Counter rotating brush machine | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Counter rotating brush machine

Newcarpetguy

Oct 5, 2019
Real Name
Carl
Good afternoon,

I was hoping to hear some input about crb machines. I’m thinking about buying one but not sure if I should spend the money on it due to it being worth it. Any suggestions and are there any places to get them used or should I just get off my wallet and get a new one when the time comes?
Thanks in advance

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
A CRB is worth its weight in gold, especially when you go into that house full of dog hair.

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
A CRB is a must have for residential carpet cleaning.

Sometimes you can get lucky and get a good used one off ebay. I got lucky and bought a 15'' CRB about 7 years ago for $1200. I'm still using it.

I have a 10'' and 15''. I use the 10'' most of the time.

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
I'm currently selling 2 CRBs, both 15 inch if you're interested in one. They work amazing and I love keeping one on the truck with me for the real dirty jobs.

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
Ok I'll be that guy... they are terrible at everything people claim they do. Including removing hair. Buy a used floor machine from home depot floor rental, learn that tool and you will be able to scrub 5x better without unraveling and ruining carpets and possible tip blooming. They also get 2x more hair out.

Anyone with experience behind a 175 floor machine that's also used a crb will most likely agree. They are a joke because the 175 exists

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Ok I'll be that guy... they are terrible at everything people claim they do. Including removing hair. Buy a used floor machine from home depot floor rental, learn that tool and you will be able to scrub 5x better without unraveling and ruining carpets and possible tip blooming. They also get 2x more hair out.

Anyone with experience behind a 175 floor machine that's also used a crb will most likely agree. They are a joke because the 175 exists
I won't argue and say that a CRB will do as good/better than a 175. But I think there's definitely a time and place for both. My CRB is a bit under half the weight of my 175 and I'd much prefer to carry that up a couple flights of stairs rather than carry the 175 or try to bump it up and down one stair at a time.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Sad to say there is not 1 scrubbing tool that is versatile enough to clean all carpet.

crb - best for homes, small commercial, some rentals
175 - more versatile - better for commercial and rentals
bulky for some homes with furniture.
Much more aggressive than a CRB.

Reactions: TLC CARPET CLEANING

Newcarpetguy

Oct 5, 2019
Real Name
Carl

Thanks so much GeForce the reply. I’m new to all of this and I have an awesome Home Depot near me. Could you explain a little more about the 175 and what exactly I would need to get to make this work best? It’s very much appreciated. Thank you

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
And what type of pad would you use for commercial low pile carpet when using a 175?
Bonnet pro has the best pads, and he is a good trustworthy guy, just get a machine a standard pad driver and bunch of different pads to try out. Pre spray carpet, get pad moist and warm if u can, and fire it up. Cotton are the best for hair and removal of everything. But more aggressive.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin

Well I do have a 175 and have been using one since 1985 and still have one to this day, mine has a solution tank on it, i have the carpet brush along with the pad driver. No carpet cleaner should be without one, one of the most versatile tools you can have, you could probably buy 4 of them for the cost of one CRB

But with that being said, I also have a 15 inch CRB, an orbot Vibe and the little oreck orbital
as far as the CRB I wouldn't go as far to say they are terrible, I love mine but they are not good on all types of carpets. Just gotta know what to use and when.
But if i had to pick one to lug up a bunch of stairs it would be the CRB I ain't 20yrs old anymore

Reactions: OneBlueSummer

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Bonnet pro has the best pads, and he is a good trustworthy guy, just get a machine a standard pad driver and bunch of different pads to try out. Pre spray carpet, get pad moist and warm if u can, and fire it up. Cotton are the best for hair and removal of everything. But more aggressive.
I love Bonnet Pro, he does have the best pads and John is a great guy to deal with. I use some of his chems as well

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
My first job cleaning carpet we show up to an apt complex he says, ok grab that machine and get it up to third floor. Took me 10 minutes lol I was so scrawny then. Been hooked ever since!

My other beef with crbs is that I and my customers have never been able to tell a difference with pre scrubbing with them. Other than the fact they tip bloom and unravel carpet and rugs. I also use my own chemicals most the time so that's another yuuge reason we see no differnce.

175s spin the way they do too because it's the same way carpet it twisted. All carpet is twisted the same direction a 175 spins. That's another reason why OP machines can tip bloom too.

The only plus is when u run it with renovators off and the custy sees the clumps of hair

Last edited:

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
So what, we have different opinions, but at the end. we all strive for excellence.
I like gliding , effortless motion of my Brush Pro 20. Customers, on the other hand are busy making pictures of $3K+ , state of art machinery getting their carpet free of....well, ya'll can see it .
Faithful Orbiter is usually capable of doing the same for stairs.

Attachments

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Have you seen this video?

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
My first job cleaning carpet we show up to an apt complex he says, ok grab that machine and get it up to third floor. Took me 10 minutes lol I was so scrawny then. Been hooked ever since!

My other beef with crbs is that I and my customers have never been able to tell a difference with pre scrubbing with them. Other than the fact they tip bloom and unravel carpet and rugs. I also use my own chemicals most the time so that's another yuuge reason we see no differnce.

175s spin the way they do too because it's the same way carpet it twisted. All carpet is twisted the same direction a 175 spins. That's another reason why OP machines can tip bloom too.

The only plus is when u run it with renovators off and the custy sees the clumps of hair
Well how about that, I just learned something new, i didn't know that 175s spin the way they do because it's the same way carpet it twisted. But I never claimed to be a know it all anyway.
What I do know and have experienced many times is that when i use my CRB for pre agitation and customer is watching

1st most have never seen this type of machine before and seemed impressed and think i'm doing something special that past cleaners they've had never did

2nd is they are impressed on how it lifts the carpet pile up and they can visually see the carpet starting to become cleaner

3rd is what you already mentioned, custy sees the clumps of hair and what ever else is pulled up.

As far as the possibility of tip bloom, yeah thats true. I do a lot of older homes and some pretty trashed carpets so not to concerned about that, but as long as you keep the machine moving and avoid letting it run in one spot for to long your pretty good to go there with the CRB or an orbital to for that matter, keep it moving

To me it kinda falls into that category where everyone is concerned about using a pre spray with too high of a ph and voiding a customers warranty on their carpet. When doing a lot of trashed carpet in rental units/homes, I do what it takes to get it clean, there is no warranty at all to worry about anyway
Of course when doing a home with newer carpet that customer had installed them selfs its a different story

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
i believe a CRB is kinda the new fad that is fading.

When it comes right down to it it just doesnt clean as well as a 175.

however i do like it for getting into grout lines...great grout scrubber
and it is easier to use around furniture and homes.

but can be a royal pain if it doesnt have back wheels or a tank...
and most of them don't have a tank..some dont have wheels....

Last edited:

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I've decided to revive this topic. As I did clean carpet at martial arts place, I forgot to ask owner if he wants to clean the entrance with hardwood flooring. Since we had debate about efficiency of crb and 175 and I got no 175 in my van( except Orbiter) and we already confirmed that Orbiter is master of all tasks, I opted to use Brush Pro 20. It was in the building anyway working on wide open area of carpeting.
So here is a a10 minutes ( maybe less) transformation from dirty, , scuffed engineered wood to a .... well, less dirty engineered wood. Thanks to @Jim Davisson idea of having small samples of all of the possible cleaners , I proceeded to spray Squeaky clean ( Basic Coatings), ran Brush Pro with a blue brushes and then extracted excess water with specially modified carpe wand while utilizing mist from the wand( less than 200 psi) to rinse the wood.
That's how it went;
The last two pics are prove that semingly clean and well vacuumed floormat must give up its secrets under convincing power of crb.
I'm exited to see look on owner's face tomorrow when I tell him about his bonus; priceless

Attachments

Reactions: Jim Davisson