Reactions: Jimsteam and Fedri

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
I agree 100% Once you are setup for high flow wanding it's very hard to step down. I had to run 1/4" solution line for 2 weeks and hated every second of it.
Jim what do you consider high flow??? 400 psi and above??

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
PSI has nothing to do with flow in this context. You should know this by now. You can have 100002838473 PSI at .1 gallon per minute.
High flow with a wand is 8+gpm. I think jim uses like 12. Flow is one more thing portables tend to be inferior at. Jim has worked around it.

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
PSI has nothing to do with flow in this context. You should know this by now. You can have 100002838473 PSI at .1 gallon per minute.
High flow with a wand is 8+gpm. I think jim uses like 12. Flow is one more thing portables tend to be inferior at. Jim has worked around it.
So your talking jet size

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States

I could be wrong, but it appears that carpet wasn't pre-treated or the treatment dried out before they got to it. I have never used a crb and likely never will. Our main goal is ALWAYS to do an excellent job and have a very satisfied customer. I don't always even use the Rotovac, but it would be used on a carpet like that just because it makes the job easier and quicker for me to get from point A (filthy dirty) to point B (as clean as humanly possible). I don't walk away from a job if I haven't got it the best I can.

Btw, some carpets will clean up surprisingly easy even w/o a lot of the fuss and muss we cleaners like to add for dog and pony. I've been cleaning long enough to know what I need to do to get it done right and not kill myself in the process! All I can say is I thank God for rotary extractors as well as some good chems! I let the rotoray extractor do the bulk of the real cleaning first and spend a few minutes lining out each room with a wand. If I feel the wand is all that's needed I do go that route sometimes even on pretty trashed carpets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Jim what do you consider high flow??? 400 psi and above??
Above 1.5 gpm is high flow. Running 3/8" on the portable I'm at 1.75 gpm @150 psi keyed through the wand. I can get above that with the TM if I want with 3/8" from the TM pump to the wand. Typically I set the pressure at 300 psi keyed. I don't always need it, but have it when needed. The ball valve on the solution line is always there to choke the flow if necessary. We clean 25% faster and do less strokes per hour, day, year which is great as I age.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States

If it weren't for rotary extractors I would have been defeated by a LOT of jobs over the years. I don't know how I ever made it w/o them. For many years I was mainly cleaning wonderful nylon which to this day is still the easiest to clean carpet in the world. Now it's polyester, some olefin, and a much more rare nylon and extremely rare wool in my area at least. Wool is even better than nylon IMHO. Both wool and nylon are almost always the easiest to clean, but also the easiest to get permanent stains and bleached out spots. If it weren't for the advent of rotary extractors I might have taken up flipping burgers a long time ago. It was like a culture shock to me when polys made their way into my area. It was a whole new ball game to me. I never had any real problem with olefin, but some of the newer polys were a whole different story.