Crap talking customers

Dirtmaster

Jan 28, 2011
FL
Real Name
Damion Raburn
Business Location
United States
So i did a job Monday that has basically been a foreclosed cat toilet for about 3 years . I explained to the guy there was really nothing that can be done besides replacing the carpet but he said he couldn't pay that and opted to have it cleaned. I gave him a written estimate for $550 and he call later to set the appointment up.. After finishing his job he told me that he thought it was only $300 and refused to pay any more than that ... That really ticked me off as it took me 5 hours to clean this place and I already knew what the outcome was going to be and i explained to him but yet he still has called me 20 times today talking trash and even cursing saying that I caused the odor and its even worse now.. we shouldn't be in business blah blah blah blah blah blah and then comes out the F word.. I stopped him right there and I said look here sir I don't know how you do it where you're from but where I come from we don't curse at people I treat you with respect and you treat me me with respect.. I also told him I would re clean the carpet at no charge even though he didnt pay what he was supposed to but honestly its not going to help the problem... He continues to go on cursing and cursing and finally I said you know with the way your acting we are not going to do any more work for you or reclean the carpet at all.. I'm sure this is a bad review in the making.. What do you guys think would you go back and do work for somebody who talks to you like crap.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using TMF Forums mobile app

Dirtmaster

Jan 28, 2011
FL
Real Name
Damion Raburn
Business Location
United States
Wouldnt you be better off refunding him his money rather than spending another 5 hours out there?
I aleady spent 5 hrs there ..refund him his money now ?? I told this guy prior to starting that the only way I can remove any odor is if I remove everything that has odor in it

mikedsmith

Jun 14, 2014
Did you write on invoice what expected outcome would be? Only what us in writing (with their signing off) is what matters. Not always necessary but some people you can't win with. Never hurts to have photos & black light inspection too. I wouldn't give him back any $ though. Whatever you do he will probably bad mouth you anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
If you just did a topical treatment then you probably did make the smell worse..

Did you not have a work order estimate that you originally gave him with the price and that same invoice when you were there during the cleaning? If so, just call the cops for theft of service.

In regards to what we would do..

I wouldn't put my company in that position.. he would have documentation saying that the cleaning most likely won't take care of the odor problem, so there is no guarantees and only one courtesy callback and he would have a price.

If he did call back with an odor issue still I would go back out there and do the topical treatment again.. of course priced knowing that I might need to go back a second time.

I wouldn't let the dudes word affect me, I find people like that funny.

Reactions: dirtsucker

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I guess I'm too nice and after 4 years in business I see being Mr Nice Guy get you nowhere !

You haven't been in business long enough to handle it the way it needed to be handled. I let people run all over me for my first 7 years in business before I got back in their face and called their bluff. You'll learn Danialson...You'll learn.

Reactions: vader

Dirtmaster

Jan 28, 2011
FL
Real Name
Damion Raburn
Business Location
United States
No I didn't do just a topical treatment I actually flushed the padding in multiple areas and applied a topical treatment.. Prior to getting the job I walked through the house with the customer with my black like and he was amazed you could even see where the cats peed and scratched it into the carpet with their paws.. I normally have the customer sign a disclaimer prior to starting a job like this but since I didn't do the job the same day and went back I totally forgot about it I've been kicking myself all morning for that. There was absolutely no smell when I left the property but he doesn't live there its vacant and I'm pretty sure he closed it up and left with no air conditioning running or air circulation I'm sure that made things worse

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
So i did a job Monday that has basically been a foreclosed cat toilet for about 3 years . I explained to the guy there was really nothing that can be done besides replacing the carpet

There is your answer right there :rolleyes:. You should have walked at that point. I am starting to say no more lately. Life is going better and profit is going up because I am not trying to correct some jacka$$'s problem. Which always takes more time, cleaning product, etc. then you expected. And then they don't want to pay.

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
There is your answer right there :rolleyes:. You should have walked at that point. I am starting to say no more lately. Life is going better and profit is going up because I am not trying to correct some jacka$$'s problem. Which always takes more time, cleaning product, etc. then you expected. And then they don't want to pay.

Benefit of being busy also. No is my second favorite word next to pizza.

I am also more and more against doing any kind of pet staining or odors. Turned down 2 this week, complete nightmares.

Reactions: Harry Mullett

dirtsucker

Jan 19, 2011
fulton
Real Name
Ed Ware
Business Location
United States
I wouldn't have walked from it but everything would have been documented. Always have a signed work order with price and expectations spelled out. If I had a signed work with my price and he refused to pay we would be going to court. You could try theft of services but some cops will try to make it a civil matter.

Reactions: Troyster

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
I wouldn't have walked from it but everything would have been documented. Always have a signed work order with price and expectations spelled out. If I had a signed work with my price and he refused to pay we would be going to court. You could try theft of services but some cops will try to make it a civil matter.

How much work & energy do you want to put into recovering unpaid money? Or dealing with an unhappy customer? People really need to look at the energy expended to make money and the easiest possible way to make money. Fighting with customers is not the way to do it. Sometimes it is better to walk away.

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
No I didn't do just a topical treatment I actually flushed the padding in multiple areas and applied a topical treatment.. Prior to getting the job I walked through the house with the customer with my black like and he was amazed you could even see where the cats peed and scratched it into the carpet with their paws.. I normally have the customer sign a disclaimer prior to starting a job like this but since I didn't do the job the same day and went back I totally forgot about it I've been kicking myself all morning for that. There was absolutely no smell when I left the property but he doesn't live there its vacant and I'm pretty sure he closed it up and left with no air conditioning running or air circulation I'm sure that made things worse

In a way he was right though.. you probably did make the problem worse. I know that adding water to a bacterial issue will only make matters worse if its not effectively taken care of. This sounds like a case where you may never fully be able to remove that odor unless you start replacing the pad and sealing the subfloor.

So his grief was justified in a stupid way.. the house wasn't properly dried when you left and seems like the instructions weren't given on how to properly let the rest of the carpet dry out. I don't think you took care of the original odor either, it was just masked by the perfumed used in your deodorizer. Did you use an acid to dissolve the urine salts? That can trap odor for years..

I can understand his frustration, the carpets do probably smell A LOT worse.. so it comes down to how do you handle it knowing what you know. He already established alpha male dominance over you by making you take $250 less than what you were suppose to make.. if it was me I would go back and talk to him face to face.. let my nut drop by getting my $250 that I am OWED and taking care of the worsen odor issue. Roosevelt said "Speak softly and carry a big stick" .. be professional but don't back down when you are being wronged. The way you can "right" yourself is by having stronger procedures to prevent this in the future..

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
In a way he was right though.. you probably did make the problem worse. I know that adding water to a bacterial issue will only make matters worse if its not effectively taken care of. This sounds like a case where you may never fully be able to remove that odor unless you start replacing the pad and sealing the subfloor.

So his grief was justified in a stupid way.. the house wasn't properly dried when you left and seems like the instructions weren't given on how to properly let the rest of the carpet dry out. I don't think you took care of the original odor either, it was just masked by the perfumed used in your deodorizer. Did you use an acid to dissolve the urine salts? That can trap odor for years..

I can understand his frustration, the carpets do probably smell A LOT worse.. so it comes down to how do you handle it knowing what you know. He already established alpha male dominance over you by making you take $250 less than what you were suppose to make.. if it was me I would go back and talk to him face to face.. let my nut drop by getting my $250 that I am OWED and taking care of the worsen odor issue. Roosevelt said "Speak softly and carry a big stick" .. be professional but don't back down when you are being wronged. The way you can "right" yourself is by having stronger procedures to prevent this in the future..
Please brother.. He declined replacement of the carpet how in heaven this AH was going to pay for the complete decontamination. It only takes to be an absolute idiot or an AH to not understand the words there is nothing that could be done. At that point If one says clean it any way that means one understands the original problem is not going to be solved.
This SOB is a predator he smelled the fear and lack of experience on the OP and took advantage of him.

OP go back to that house with a couple of guys call his bluff and pick up the rest of your money or forget about it

Shit lately my i'm feeling like I'm going back to my early 20's. does this mean I'm getting old??