Couple Questions About Scotchguard

Apr 7, 2009
Central PA (814) Area Code
Real Name
Chad Smith & Jennifer Fogleman
Business Location
United States
I remodeled a room in my house and put black carpet in there that is not stain resistant. My question, is it OK to put Scotchguard on it even though I didn't just clean it? Its been about 1.5 years since I put It in there and the room gets very little traffic and appears to look new still. Or am I making it worse putting it on without cleaning?
Also Just cleaned my dining room and sprayed Scotchguard on it and it seems like it is taking longer to dry. Is that normal since I pretty much put a gallon of water (+1/4gal scotchguard) on it?

Pete&Val

Mar 8, 2009
Henry Il.
Real Name
Pete Peterson
Business Location
United States
Protector

I use Maxim Advance Protector Its low moisture dilution rate is 1 part Maxim 2parts water 400 to 800 sf depending on the pile. It does take longer to dry but not as long as the 1 to 4 or 1to 5 ratio. Less water to get rid of. I've never put protector on a carpet that I hadn't cleaned so I can't answer that ?

Apr 7, 2009
Real Name
Business Location
United States
so you sprayed a gallon and 1/4 of liquid on your carpet how big was this room.to me that is way to much,and youare using a pump up sprayer right

The room is 11ft. by 18ft and a small hallway and they were both empty. Came out to about 225 sq. ft and 1 1/4 gal of scotchgard goes 250 sq. ft so I might have used a little extra but not much. When I was done covering the room I had barely any left and put more on the traffic areas so I didn't waste it. It just seems like it is taking longer to dry than when I don't use it.
Yes I was using a pump up sprayer.

Apr 7, 2009
Real Name
Business Location
United States
It's going to take longer to dry. You sprayed 1 1/4-1 1/2 gal of liquid on the carpet.
Did you think it was going to dry faster?

I didn't think it was going to dry faster but its been almost 24hrs and still not dry. I was just a little concerned. I've never used it before.

Matt Strader

Feb 7, 2009
Jupiter, Fl
www.561carpetandtile.com
Real Name
Matthew Strader
Business Location
United States
I didn't think it was going to dry faster but its been almost 24hrs and still not dry. I was just a little concerned. I've never used it before.

That seems kind of long. Do you have your air off? I would get some air moving across the carpet. Fans, AC, blowers... etc.

TITAN PROFESSIONAL

Jul 9, 2009
wichita falls tx
Real Name
robert gamez
Business Location
United States
i usually use what u used on a whole house lr 3 br with furn,i apply evenly not soaking you dont want to soak the carpet with it .thats just how i do it.i dont go by the bottle directions of how much it will cover i use my own judgement.just try different thing till u get the result u want

Apr 7, 2009
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Did you rake the protector in, to even it out across the fibers? And like Matt said, you need some air moving across the carpet. :AddEmoticons04233:

Good Luck!

Yes I did rake it in and I have a huge dehumidifier over right now.
The carpet was almost dry when I put it on so maybe I will use less next time.

jwellsii

Sep 14, 2008
FL.
www.dbgcarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
John Wells
Business Location
United States
Yes it’s better to apply after cleaning it helps to open the fibers up to except the protector better. This is why it’s better to practice in your own home before going to the clients home. Good Job! :AddEmoticons0423:

Experience The DIFFERENCE a PRO Can Make!
Dirt-B-Gone
John

C Spot Stop

Jul 10, 2007
Space Coast sunny Florida
Real Name
Phil
Business Location
United States
What type of carpet?

what was the pH?

Damp carpet will always absorb more and even out better than dry carpet will.

Rake means in all directions and in-between spraying.

Not using it by the directions means not getting protection.

I will ad tons to dry-times. Like ten fold. That is to be expected.

That is why we should charge so much more for it.

Apr 7, 2009
Real Name
Business Location
United States
What type of carpet?

what was the pH?

Damp carpet will always absorb more and even out better than dry carpet will.

Rake means in all directions and in-between spraying.

Not using it by the directions means not getting protection.

I will ad tons to dry-times. Like ten fold. That is to be expected.

That is why we should charge so much more for it.

The carpet is nylon and the prespray I used has a ph of 9.2. I didn't use any rinses. When I raked it in I did it in multiple directions but I'm not sure what you mean by in-between spraying. I just put it on and raked it in really good.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Over wetting with Scotchgard

The dilution ratio on the Scotchgard container I pretty accurate, but the application of that mix will vary. What you are trying to do is put a coating on each of the fibers. I know it says that 1 gallon covers 200 sq. ft., but is the carpet a very dense pile or a very short one? There are also variations in how many fibers there are in a square inch.If you are spraying it on a thicker pile carpet is will likely take the recommended amount, but will take less on a shorter and less dense carpet. I have come to the conclusion that an even spray applied across the room or area is the best way to go to avoid over wetting issue like you are experiencing. I have the Professional Application videos made by 3 M and that is the way they do it. If you heavily saturate some areas you are asking for trouble. Also, you really need air movers or a down draft fan if you are going to apply it and get it dry reasonably fast. If you don't have them then use any means you have at your disposal to get some air moving in the room or open windows and doors. If you follow proper cleaning techniques and your equipment has adequate vacuum you should be able to apply Scotchgard and get the carpet dry in only a few hours. I think the biggest mistake you made was applying more than your carpet really needed so it was soaked. While some carpets may need the full gallon per 200 sq. ft. others may need perhaps only 3 quarts and some even less. I've been there and done that too so I'm talking from experience and common sense. All carpet types are not the same in either lenth of fibers or density of fibers so how on earth can you apply the same amount in every situation? Does that make sense? Apply an even coating and get some air movers on it and you won't have a problem. If you don't already have it you might want to get the Applicator Success Kit from Jon Don. It will show how they do it and I guarantee they are not applying 1 gallon per 200 sq. ft.!!! Remember this, you are coating the fibers, not soaking them.
Here is a link to the kit. I was given one free with my last order of Scotchgard, but that may not be available now for free. Personally, if they don't give you that kit for free when you order a case of Scotchgard I would not buy it. It is not worth 59.95 imho. http://https://shop.truckmountforums.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=22218

By the way I've applied Scotchgard after cleaning customers homes and using air movers the carpet was nearly dry before I even left to go to the next job. Also, I do make an extra pass on areas I think are getting extra heavy traffic with the Scotchgard, but I make sure to especially use air movers on those areas so that all of the carpet is dry in just a few hours. I've made a lot of mistakes with Scotchgard too and was even hesitant about offering it because I was afraid the carpet would take too long to dry until I learned these lessons from trial and error.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Type of Carpet.

I remodeled a room in my house and put black carpet in there that is not stain resistant. My question, is it OK to put Scotchguard on it even though I didn't just clean it? Its been about 1.5 years since I put It in there and the room gets very little traffic and appears to look new still. Or am I making it worse putting it on without cleaning?
Also Just cleaned my dining room and sprayed Scotchguard on it and it seems like it is taking longer to dry. Is that normal since I pretty much put a gallon of water (+1/4gal scotchguard) on it?

Chances are that carpet does have some type of protection on it. If it is a new carpet I wouldn't spray Scotchgard on it, and you should recheck with the people you bought it from, because chances are it has some type of protection. I would not apply Scotchgard to it until after you have to clean it and not before. I really don't think it should need it at this point.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Should you apply protector to carpet that was not just cleaned? The manufacturers will say "No! Never." Rember as Wand Wizard posted, you are coating the fibers. If the fibers have soil adhered to them, you are coating the dirt and keeping it on the fibers.

Soil can collect pretty evenly from settling ut of the air over time. A carpet that does not look soiled may still have plenty of dirt. But it is your carpet. If it looks clean to you, then don't fret over having applied SG to soiled carpet.

You did apply the right amount of product. It takes a while to dry. The Maxim Advanced formula that uses half the water will absolutely dry much faster. Air movement is helpful with any protector product.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Do you need Protector if you use encapsulation?:AddEmoticons04259:

Encapsulation cleaners do form polymers as they dry. However they are different from polymers in protectors.

Protectors are designed to stay on the carpet for an extended length of time. Encap cleaners are intended to release or break off from the carpet fiber when vacuumed. So the dirt they have encpsulated goes with them.

Most encap products are used on commercial carpet. Not all commercial customers don't spend the extra to purchase protector. So I would not expect a lot of your encap clients to also purchase protector. But it is a different type of product.